[OB]Emotion spren

Betrail

Something that has got me confused is why there are emotion spren. I am under the impression that most of the spren are of honor from the shattering. But honor doesn't really care about emotion... Not shardicaly at least.

Odium however..

What do you all think of emotion spren being a damaging blow to odium from honor. Where the spren might be actually corrupted by honor himself rather the other way around. That would also explain how odium is bound to roshar.

Okay, so Spren aren't created by the shards, they are made of the investiture of shards. Spren are created from the collective cognitive presence of what sapient creatures think. Those thoughts need to be generally consistent with the intent of the investiture they are made up of, but also remember that the actions we see of the shards are the result of the focusing by a vessel of the shards intent. The actual intent of a shard is likely a broader concept. Spren aren't specifically of Honor, many are of Cultivation. Cultivations intent is quite strongly linked to emotion, while Honor's intent is quite strongly linked to interpersonal interactions. Painspren for example are consistent with Cultivations intent, because pain helps grow and develop a person in specific ways.

Heres a relevant WoB on the subject.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/69-shadows-of-self-release-party/#e6134

Questioner

Abstract concepts, have representations in Shadesmar. Fear, whatever. So, now we are going into complete nerd-land. I'm a programmer. the things that I program, the programs that I make, to me they are discrete things that kind of come alive. So the question is-- The first part of the question would those have a representation in Shadesmar?

Brandon Sanderson

So here's the thing. A lot of people have to collectively start doing this for it to come alive. And it's not just any abstract concept, it is an abstract concept related to the Shards that are there and Investiture actually actively coming to life bearing that sort of personality and attribute. So that's-- you see things relating to human emotions, you can see things related to nature, because of Cultivation, you see a lot of things relating to how people interact with one another, from Honor. So the answer to that is that seems-- That's not really what spren are doing, but programmingspren you could see something coming from

Questioner

Programmingspren, but not a spren for a specific program.

Brandon Sanderson

Unlikely, yeah to have a spren for a specific program. There are some really weird spren, that are different. So it's not impossible, but it's not likely either.

• Chaos locked this topic