[OB] Clarification On Some Things

Kered

Hey, pals. I just finished my first re-read of OB. This time around I tried focusing on the significant events and their implications and I just want to make sure I got something right. Odium was able to "bond" the Thrill into Seades's soldiers because their souls were open for violence and vengeance. We see Odium saying it is possible to bond spren to man as spren bond to singers, it just has to be at the right time and place and with the proper spren. We also see Ash noting that it is a dark day because Odium has learned to bond spren to men and create his own storm. 

With that being said, here is my current view on what went down between Odium and Dalinar. By having Dalinar relive his past and Odium saying over and over that he'll take Dalinar's pain and burdens, Odium was trying to open Dalinars soul and heart to the Thrill so that he could use it to control Dalinar, make him a weapon. And by already agreeing to terms for selection of champions, Odium knew that controlling Dalinar and making him his champion he would also be "beating" Dalinar in the contest and was going to be set fully free. The other piece of advice Honor gave in the visions besides "Unit them" was the advice to attempt and convince Odium he can lose. By rejecting Odium and the Thrill, Dalinar showed Odium that he isn't right about everything and his plans aren't full proof and if that's case Dalinar showed Odium there is a possibility for him lose. Did I get that right, or am I making the wrong connections? 

Next and last thing. Dalinar and the Spiritual Realm. We know that when he created the perpendicularity, Dalinar touched the SR. What I'm not sure about is how many times he's done in the past. Is the dream he had at the end of WoR, the Nohadon dream in OB examples of him inadvertently touching the SR. At the coalition meeting right before Mr T dropped the bomb about the Highking and Dawnchat, Dalinar hears in his head someone saying "unite them" and the Stormfather doesn't know what Dalinar is talking about. This is builds a pattern because the Stormfather also didn't know about either of the dreams. Last thing, Dalinar here's the voices of the people hes killed just like Szeth, and when Odium touches Dalinar on the shoulder during the battle, Evi's voice was brought to the forefront. Is this an example of Dalinar touching the SR as well?

@Kered I was under the impression that Odium called forth void-spren (plural) and had them bond to Seades's soldiers. Once bonded, those spren used the bond to encourage the soldiers to embrace the Thrill. I don't think that all of the soldiers were bonded to Neragoul.

I'm not sure about the connections you are making in your 2nd paragraph. I'm not sure it matters though... you're asking questions about the details of a failed plan. Exactly how it failed isn't clear. I just sort of thought that Odium had agreed to a Contest of Champions with the intent of coopting Dalinar - a general who has never lost a battle - as his champion. When Odium was unable to get Dalinar, he had to retreat because his 2nd choice for a champion (i.e. Amaram) was also defeated. To stick around would have meant that Odium would have had to appoint an even weaker candidate as champion which would have resulted in certain defeat.

As far as the dreams and the Spiritual Realm are concerned, I think you're on the right path. We don't know for sure, but your thoughts represent the general consensus on the subject.

Edited by Ookla the Hatter

And the best part is that Odium now knows for certain that he can lose. He lost Dalinar whom he had personally groomed for years with the Thrill. He also lost with Renarin although he doesn't know it because he can't see him. Renarin has learned that his future visions are not necessarily correct but rather just potential outcomes.

• Chaos locked this topic