[OB] Oathbringer Cosmere References

LevenThumps

I love all the cosmere references in Brandon Sanderson's books, but I always miss quite a few when reading that I see a lot of other people catch, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.  If anybody has any nods to other books that I don't have listed, please share below!

What I've got:

Azure - Vivenna from Warbreaker

Nightblood - also from Warbreaker, a little more than a reference at this point but still originated in a different book

Mraize's bird is an Aviar (I think this is confirmed)

Kaladin sees a picture from the Court of Gods in Celebrant (Chapter 102)

Hoid uses Awakening in the Epilogue 

Epigraphs

I know there's plenty more, but I don't know fully what the references are (Shadesmar is probably filled with them, but the only one I can recall is using the term "Heightening".  Please share any you find, because I love making the connections between his books.

There is an Elantrian in Shademsar - he uses the term "Idos Domi" and has a glowing orb of liquid like the Elantrians in Mistborn: Secret History.

Hoid also has a strange jar that is black and white - I didn't recognize it from another book, so I'm guessing it might be a reference to a cosmere world we haven't heard about yet.  

Chapter 67, page 676 hardcover:

He hopped forward and began gathering his things.  Shallan slipped forward and glanced inside his pack, catching sight of a small jar, sealed at the top.  It was mostly black, but the side pointed toward her was instead white.

Wit snapped the pack closed.

Perhaps someone else knows if this is a reference to something else from the cosmere - it didn't sound familiar to me.  I suppose it could be invested sand from White Sand that has been partially drained, or maybe something from Threnody. 

1 hour ago, Llarimar said:

He hopped forward and began gathering his things.  Shallan slipped forward and glanced inside his pack, catching sight of a small jar, sealed at the top.  It was mostly black, but the side pointed toward her was instead white.

Wit snapped the pack closed.

Perhaps someone else knows if this is a reference to something else from the cosmere - it didn't sound familiar to me.  I suppose it could be invested sand from White Sand that has been partially drained, or maybe something from Threnody. 

She noticed this after Hoid finished telling his story of Tsa and Mishim, it's most likely invested sand from Taldain that Hoid drew investiture from while Yolenically lightweaving his story. I believe this correct, but do correct me if I'm wrong.

• 5 months later...

I think that the Court of Gods painting Kaladin saw in Celebrant was the one Lightsong himself saw depicting the battle with a black sword (Nightblood). It had/has a lot of red lines, and only Lightsong, a heavily Invested being, could see the image. Regular people seeming only saw abstract art, and Kaladin isn’t “regular”.

On December 8, 2017 at 11:33 PM, hoiditthroughthegrapevine said:

She noticed this after Hoid finished telling his story of Tsa and Mishim, it's most likely invested sand from Taldain that Hoid drew investiture from while Yolenically lightweaving his story. I believe this correct, but do correct me if I'm wrong.

On December 8, 2017 at 9:59 PM, Llarimar said:

There is an Elantrian in Shademsar - he uses the term "Idos Domi" and has a glowing orb of liquid like the Elantrians in Mistborn: Secret History.

Hoid also has a strange jar that is black and white - I didn't recognize it from another book, so I'm guessing it might be a reference to a cosmere world we haven't heard about yet.  

Chapter 67, page 676 hardcover:

I can't find the WoB right now for some reason, but Brandon has said that what was happening is that the white sand was already drained of Investiture, and because Shallan used Investiture near it (her illusion as Veil, I believe) it turned back to white, which is how he knew Shallan was there.

Edited by StrikerEZ

On 5/26/2018 at 2:29 PM, Temoo said:

I think that the Court of Gods painting Kaladin saw in Celebrant was the one Lightsong himself saw depicting the battle with a black sword (Nightblood). It had/has a lot of red lines, and only Lightsong, a heavily Invested being, could see the image. Regular people seeming only saw abstract art, and Kaladin isn’t “regular”.

It's not, the two paintings have quite different descriptions.

First Lightsong Painting:

He gave this last painting the time it deserved. The canvas was thick with paint, every inch colored with large, fat strokes of the brush. The predominant hue was a deep red, almost a crimson, that Lightsong immediately knew was a red-blue mixture with a hint of black in it.

The lines of color overlapped, one atop another, almost in a progression. Kind of like . . . waves. Lightsong frowned. If he looked at it right, it looked like a sea. And could that be a ship in the center?

Vague impressions from his dream returned to him. A red sea. The ship, leaving.

Second Lightsong Painting (Battle of Twilight Falls)

LIGHTSONG STARED AT THE PAINTING.

Red upon red, shades so subtle that the painter must have been of the First Heightening at least. Violent, terrible reds, clashing against one another like waves—waves that only vaguely resembled men, yet that somehow managed to convey the idea of armies fighting much better than any detailed realistic depiction could have.

Chaos. Bloody wounds upon bloody uniforms upon bloody skin. There was so much violence in red. His own color. He almost felt as if he were in the painting—felt its turmoil shaking him, disorienting him, pulling on him.

The waves of men pointed toward one figure at the center. A woman, vaguely depicted by a couple of curved brushstrokes. And yet it was obvious. She stood high, as if atop a cresting wave of crashing soldiers, caught in mid-motion, head flung back, her arm upraised.

Holding a deep black sword that darkened the red sky around it.

“The Battle of Twilight Falls,” Llarimar said quietly, standing beside him in the white hallway. “Last conflict of the Manywar.”

Lightsong nodded. He’d known that, somehow. The faces of many of the soldiers were tinged with grey. They were Lifeless. The Manywar had been the first time they had been used in large numbers on the battlefield.

The painting Kaladin sees:

And yet, nestled among the paintings for display was a small one painted from thick strokes of oil. White and red, with lines of black. When he looked away, he found himself drawn back toward it, studying the way the highlights played off those dark lines.

This one was sloppy by comparison. It looked like the painter had simply taken a knife covered in paint and slopped it onto the canvas, making general shapes.

Haunting, beautiful shapes. Mostly reds and whites, but with a figure at the center, throwing out nine shadows …

And Brandon's commentary about the paintings:

Gordon

The paintings (I think there were at least two, right?) that remind Lightsong of his dreams and the Manywar etc. Is the Artist someone we know? If not, will we eventually meet him/her in a later book? Does the artist hope to affect Lightsong this way, or is it just some guy giving abstract art to his God?

Jared

Is the artist that painted those paintings Hoid?

Brandon Sanderson

Hoid did not make the paintings. The goal of those paintings—and this is spoilery, by the way—the paintings are actually what the text implies that they are. They are abstract paintings which Lightsong, having a touch of the divine, is able to see and read into things that aren't necessarily there.

Beyond that, art is a magical thing in the world of WARBREAKER. When an artist creates a work of art, part of the artist's soul ends up in the artwork. Someone who has many breaths and who's Returned like Lightsong has the inherent ability to see into the art and perceive that. So Lightsong can interpret correctly an abstract piece, based on what the artist is trying to convey, in a way that a normal person couldn't.

I was not trying to make the artists anyone specifically important. In the case of those paintings, they are wonderful artists—I think they are two separate artists, if I'm thinking of the two paintings that you're indicating. As Lightsong has a splinter of divine nature inside him, he is able to interpret the paintings—to foresee, using them, and to see into the soul of the person who made them.

source

• 1 month later...

I’m not sure if this counts as a Cosmere reference, but the feeling Kaladin describes when trying to take the Stormlight from Shallan’s Lightweaving is extremely similar to what Vin, Sazed, and Wax describe when trying to use someone else’s Metalmind

• Chaos locked this topic