[OB] Dawnshards

Chandlerhimself

I’ve been thinking about these. At first I thought they were just honor blades, but now I think they’re something completely different and most likely predate the other magic we’ve seen. The only info we have on them seems to be that they can bind things and that they destroyed the planet humanity lived on previously.

i think many believe the surges(nale bond/honor blades) caused the destruction of humanities former home, but that can’t be true because neither exsisted before humans came to Roshar. Honor also said that the dawnshards caused the destruction of the old planet which means they must be extremely powerful. We still don’t know how many of them there are or what they do specifically, but I have a theory.

What if the’re perfect gemstones. Of course they never leak stormlight, but they’ve also been shown to be able to bind one of the unmade. Another one Yleg-nar was trapped inside one and bonded with people when a small gem was swallowed. I’m guessing this gem is another dawnshard. Amaram gain tremendous power after eating the gem and if we assume you can trap large spren ibside them and then use those powers it become obvious how that could destroy a world. Imagine if someone trapped the stormfather and then had complete control over stormlight on roshar. Another possibility is that they can hold multiple spren. What if someone captured spren for all the surges and then consumed it, thereby giving themselves all the radient powers at once. 

I think uthiru might have/be one of these Dawnshards and the reason it isn’t working is because the spren that powers it is gone. Perhaps the spren the stormfather talked about Dalinar hurting. I’m also assuming that modern fabrials are human attempts to copy the dawnshards just like shardblades are spren attemps to copy honor blades.

what do you think?

• Greywatch changed the title to [OB] Dawnshards

To be absolutely clear, the surges predate both the Heralds and the Knights Radiant. It is true that the surges were not in use by the people of Roshar at the time the Heralds were created, but the surges themselves existed, and are the natural manifestation of magic in the Greater Rosharan system. It's entirely plausible that surgebinding was used to destroy Ashyn.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/145-when-worlds-collide-2014/#e2718

Khyrindor (paraphrased)

Do the Honorblades reflect the natural pairing of Surges, or did Honor decide which Surge pair to put in each Blade?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

The pairs are natural to Roshar in the same way as the metals on Scadrial.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/100-rbooks-ama-2015/#e3569

Thadamin

Are Spren able to manifest surges like the humans they are bonded to? Syl is able to Stick things together are other types able to do other things or is the sticking things together something else?

Brandon Sanderson

The Spren are living Surges, in a way. There are some "higher" spren which have more ability than others to touch certain surges. Honor, for example, is not a force of nature--but a force of thought. What is attributed to it relates more to the abstract.

And that didn't really answer you, did it? Well, hopefully it's enough.

Phantine

Is them being living surges the same as how seons are living aons?

Brandon Sanderson

Similar.

The dawnshards being perfect gems is an interesting idea. Capable of filling up with tremendous amounts of investiture and then fueling some god level surges.

One note is that the gems involved with Yelig-nar are never hinted at being perfect. Instead, they act as a temporary gemheart for Yelig-nar to bond with, they don't need to be perfect. In fact, Yelif-nar leaves the body after death, so they're almost certainly not perfect. Additionally swallowing the gem seems to be unique to Yelig-nar, I doubt it would work for bonding other spren.

My instinct, in this case, is that the dawnshards are an entirely different "thing" that hasn't been shown yet. But the perfect gem idea is interesting none the less.

What we know of the Dawnshards amounts to nothing. 

That said, the little we have heard... I don't think it's the gems. There are more perfect gemstones at the banks in the Cognitive cities and if that's all the Dawnshards were, I'm sure that something would have been discovered about them at some point. 

But the main reason that I disagree is because gemstones cannot bind people, and the one piece of information we have that talks about what the Dawnshards can do, is the Poem of Ista. 

"Taking the Dawnshard, known to bind any creature voidish or mortal, he crawled up the steps crafted for Heralds, ten strides tall apiece, toward the grand temple above."

—A quote from The Poem of Istanoted by Jasnah Kholin for mentioning Dawnshards 

Edited by Ookla, the Incalculable

• Chaos locked this topic