Keteks for all!

Oathforger

Does the breakdown of the five segments need to be equal forward and backward though?

No, there are no rules about how the segments need to be broken down. Thank you very much for your compliments!

Edited by PiedPeterPiper

Ok, I think I have finally done it, here, for your general amusement and such, is a rhyming perfect Ketek which coincidentally also involves a fart joke. Classic.

This Ketek was written before a live studio audience, their reactions can be seen (parenthetically) below.

Will he Billy taking part, move his arm to make-a-fart?   (audience murmurs)             
    Silly Billy that's no art!   (Boo boo, hiss hiss)                                                         
        No!!!!!   (the shocked silence of anticipation)                                                                               
    Is that Billy, silly fart-a-making? Arm—his moving part—taking....  (The terrible, fraught denouement, will he or won't he???? A terrible peal of armpit compression resounds!)
Billy, he would.  (The audience groans in disgust. Silly Billy that's not art)

Edited by hoiditthroughthegrapevine

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Soulbinder said:

Sweet birds song

Greeting the dawn

The sun rises in fiery glory

The dawn greets

Song birds sweet

The ketek is mirrored around 1 word, in your Ketek it would be glory, and it should have 5 distinct statements or parts.

It could be rewritten something like this:

Sweet birds song

Greeting the dawn

(New) fiery in rising, sunning the dawn

The greeting, singing birds, sweet

Your original one is far prettier, but the articles should be in there and only the hinge word appears just once.

Cities burn, people suffer. Why? Injustice, why suffering people burn cities.  

Reading, I smile and sigh.  Daughters finally asleep? Finally, daughters! Sigh and smile. I read.

I'll add one more about a miscarriage, sad, potentially triggering.  

Spoiler

Death, before life begins. Healing hurts. Healing begins. Life before death.

Edited by ConfusedCow

3 hours ago, ConfusedCow said:

Reading, I smile and sigh.  Daughters finally asleep? Finally, daughters! Sigh and smile. I read.

Reveal hidden contents

These are beautiful, thank you for sharing them.

• 3 weeks later...

It's not technically a ketek since it doesn't have a five part structure; about kaladin and szeth

Protected to die, fierce flames burning, 

Shadows grow, shaping darkness from light shone.

Vast, so powerful! Master of death!

Raging storms high above, fighting battles, 

endless death and blood spilt, 

broken souls weep, determined,

weeping souls breaking, spilling blood and dying, 

endless battles fought above,

highstorms raging, dying, 

mastering powers so vast.

Shining light - from dark shapes grow shadows;

burning flames fiercely, dying to protect.

Edited by ChildofHonour

Spoilers below for the interlude from Rhythms of War found in Brandon's newsletter:

Spoiler

Reading about Syl's previous knight's death inspired this ketek.  I would love some feedback on form and word choice!

Final rage;

crackling light.

Storm-filled eyes

filled storms, light crackling,

raging final

• 6 months later...

A little ketek I thought of reading the start of Oathbringer:

Saved by Bridge Four's coming‚ built to light storms‚ Navani's Stormlight building comes. Fourth Bridge saves.

And since there was a discussion about french keteks, I thought I would add my grain of salt:

Gnomes et dragons des temps anciens,/ oubliés,/ s'éloignent précipitamment des vies humaines tristes, terre-à-terre./ Tristes humains, nos vies précipitées/ s'éloignent, oublient les anciens temps des dragons et gnomes.
Attempting to translate in english gives:
Gnomes and dragons of times of old,/ forgotten, / drift away from sad human lives, rushing./ Prosaic rushing lives of humans/ sadly drift away from forgotten old times of dragons and gnomes.

Not very proud of the "drift away from" in the translation. What is one word in french is hardly translatable...

On 17/06/2020 at 8:27 AM, ConfusedCow said:

Hide contents

I absolutely adore all three of them. Both a perfect form and nostalgic meaning? Count me in! Especially the first one, that cycle of suffering and fire is smooooth.

On 15/06/2020 at 2:25 AM, Soulbinder said:

Sweet birds song

Greeting the dawn

The dawn greets

Song birds sweet

I didn’t completely follow the rules, but this is my best attempt. I would love to hear feedback!

The poem in itself is beautiful, I very much like how it articulates from animal to the sun then back. But as Hoid said, it's not a ketek.
The form of keteks is beautiful in its difficulty, and creating an half ketek like that always leaves one to want more. What you can do to ease it is delete some articles ("Dawn greets songs" instead of "the dawn"), and of course work on the middle verse. My take on it would be "Glorious fiery rising, the sun rises in fiery glory", to articulate even more the ketek around "sun", even though it gets a bit repetitive (but that's ketek for you). Breaking that mirror and giving a new meaning to the second half is what makes keteks difficult. A subtile way to break it (if that's what you want to do, a very symmetric ketek in meaning as well as words also has merit) can be to simply join the mirror of the middle verse to the previous one: Sweet birds singing/ greeting dawn, a glorious fiery rising/ The sun rising in fiery glory/, a dawn greets singing birds sweet.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to Beni-Kujaku for the compliments.  Made my day.  I agree that breaking the symmetry and changing the meaning of the phrases is key to a good Ketek.  I've found the best way to break the symmetry is to write the Ketek down and then smash your forehead against it.  

Here's one written by a Fused.   Feedback much appreciated, spoilers for Rhythm of War.  

Spoiler

Listening first, singing to Roshar, as humans begged we lived! Still dying, still living, we beg humans as Roshar... to sing, first listen.

On 1/14/2018 at 2:04 PM, amflare said:

Life Before Death

Abounding life // To give us all // Self // All of us give // Life abounding

Strength Before Weakness

Mind and arm // A protecting strength // Young and old alike, old and young // Strength of protection // Arm and mind

Journey Before Destination

Step by step // Moving onward // Forward, ever forward // Onward moving // Step by step

These are beautiful. I'd like to see some more keteks focused on the Radiant Ideals, including some more about these statements.

Third Ideal of the Windrunners - "I will protect even those I hate."

• Hatred limits, freedom beckons. Protection requires me to require protecting beckoned freedoms, limiting hatred.
  • Hatred limits. Freedom beckons: others to protect. Protecting others beckons freedom, limits hatred.

Here's some of my efforts. Thanks for inspiring me @amflare !

Edited by Approaching Radiance

2nd Ideal of Bondsmiths: I will unite instead of divide. I will bring men together.

"Me, calling to unite men divided. Together, act for honor. For, acting together, divided men united to call me."

On 22/01/2021 at 5:57 AM, ConfusedCow said:

Hide contents

Listening first, singing to Roshar, as humans begged we lived! Still dying, still living, we beg humans as Roshar... to sing, first listen.

Very cool ketek! You almost do not see that this is a ketek at first glance. This is the mark of a good one. If I may be an absolute nerd, you can see that the ketek is balanced around one word, "dying", which is probably the most important of the ketek, since it summarizes its whole meaning (the singer culture dies when surrounded by humans). This is more common among Vorin poets. However, the only official singer ketek when have is very different, in that not only the five parts are of very different length, but there isn't even a central word. Their keteks rely on this asymmetry to highlight their point. A fused would probably follow this rule. (this was just ranting, the ketek is excellent)

• 3 months later...

This is my very first one, it’s probably not the greatest, but I’d appreciate feedback 

horses running, watch it’s freedom, it is watching running horses. 

In honor of WoT, here’s another one. 
Beginning an ending, turning to rise, turn to end a beginning.

Edited by Cheyenne Sedai

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...