Yes...

Questioner

What are Feruchemy and Hemalurgy of?

Brandon Sanderson

Hemalurgy is definitely of Ruin.

Questioner

Is it of pure Ruin?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes. That's a very Ruin thing. And Feruchemy is more of a blend. Though… there is more philosophy to that and human construct—like the Allomantic table—than I think I’ve made clear before.

I think balanced is a better term for it than neutral. Both shards are represented equally in feruchemy. It lets you preserve something for later use which is the Preservation side of things. However,it lets you use what you preserved at a higher rate but in a shorter period of time which is the "Ruin" part of feruchemy. 

Magic systems come about from a combination of the Shard's Intent and the physical/spacial (Subastral as Hoid puts it?) area where the shard is. This is why all magic on Scadrial uses metal, and why allomancy is so preservation like and Hemalurgy is so Ruin like. Feruchemy is the natural reaction to both R&P saturating the local system. I believe there is a WoB stating Preservation was the one that actually gave people the magic system, or was responsible for its creation, but the magic functions based on both Ruin's and Preservation's power.

Found it! https://wob.coppermind.net/events/219-words-of-radiance-philadelphia-signing/#e7835

Spoiler

NutiketAiel

For Feruchemy, can you only inherit that? Or is there another way to get it?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah, you could obviously get it through a Hemalurgic spike.

NutiketAiel

Yeah, but that’s kind of a different thing.

Brandon Sanderson

It is hereditary, but it came from somewhere. Which is a RAFO, but it’s not a big RAFO. There’s not something you missed in the books, or anything like that. It originally came from Preservation long ago. And there are other ways to get it, but you have not missed any major plot points regarding that. Good question.

• Chaos locked this topic