Keteks for all!

Oathforger

9 hours ago, Zath said:

@cubelith thanks for the advice! :) That's pretty helpful. 

Here's my next ketek:

"Sailors seek refuge, for home lies beyond reach. Beyond lies: home for refuge-seeking sailors."

The second "lies" refers to falsehoods/deceptions (in case that wasn't clear), which gives the second half a more metaphorical meaning of "home" than the first half of the ketek.

EDIT: And here's a ketek about me first looking at this forum topic.

"Coming in hopeful. Keteks better even than expected! I expect, then, even better keteks hopefully in-coming." ;)

Yeah, I know, technically "than" and "then" are two different words.  To paraphrase Pirates of the Caribbean: the rules are more like guidelines than actual rules...

Getting better! The first one is still a bit too simply reflected, but the double meaning of "lies" and "for" is just what I meant. As to the second one, you still shouldn't use homophones, they must be the same word. If we want to stretch the rules, we can go in directions such as changing adjectives into adverbs (I could've used that in my ketek about epic music, where "Anxiously, dreadfully sounds soft silence now" would be slightly more understandable).
But you're on the right track, my ward. Keep trying ;)

Personally I've never encountered anything similar to the ketek, which is a bit strange, since the underlying idea is very simple. However I have little trouble believing that Brandon would be able to single-handedly invent whole new genres of poetry. I'm no expert though, honestly I'm rather bad at literature, so I'm also eager to know a definite answer.

The underlying concept is not at all unique. It's Chiastic Structure, and is fairly common.. Here's another load of Legendarium poetry.

Feanor's son / resilient / creates music / Maglor! / Musical Creator's / resilient son: / Feanor!
A dual one about Maglor, the bard-child of Feanor, and then about Feanor - most glorious of all the Children of Iluvatar.

Bitter Betrayal / Unnumbered Tears / Fire / Death! / Fire Tears / Unnumbered Betrayal / Bitter!
Nirnaeth Arnoediad.

Hope Destroyed / Lord / Darkness, The Challenge! / Fingolfin / Challenged / The Dark Lord / Destroyed Hope
The Duel of Fingolfin and Melkor after the Dagor Bragollach.

Warrior's Son / Accursed Master / Fate / Turambar! / Fate Mastered / Accursed Son / Warrior.
Turin Turambar child of Hurin, Greatest of all Human warriors. Doomed by Morgoth, the Black Enemy of the World. Master of Fate by Fate was Mastered.

Here’s a few I wrote as a set:

We can’t forget, can we hide away? Hide. We can forget, can’t we?

Blackness engulfing, rising and trapping the world. The trapping and rising, engulfing blackness.

Sorrow peircing hearts, shattered glass heartbeats. Glass, shattered hearts. Piercing sorrow.

Also, one I wrote for a friend (I decided this one looks better formatted differently)

You, blessing all with light

Words lifting you

Above stars

Above you, lifting words’ light

With all blessing you.

recneps, your reputation rises! Thanks for answering my question. More information is here for others:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiastic_structure

Seeing how mathematical Roshar's super-continental map creation was and how large the concept of symmetry used in his worldbuilding, I now see the early conception in Brandon's mind for the Holy Vorin Ketek's creation.

I won't try a ketek of my own, I leave creativity up to other, better minds. Like many of yours.

(OathBringer spoilers, kind of)

Passion Brings Passion:

Spoiler

Listening without singing, shadow comes stormward. One made another, silently. Cry, forgotten, more. Once, all over-powerful, himself God. Himself, powerful over all once more. Forgotten cry silently; another made one. Stormward comes shadow, singing without listening.

It's a little load-bearing, but I wanted to see how far I could take it without the whole thing going off the rails.

Some very bad advice, in Ketek form.

All is vanity, all is spent.

Now dead, fall before truth.

The knowable Epiphany!

Know the truth, before falling dead.

Now spending is all, Vanity is all.

Edited by hoiditthroughthegrapevine

3 hours ago, hoiditthroughthegrapevine said:

Some very bad advice, in Ketek form.

All is vanity, all is spent.

Now dead, fall before truth.

The knowable Epiphany!

Know the truth, before falling dead.

Now spending is all, Vanity is all.

This is a really cool ketek ( even if the advice is horrible)

• 4 weeks later...

It occurs to me that this form would be especially effective in Semitic languages where nearly everything is a form of a verb, and the poetry already relies on wordplay through parallelism (at least in Hebrew).

Here's one:

Once Tanavast was God and Almighty, sang Honor to creation growing. Now grows creation, to Honor sings. And Almighty God was Tanavast once.

• 4 weeks later...

I FINALLY FOUND IT! 

I have been looking for this thread  for almost as long as I knew of 17th shard and I was not let down you guys have written some seriously awesome  keteks 

here are a couple I wrote around when oathbringer came out I hope you all enjoy them as much as I have enjoyed yours 

Love forever grow beyond never limit never beyond growth forever love 

ascend to below bringing light shine light bring below to ascend 

journey through realm beyond dedication achieves destination achieve dedication beyond realms through journey  ( i was thinking about  elsecallers and shadesmar)

( they don't have many of these on roshar but whatever)        reaching onward twisting roots buried deep tree deep buried roots twisting onward reaching 

flowing past forever gone unseen hand times hand unseen gone forever past flows 

surging scream twisted rush forward crushing storm crushing forward rush twisted scream surging (  highstorm duh)

Light on high striding forward true pure truth forward striding high on light ( wind runners although they are more honor than truth it's poetic) 

and one for me, 

wise heavens glow blue rise great nomon great rise blue glow heavens wisdom 

• 1 month later...
On 5/27/2018 at 6:37 PM, Honor's Radiance said:

It occurs to me that this form would be especially effective in Semitic languages where nearly everything is a form of a verb, and the poetry already relies on wordplay through parallelism (at least in Hebrew).

Here's one:

Once Tanavast was God and Almighty, sang Honor to creation growing. Now grows creation, to Honor sings. And Almighty God was Tanavast once.

This is a gem among gems! I'll have to try this out as a poet myself

• 2 months later...

I had a bit too much time to think this summer, so I came up with the trickiest heresy since the Last Desolation. Behold the Limemil. Or Kcirick. Or Limetek. Whatever.

There lived once maidens fair
And saw a toothy bear
The friend - deceitful friend
The bear's teeth - a saw, and
Fair maidens once lived there

As you can see, it is both a limerick and a ketek. Both funny and poignant. And awfully hard to make, I tell you.

Edited by cubelith

So... I'm working on an Honors English 10 project, and I have to compose 3 pieces of poetry about things in a book. So I decided to do it Ketek style for Way of Kings. I'd much appreciate any criticism.

This first one is a mockery of the second ideal of the Windrunners.

Spoiler

Protecting,

Keep others safe,

Will I?

I will

Safe, others keep,

Protect.

The second one is based off of Shallan's overall struggle to discover her identity.

Spoiler

Identity

Finding one's own self

Lies

Self, own one's found

Identified.

The third is based off of the monotonous life of a bridgeman.

Spoiler

Marching onward

Across chasms and canyons

Carry

Canyons and chasms, across

Onward, march

Once again, any criticism would be much appreciated, and maybe some advice for how grammar works in a Ketek. Thanks all!

17 minutes ago, Apollyon said:

The second one is based off of Shallan's overall struggle to discover her identity.

Hide contents

Identity

Finding one's own self

Lies

Self, own one's found

Identified.

Nice Appollyon!

Some tricks for writing keteks are to look at the hinge word as the point of inversion of meaning, use verbs that can change into multiple different words (the being verbs are especially good) and be spare with your articles, here's a possible revision to the Shallan one (that illustrates some of these points).

Identity is
finding self
buried in lies.
Truth lies in buried self
becoming identified.

• 2 weeks later...

Go now, you! Would that you would learn to love adventure... Love to learn, would you? That would you now go.

Sleep sometimes makes me tired. Restless nights awake. In bed, in awakened night, restless. Tired me, making (sometimes) sleep.

Always falling/never flying/endless joy/endless flying/never falling, always.

Difference between how Windrunners and others perceive their falling.

Endless boredom/no Sharding/awful torture/awful Sharders/no boredom's endless.

Does this need an explanation? My opinion versus School staff's opinion on Sharding during class.

Killing always/never resting/leaving nothing/leave, rest never/always kill.

The Blackthorn being urged on by his brother, the king.

Voicing pain/returning sorrow/have mercy/has sorrow returning/painful voices.

Szeth, hearing voices of those he killed while labeled Truthless.

Thoughts on these?

Edited by StormblessedSurvivor