[OB] Real world time frame between books

bdoble97

I hesitate to ask this because I don't want to look past Oathbringer partly due to the fact that was such an amazing book and it's been out for less than a month but after finishing the book I quickly went on to YouTube to try to listen to all and any book reviews or Brandon speaking engagement/ interviews that have been uploaded onto YouTube. In one of the interviews he stated it could take up to four years until we get book number 4 and was doing quick math if each book takes 4 years in between that's going to be 28 years until The Stormlight Archives is finish I really don't want to wait till I'm 60 to finish this series Stormlight Archives have quickly become my favorite book series I've ever read for me it's surpassed Lord of the Rings The Wheel of Time ,A Song of Ice and Fire as the greatest fantasy novel series. Do people think it will take up to four years for each book to be written I mean I hope not I might sound greedy but I really want a stole my archives book every two years I love all his other cosmere books but to me The Stormlight is the best of the best of Brandon Sanderson I would love to hear what you guys think

14 minutes ago, Korbin said:

In his future books he said that he is going to try to get it every 2 years but it may not always happen...

I can live with being 40 something when I finish The Stormlight Archives a lot less time than waiting till I'm 60 something

I kind of take a longer view. Stormlight Archive is a series, but it's one series in a greater story of the cosmere. It isn't like we won't have cosmere stories in the intervening time.

I am reassured by how much he planned for the complexity of a large series. Martin and Jordan got horribly bogged down by the complexity of the stories, and by compartmentalising it the way he has Sanderson seems like he is managing to avoid much of that.

7 minutes ago, Ailvara said:

He stated somewhere, that he'll start writing somewhere between autumn 2018/spring 2019 and it'll take two years from there. 

It really freaks me out, that we won't even get a chapter for so long... 

See that scares me it means I'm going to have to wait a while. 

3 minutes ago, aemetha said:

I kind of take a longer view. Stormlight Archive is a series, but it's one series in a greater story of the cosmere. It isn't like we won't have cosmere stories in the intervening time.

I am reassured by how much he planned for the complexity of a large series. Martin and Jordan got horribly bogged down by the complexity of the stories, and by compartmentalising it the way he has Sanderson seems like he is managing to avoid much of that.

That is a good point and we are supposed to get that next Wax and Wane book next year correct I love those characters but those books are so quick to read through

In last years State of Sanderson he predicted a fall 2020 release so thats 3 years from now. We will soon get the 2017 State of Sanderson and see what he says then. I would assume there will be a little longer than usual gap between the front and back five because he plans on writing the MB era 3 trilogy during the break. They way it is going I will be in my 60s. 

1 minute ago, StormingTexan said:

In last years State of Sanderson he predicted a fall 2020 release so thats 3 years from now. We will soon get the 2017 State of Sanderson and see what he says then. I would assume there will be a little longer than usual gap between the front and back five because he plans on writing the MB era 3 trilogy during the break. They way it is going I will be in my 60s. 

Ok cool do we know when  this 2017 state of Sanderson and will be. Hahah I do not want to wait till I'm 60 something to finish the series I'm only 32 now hahaha

4 minutes ago, bdoble97 said:

Ok cool do we know when  this 2017 state of Sanderson and will be. Hahah I do not want to wait till I'm 60 something to finish the series I'm only 32 now hahaha

Typically on his birthday December 19th Koloss Head-Munching Day.  I'm 39 just a couple years younger than Brandon. If it is 3 years a book I'd be 60 but I think there will more than that. 

2 minutes ago, StormingTexan said:

Typically on his birthday December 19th Koloss Head-Munching Day.  I'm 39 just a couple years younger than Brandon. If it is 3 years a book I'd be 60 but I think there will more than that. 

Ok excellent thank you very much

Just now, Josh L. said:

On the bright side, we're more likely to get the final book of "Stormlight Archives" before the final book of "A Song of Ice and Fire" so there's that.  

That's a very good point at the rate it's going I don't think we're ever going to get the final book of it A Song of Ice and Fire that's why I gave up on the series years ago

7 minutes ago, Song said:

3 years is pretty terrific given the work they involve. As much as waiting is hard- I have gotten through a tough year with the thought " At least I get Oathbringer at the end". Anticipation is part of the fun for me!

Very good point I was so excited for every Tuesday when the three chapters would come out it would be the first thing I do in the morning and waiting 3 years gives us plenty of time to reread oathbringer as many times as we want. 

I'm sure there's been other authors that have stated at their book series is going to be a certain amount of books but how often does that actually happened I mean did Robert Jordan before he pass State his book series was going to be 14 books. If I recall correctly Sam Sam it's only supposed to do two more books and then I'm doing three or four

Edited by bdoble97

Jordan had a really bad habit of saying "Nearly there kids!". He also got bogged down massively by the complexity of the threads in the middle, and eventually started saying that not all the plot threads would be addressed. Sanderson appears to be a much better outliner than what Jordan was, and in my opinion wrapped up WoT much more concisely than Jordan could have done. I don't really see him going over because the basic structure of the books compartmentalises the various focuses of the books more succinctly than WoT, in which you couldn't ever say that x book belonged to x character.

Also, Perrin isn't in the Stormlight Archive, so if you're using that as a point of reference you could remove at least half the pointless words Jordan wrote from the expectations for the length of Stormlight Archive.

4 minutes ago, aemetha said:

Jordan had a really bad habit of saying "Nearly there kids!". He also got bogged down massively by the complexity of the threads in the middle, and eventually started saying that not all the plot threads would be addressed. Sanderson appears to be a much better outliner than what Jordan was, and in my opinion wrapped up WoT much more concisely than Jordan could have done. I don't really see him going over because the basic structure of the books compartmentalises the various focuses of the books more succinctly than WoT, in which you couldn't ever say that x book belonged to x character.

Also, Perrin isn't in the Stormlight Archive, so if you're using that as a point of reference you could remove at least half the pointless words Jordan wrote from the expectations for the length of Stormlight Archive.

I started WOT when I was in high school in 2002 or 2003 and restart it multiple times before I read the whole series so I was never really a point that I was waiting for a book to come out like I am with The Stormlight Archives. In many ways waiting for the books is  a lot better than having all them already published for you. Especially having this website it says waiting for the books so much funner then having all of them out already. But I must say you hurt me with your comments about Perrin I LOVED HIM hahahh he was my favorite character from the whole series

1 minute ago, bdoble97 said:

I started WOT when I was in high school in 2002 or 2003 and restart it multiple times before I read the whole series so I was never really a point that I was waiting for a book to come out like I am with The Stormlight Archives. In many ways waiting for the books is  a lot better than having all them already published for you. Especially having this website it says waiting for the books so much funner then having all of them out already. But I must say you hurt me with your comments about Perrin I LOVED HIM hahahh he was my favorite character from the whole series

This is the first series I've REALLY waited for as well

I think my first one like this was Harry Potter :D It seemed to take so much time, and now it's been so much time since it's over... I grew up with Harry Potter, but with Stormlight Archive I'll grow old

It's funny now that I think of it. It might be the most certain thing I know about my such distant future. 

7 minutes ago, Ailvara said:

I think my first one like this was Harry Potter :D It seemed to take so much time, and now it's been so much time since it's over... I grew up with Harry Potter, but with Stormlight Archive I'll grow old

It's funny now that I think of it. It might be the most certain thing I know about my such distant future. 

I never read Harry Potter but my momther and sister loved them. 

Journey before destination, friends! Haha

(seriously I try to tell myself that it’s not that I won’t find out the end until I’m 60, but rather that I’ll get to read amazing BS Cosmere books until I’m in my 60’s! How awesome is that? Lol)