Official Star Wars Episode VIII Spoiler Topic

Briar King

The whole thing reminds me of the prequels when Yoda thinks they misread the prophecy of Anakin being the one who was supposed to bring balance to the Force. It makes the viewer believe the prophecy was misread because the one to do this would actually be Luke. But other people theorize that Anakin really did bring balance to the Force, and the misreading of the prophecy was referring to the Jedi not understanding that the balance could only come by eliminating both the Jedi and the Sith, not just the Sith. 

The prequels (as flawed as they are) do a good job of showing that the Jedi are an arrogant order in their own right. The Jedi still believed it was okay to use the power of the Force as long as it benefitted them. 

Liked the part in the trailer around 0:47 where you can faintly hear "help me Obiwan." Getting pretty excited about this one. 

5 hours ago, Jondesu said:

I've been convinced for a while that Luke plans to end the Jedi/Sith, Light/Dark dichotomy, and he'll be coming from a place of understanding both the Dark and Light sides of the force and being able to control them both within himself.  He tried doing things the "right" way, but when Ben turned on him, he sought out the first Jedi Temple, they said.  I think he discovered/realized that the whole system was built on a flaw, and that reaching balance inside each Force user is what's important, rather than balancing the Force. A Grey Jedi, essentially, if you're familiar with the EU.

You can really see a possible Swarm War trilogy cherry pick in there. I also think it's possible Luke has recently met a certain thing from S3 of Rebels.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2017 at 0:53 PM, Nashan'Elin said:

I wonder if it means singular or plural Jedi. Pretty big difference there

I believe it has been confirmed to be plural, through the use of plurals in foreign translations of the title i.e. Les Derniers Jedi in French.

• 4 weeks later...

Variety magazine had a nice long article about it this issue. There wasn't really any spoilers other then names for Del Toro's and Dern's roles and what Finn was shown in(should be obvious) in trailer. Mark had an interview but most of what he said is things he said in his Celebration panels. I ll link later if no one else does.

i will say that it sounds as if they are trying to be clever with Del Toro's name but if you read old EU it's almost lol worthy at their attempt.

• 4 months later...

That is the best trailer I have seen this year (that ending :ph34r:). This is my second most hyped release of this year now, after Oathbringer. Looks epic. Kylo Ren is the best character the Star Wars movies has, so I am beyond excited to see his arc. And this makes me excited for Luke too, which I have never been before. Phasma vs Finn looks epic as well (fingers crossed Phasma survives).

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/27/2017 at 11:39 AM, RippleGlyph said:

I believe it has been confirmed to be plural, through the use of plurals in foreign translations of the title i.e. Les Derniers Jedi in French.

Just wanted to clarify on this. Rian Johnson has confirmed it to be singular. Some of the translations were plural, but that was just a mistake. It is singular, and I believe Rian Johnson has also said that at the beginning of the Last Jedi, Luke is the last Jedi. (I could be totally wrong on that last part though, so please correct me)

• 1 month later...

I'm really looking forward to this next week. Although I'll be honest, I've intentionally avoided any of the trailers to avoid spoilers. (I've found that many action-heavy movies recently reveal too much in just the trailers which then makes the movies less enjoyable for me.)

Now I need to go re-watch The Force Awakens again...

This is the place to discuss Star Wars Episode VIII: The Lost Jedi. Out of respect for those who have not watched this movie, do not post about spoilers from this movie anywhere outside this thread. This is a major worldwide media event, and we do not want to ruin anybody's experience. For those who haven't seen the movie yet, Spoilers will follow. Flee from this thread.

2 hours ago, Pagerunner said:

This is the place to discuss Star Wars Episode VIII: The Lost Jedi. Out of respect for those who have not watched this movie, do not post about spoilers from this movie anywhere outside this thread. This is a major worldwide media event, and we do not want to ruin anybody's experience. For those who haven't seen the movie yet, Spoilers will follow. Flee from this thread.

I think you're confusing The Last Jedi with The Lost Metal :o

I'm so excited for this tonight! :D

2 hours ago, Pagerunner said:

Moved from the general discussion board. Also, merged with the existing EP8 discussion. PLEASE POST SPOILERS ONLY IN HERE! NO WHERE ELSE!