A Stormlight Game?

Stormblessed Dolphin

So, I'm not sure what work has gone into this before, but I think it would be really cool if we as a community of fans, made a table-top game for the Stormlight Archive. It could be like D&D, it could be cards, involve dice, etc. But if there is already considerable work done, could someone please point me there? I tried a quick search of the site, and didn't find anything.

Otherwise, This could be the place to bring together ideas and make something! :)

Well they do Sanderson Elimination here on the site, and someone was working on custom MTG cards, I can't find the thread now though so it might not have gone anywhere.

As far as a Tabletop RPG goes, I think the Fate system would be an excellent fit, especially if you wanted to go for the whole Cosmere and not just Roshar as a setting. I would play it for sure, I don't think I have the chops to design it though.

Edit: Oh and theres also the 'Cards Against the Cosmere' games every now and then, they're always hilarious.

Edit again: After looking around a bit, it seems there are also several homebrew rule systems for various cosmere worlds to be found based on the Mistborn Adventure game. Personally, I still think that Fate would do a better job both because of the character creation, and because of how well it handles a variety of epic magical powers.

Edited by Ookla the Cow

A game for the entire Cosmere would be amazing. especially if you were on a certain planet (selected at the beginning, and maybe different each time) which limited you to characters from that planet, or certain worldhoppers.

I don't think I could do it either @Ookla the Cow, but it would be really cool if we could get several people, at least, together to work on it. 

Edited by Benjamin_Stormblessed

1 hour ago, Benjamin_Stormblessed said:

A game for the entire Cosmere would be amazing. especially if you were on a certain planet (selected at the beginning, and maybe different each time) which limited you to characters from that planet, or certain worldhoppers.

I don't think I could do it either @Ookla the Cow, but it would be really cool if we could get several people, at least, together to work on it. 

That's exactly what im talking about and it's what the Fate core system is good at, as well as making really interesting original characters. Go check out some videos on the system if you've never used it.

I don't even think it would be hard to adapt it, Fate already has pretty good rules for how different types of magic affect rolls and it handles 'heroic combat' (such as a Shardblade fight where a single hit is death) very well with the stress system. There are so many different possible traits and abilities in the cosmere that I say leave them vague and let the GM and players decide what rolls they apply to narratively. Ex: you play a Kandra, so you have the aspect 'Fluid Physiology' which the GM has agreed during Character creation gives you +2 to physical defense rolls. Narratively, you could also use this aspect to give you the same bonus to investigation in the right situations, such as for picking locks like Melaan, or it could be used against you when the GM has an enemy recognize what you are during the fight and attempt to use acid.

I'd love to do all this, I just don't know anyone to test it with. :P

Edited by Ookla the Cow

On 12/16/2017 at 7:11 AM, Benjamin_Stormblessed said:

oh yeah, I remember seeing that now. That would also be pretty cool. But I think this has shifted to an entire cosmere game lol

7 hours ago, Quiver said:

@MasterJack was working on some card game stuff, if that's an avenue you're interested in.

So far as dice rolling goes... I'm gonna defer to @Claincy? I THINK him (and a few others) ended up making up rules adapting MAG for Surgebinding; I know they had rules for Awakening, at the very least...

If anyone's interested in a TCG as a medium for this, I've cooked up some rules for the Cosmere as a whole, and if anyone's interested, I would love if you would take a look and comment on my google sheet! (It should be open to comment but let me know if it isn't)