[OB] What truths must Hoid speak?

MonsterMetroid

43 minutes ago, MonsterMetroid said:

While we are talking about Shallan I see people saying that shallan has spoken four truths so far. Do we know this for fact somewhere? or are we assuming based off of the shardblade?

This is from a WoB that said at the end of WoR, Shallan was one level ahead of Kaladin. We know which oaths Kaladin's sworn (3), so Shallan must be level 4.

No indication what the first two are. Third could be I'm terrified, Fourth could be I'm a murderer, but there's never been solid confirmation on exactly what Shallan's oaths/truths have been.

2 minutes ago, MonsterMetroid said:

Thanks! Does anyone have a link to that? That is super interesting

I was just looking for it.  Here you go!

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/156-words-of-radiance-lexington-signing/#e2845

tganchero (paraphrased)

How many oaths can a Radiant swear?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

There is an upper-limit/threshold to the number of oaths a Radiant may make. By the end of WoR, Shallan was a step higher than Kaladin.

7 hours ago, CayJoBla said:

I think the idea of Hoid's truths is very interesting (if he in fact did bond the cryptid), but I'm most excited by the fact that he now has a friend to accompany him on his adventures :)

That does seem like something of a sea change for him, considering that he was previously a perennial loner. Now it's Hoid and the Loch Ness Monster, wandering the cosmos and doing... whatever it is Hoid does.

Narratively, a spren will be fascinating if/when we start to see Hoid as more of a central figure to the storyline and not just an Easter Egg for us to look for. Because we will know more about Hoid’s how and why as his Cryptic asks questions.

Also, the man likes to talk. Maybe he’ll just bond that poor spren to keep a literally captive audience with him at all times lol. 

3 minutes ago, TheBrian said:

I believe Shallan started over bonding Pattern as an adult, which would make her oaths to date:

1. I am terrified
  2. I killed my father
  3. My shardblade is not normal
  4. I killed my mother

Spot on, except you can drop #3. 

The first oath is the first oath for all orders. 3 truths puts her at level 4

30 minutes ago, TheBrian said:

I believe Shallan started over bonding Pattern as an adult, which would make her oaths to date:

1. I am terrified
  2. I killed my father
  3. My shardblade is not normal
  4. I killed my mother
26 minutes ago, Calderis said:

Spot on, except you can drop #3. 

The first oath is the first oath for all orders. 3 truths puts her at level 4

I was thinking that her 3rd truth couldn't have been about her shardblade since that is given after the 3rd oath, but now this makes sense.  So her oaths are:

1. Life before Death....
  2. I am terrified
  3. I killed my father
  4. I killed my mother

What do you think her last truth will be?  I was thinking maybe "I am only one person" or something along the lines of her multiple personalities.  Not sure if this is a big enough truth for her final oath though.

Edit:  Wait, now that I'm thinking about it, her 3rd truth couldn't have been killing her father since that was after she had used her shardblade to kill her mother...

Edited by CayJoBla

@Calderis I think we can take a stab at guessing what her childhood truths were, back when she was young and in a relatively happy family:

1. It wasn't really the axehound that broke the vase, I did that.
  2. I think Balat is really annoying.
  3. Jishu didn't really wet his bed *sniffle, sniffle*, I snuck into his room late at night and put his hand in warm water. It's all my fault!

Then she has a shardblade.

1 hour ago, hoiditthroughthegrapevine said:

@Calderis I think we can take a stab at guessing what her childhood truths were, back when she was young and in a relatively happy family:

1. It wasn't really the axehound that broke the vase, I did that.
  2. I think Balat is really annoying.
  3. Jishu didn't really wet his bed *sniffle, sniffle*, I snuck into his room late at night and put his hand in warm water. It's all my fault!

Then she has a shardblade.

Unfortunately events conspired to thwart her as she was about to say her fourth truth - "I want my mommy".

As for Shallan , someone made a hypothesis here that I really like, that #5 will be "I am Shallan" a la the Skybreaker Ideals.

As for Hoid, given how much rust he's gotten himself into I have no doubt that he has some juicy truths indeed, although with how close to chest Brandon is playing his Hoid info I doubt we'll get knowledge of them anytime soon, if ever.  I, personally, want to know how long it will take him though.  Other KR had some self-actualization to get through, while Hoid seems to be done all that.  I also think the fact that he's a Lightweaver, as opposed to any other order is of note, that might let us understand him better.

2 hours ago, Raykoda said:

As for Shallan , someone made a hypothesis here that I really like, that #5 will be "I am Shallan" a la the Skybreaker Ideals.

As for Hoid, given how much rust he's gotten himself into I have no doubt that he has some juicy truths indeed, although with how close to chest Brandon is playing his Hoid info I doubt we'll get knowledge of them anytime soon, if ever.  I, personally, want to know how long it will take him though.  Other KR had some self-actualization to get through, while Hoid seems to be done all that.  I also think the fact that he's a Lightweaver, as opposed to any other order is of note, that might let us understand him better.

Good point! I didn't even think of that aspect of my own idea. It'll be VERY interesting to see what Hoids truths are. 

1 hour ago, Ookla the Busker said:

(There's some evidence during the battle at the end of OB that she might.)

Yes, or that she decided to summon an illusion of Radiant in shardplate because she thought that seemed fitting. While she almost certainly has the ability, it seems bizzare that she would summon it without noticing

But then, she is insane.

On 12/15/2017 at 1:01 PM, RShara said:

Yep.  I doubt they'd go to all that trouble just to find one radiant spren, but if they HAD found it, it would have been killed or corrupted.

Wit's entire mission to Kholinar was to save that one wee spren.  He wasn't there to save Kholinar from the Fuzed and Parshmen armies, though he helped some with that.  He wasn't there to save Kholinar from the two horrible Unmade, though he helped some with that.  And he wasn't there to save the queen or the king-in-waiting or Shallan or Kal or any of our heroes or the Oathgate.  Wit spent all of that valuable time in Kholinar to find and save that single spren.

On 12/16/2017 at 4:56 PM, Jonathon said:

The real problem is that the Spren can't leave Roshar so what will happen the next time Hoid worldhops?

Maybe that'll be one of his later truths. "Someday I'm going to leave this world, my squiggly little friend. And it's going to kill you."