How old is Lift

Jeffo

Question

I might have missed it but are we ever told how old Lift is?

i think it's mentioned or hinted that her gift from the Nightwatcher is some sort of Peter Pan, never growing up thing so was just curious as to whether she is a lot older than she appears.

14 answers to this question

Lift is thirteen years old (Roshar's years so probably near the 14-15 for us) and she is not older than she appears.

She asked to not grow up to the Nightwatcher but the Old Magic could not do this and thereferore gave to her another thing.

Lift often mention to be ten years old from three years because she doesn't want to admit she is growing up. In a scene we have also the direct prove of her growing up, in that scene she had her first period and this make her freaking out a bit. 

Edited by Yata

On 12/17/2017 at 7:57 AM, Yata said:

Lift often mention to be ten years old from three years because she doesn't want to admit she is growing up. In a scene we have also the direct prove of her growing up, in that scene she had her first period and this make her freaking out a bit. 

It's implied that her first period is what triggered her run to Yeddaw, but we don't see it on-screen.  

On ‎12‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 8:34 PM, xinoehp512 said:

If she was ten for three years, that means she is twelve, not thirteen.

Ten, Eleven, Twelve.

Of course, there is some time between Lift's Interlude and her appearance in OB, so she might indeed be thirteen by now. 

Ten for a year, Eleven for a year, Twelve for a year. After those three years, she's Thirteen. If it had said her third year being ten, then you would be right.

I have a friend with an interesting theory about this. Basically put Lift is only 10 and has been for three years. This was accomplished by enmeshing Lift's Physical Self with her Cognitive Self. Giving her the ability to touch spren, convert food into Stormlight and not age. She won't age because her Cognitive Self refuses to grow up, and since Lift's Physical Aspect has been pushed into it this effect is seen in some form of Immortality. I think that the boon she asked for was to never grow up (possibly for some traumatic experience) and the curse she received was being forced to help Cultivation's plight, this is why Wyndle was sent. I believe he mentions being forced by Mother Cultivation to bond her? (If someone found the quote I'd be thankful) Cultivation is all about Growth, so she likely helped stunt Lift in order to help her healthily into the person she should become. All of this ould be wrong, so feel free to tell me if you think it is.

On 19/12/2017 at 6:53 PM, The Watcher said:

I have a friend with an interesting theory about this. Basically put Lift is only 10 and has been for three years. This was accomplished by enmeshing Lift's Physical Self with her Cognitive Self. Giving her the ability to touch spren, convert food into Stormlight and not age. She won't age because her Cognitive Self refuses to grow up, and since Lift's Physical Aspect has been pushed into it this effect is seen in some form of Immortality. I think that the boon she asked for was to never grow up (possibly for some traumatic experience) and the curse she received was being forced to help Cultivation's plight, this is why Wyndle was sent. I believe he mentions being forced by Mother Cultivation to bond her? (If someone found the quote I'd be thankful) Cultivation is all about Growth, so she likely helped stunt Lift in order to help her healthily into the person she should become. All of this ould be wrong, so feel free to tell me if you think it is.

The problem is we recived from books the prove of her growing up.

She had her first period between WoR and Edgedancer, this alone implies her physical and biological grow.

She actually asked to remain the same to the Old Magic but that was simply something the Old Magic can't do.

Someone believe She was Cognitivelly stuck (as Old Magic's effects are Cognitive in nature) instead of physically stuck, so her mind will have a weird development over the years...but She is still too young to try to find this 

On 12/24/2017 at 6:56 AM, Yata said:

The problem is we recived from books the prove of her growing up.

She had her first period between WoR and Edgedancer, this alone implies her physical and biological grow.

She actually asked to remain the same to the Old Magic but that was simply something the Old Magic can't do.

Someone believe She was Cognitivelly stuck (as Old Magic's effects are Cognitive in nature) instead of physically stuck, so her mind will have a weird development over the years...but She is still too young to try to find this 

I thought the first period was an assumption or was there a confirmation to that?

On 2017-12-17 at 5:57 AM, Yata said:

Lift is thirteen years old (Roshar's years so probably near the 14-15 for us) and she is not older than she appears.

She asked to not grow up to the Nightwatcher but the Old Magic could not do this and thereferore gave to her another thing.

Spoiler

I thought we learned in Oathbringer that Lift must be at least 100 years old?

The Stormfather says that Cultivation has gone too far in creating Lift. Lift is something new and very unconventional. It is hravilymimplied that Cultivation has done something here, not just the Nightwatcher.

Then we see the Cultivation scene where she intervenes to help Dalinar. Cultivation says that for larger boons, Cultivation must grant them. Then Cultivation says that she hasn't granted a boon herself in over a century. If we take these two ideas, it seems very likely that Lift is over 100 years old. 

Edited by teknopathetic

2 minutes ago, Calderis said:

@teknopathetic in Lift's interlude she says she been 10 for three years. That places her visit to the Nightwatcher/Cultivation after Dalinar.

There's no contradiction, she's 13.

Hmm. True. Your most likely right, but I would be more pleased if we discovered she has been experiencing time issues much like the heralds/nightblood seem to suffer from. 

Edited by teknopathetic

14 minutes ago, teknopathetic said:
Spoiler

The Stormfather says that Cultivation has gone too far in creating Lift. Lift is something new and very unconventional. It is hravilymimplied that Cultivation has done something here, not just the Nightwatcher.

Then we see the Cultivation scene where she intervenes to help Dalinar. Cultivation says that for larger boons, Cultivation must grant them. Then Cultivation says that she hasn't granted a boon herself in over a century. If we take these two ideas, it seems very likely that Lift is over 100 years old. 

Please edit your post above and tag it OB spoilers

On 1/3/2018 at 0:05 AM, teknopathetic said:
  Reveal hidden contents

[OB Spoilers] Hey man , i just saw that , but Dalinar got he's boon 5 and a half years ago , as was said in oathbringer, so I can only guess that lift got her boon after Dalinar if she has only been 10 for 3 years now ?

Edited by Skydancer
Fairly new to this now , just needed to add spoiler tag?