Congratulations to the New 17S Searchbot Mascots!

KChan

So, here's a funny story. While looking for 17S on Google so I could +1 it, I noticed something strange about our site's search results. So, while Comatose will always be the face of the forum, I must congratulate Lordofsoup and Silus - Google has dubbed the two of you our google search mascots!

• 1 month later...

Hmm. I noticed a couple of things from this thread.

The first is that the "Featured Theories" category is actually empty at the moment.

The second is that I seem to be able to create articles in any category, yet am just a normal member. (Well, a member with normal powers at least. Not sure I'd ever use the word "normal" to describe myself personally).

So, first question: are we gonna have some featured theories in the future? I've seen plenty of interesting theories on these forums.

Second question, am I supposed to have article creation privileges? Is that something every member is supposed to have?

Second question, am I supposed to have article creation privileges? Is that something every member is supposed to have?

i think only the admins have the power (people whose names are red), but i think everyone has the button to do so, and if you try it, it just tells you that you arent allowed to do that. Though, i could be wrong.

i think only the admins have the power (people whose names are red), but i think everyone has the button to do so, and if you try it, it just tells you that you arent allowed to do that. Though, i could be wrong.

If I click the button, it seems like I have the ability to create an article. It brings me to a page that is similiar to the page for creating new forum threads, and lets me preview the article and the like. I haven't actually tried finalizing one yet, but I could test it out and see if it works, if you'd like.

If I click the button, it seems like I have the ability to create an article. It brings me to a page that is similiar to the page for creating new forum threads, and lets me preview the article and the like. I haven't actually tried finalizing one yet, but I could test it out and see if it works, if you'd like.

yeah....uh...that shouldn't be what youre getting. You should get a page that says "you dont have permissions to do this"......

edit: oh snap, beaten to the punch by a chaos ninja-post

I have investigated and determined that there is no reason you shouldn't immediately get an error message.

Can you IM me sometime? I'd like to test if you can do that, but only if I'm around and can delete them quickly ;) (There are some unrelated things I want to discuss as well). I'm online almost all the time, but I'd like to coordinate this a little quicker than PMs will allow.

Until that point, one question: if you go to the main page, do you see an Add Article button next to Latest News?

I have investigated and determined that there is no reason you shouldn't immediately get an error message.

Can you IM me sometime? I'd like to test if you can do that, but only if I'm around and can delete them quickly ;) (There are some unrelated things I want to discuss as well). I'm online almost all the time, but I'd like to coordinate this a little quicker than PMs will allow.

Until that point, one question: if you go to the main page, do you see an Add Article button next to Latest News?

I don't have any IM software installed on this computer at the moment, but adding something should be pretty simple. What do you use?

To answer your other question, yes, on the main page I do see an "Add Article" button next to Latest News.

EDIT: All the "Add Article" button are gone now. Did you change something?

Edited by Mad_Scientist

Anything, really. AIM, Google Talk, or Skype would be good. Google may be best. I am [email protected] there.

I have solved the problem. I am just exceptionally dumb in words that you cannot describe XD. At least, I've solved the Add Article button. The promotion thing shouldn't be happening to you, though. Did my fix solve it?

EDIT: Yes, I did :P

Edited by Chaos

Anything, really. AIM, Google Talk, or Skype would be good. Google may be best. I am [email protected] there.

I have solved the problem. I am just exceptionally dumb in words that you cannot describe XD. At least, I've solved the Add Article button. The promotion thing shouldn't be happening to you, though. Did my fix solve it?

EDIT: Yes, I did :P

I'm not sure precisely what you mean by "The promotion thing." I have a "promote to article" button that still appears next to posts, but it immediately brings me to an error message when I click it now.

Setting up Google talk now...

I'm not sure precisely what you mean by "The promotion thing." I have a "promote to article" button that still appears next to posts, but it immediately brings me to an error message when I click it now.

thats what it should do.

edit: also, thanks for pointing the issue out!

Excellent. That is good news.

Though now for some reason Global Moderators can add articles for no discernable reason... wee.

Excellent. That is good news.

Though now for some reason Global Moderators can add articles for no discernable reason... wee.

and i shall use this new found power to RULE YOU ALL WITH AN IRON FIST! (until chaos fixes it)

• Chaos locked this topic