[OB] Who do you think the other Bondsmiths will be?

teknopathetic

3 minutes ago, NamelessThirteenth said:

That's never been a problem before...

I have to agree with this. If I may quote myself from another thread...

As far as I'm concerned nobody in the cosmere is dead unless they die on screen, their spren is witnessed departing, their eyes are burned out, their corpse is autopsied to check for hidden allomantic reserves, the corpse is then reassembled and awakened as a lifeless, and someone travels to the cognitive realm and witnesses the soul departing. It's possible I am exercising an overabundance of prudence though.

On 08/12/2017 at 10:17 PM, Kered said:

Playing into the "Radiant from another order becoming a Bondsmith" bit, I think Taln may be in consideration to be a good candidate to be a Bondsmith. With Brandon's tid bits about "The man who calls himself the Herald Taln" it could be assumed that he's an entirely different person after 4,500 years of torture. Or at the least his spirit web has been "scrubbed clean". I think Taln as a Bondsmith and being a real leader among the Roshar forces would make for an excellent turn of events.

When Dalinar was mystically divining peoples order (Szeth as a Skybreaker) he counted Taln and Ash among the nine.

Heavily implying they and Venli have to represent the Stonewards, Releasers and Willshapers between them.

I'm going for Navani bonding Uirithru and Rysn bonding the Nightwatcher. Not sure who's going to bond Sja-Anat.

On 12/9/2017 at 11:35 AM, PhineasGage said:

Ok, so I can see why Mr T may be a candidate but I think his inherent division (being in the alliance at Urithiru and an Agent of Odium) makes it difficult for him to be a proper contender - at least at the moment. I don't think his politics would matter to a spren per se, but he is in conflict with the rest of humanity and that is inherently divisive in my opinion.

With regards to the Nightwatcher - I am sure this is the 3rd spren for the Bondmiths. Remember that the SF had more autonomy and awareness after he received extra investiture from Honor so it is reasonable that the NW would be less coherent and understand less of humans. On top of that, the SF has had a few months being bonded to Dalinar which has made him even more articulate. We know the NW is linked to Cultivation so it makes sense that this  is her spren like the SF was Honor's. 

With regards to who could bond it, I am much less sure. I am not convinced we've seen the right person yet. Or perhaps, not seen enough of them yet - people who say Queen Fen, I am not disagreeing so much as wanting more evidence to sway my opinion. Cultivation is about growth - and perhaps order from chaos. I think we'd want to see someone who represents this. To me, Mr T fits it the best but as I said, I am not sure that his internal conflict will let him bond a spren. On top of that, can he be said to be "broken" when he isn't "broken" on his clever days and has no compassion?

I think his internal conflict makes the bond between him and the Nightwatcher more likely. After all, she also deals with polar opposites - a boon and a curse. The question is, which is which? Plus, Cultivation said something to Dalinar about the Nightwatcher not yet understanding humanity, so maybe she sees bonding someone who is being pulled in two very different ways at the same time to be fascinating.

On 13/12/2017 at 3:25 PM, Bort said:

I think his internal conflict makes the bond between him and the Nightwatcher more likely. After all, she also deals with polar opposites - a boon and a curse. The question is, which is which? Plus, Cultivation said something to Dalinar about the Nightwatcher not yet understanding humanity, so maybe she sees bonding someone who is being pulled in two very different ways at the same time to be fascinating.

I got the impression that Mr T's situation is more likely from Cultivcation herself rather than the NW because it was more complex than a simple boon like the options the NW offers Dalinar. I think Dalinar got to the NW before Taravangian got there so the timeline fits. It was supposition on my part though as I don't think we have specific confirmation.

• 2 years later...

I made a new account literally just to come in here and give what me and husband have been batting around here:

Stormfather claims there are 3 of them. One is away which the night mother has already said is slumbering. We know Dalinar is the first bondsmith as he is now bonded with the stormfather.

I felt pretty confident about the nightwatchers possible candidate but found myself here because I wasn't sure what the siblings could be. Lo and behold I wanted to say Navani makes sense for the sibling. So to offer my theory on the other possibility:

Night watcher- I noticed many mentioned Taravangian and I want to add one more thing: he wished for the night mother to give him the "capacity to save humanity". All things he has done has been, to his knowledge, for the greater good and not his power. He follows what he writes on his intelligent days. I think he is a strong candidate and is likely to seek her out again.

Edited by nicolascribbles

This might be kinda odd but I will say Rock will be the nightwatcher's (NW shorthand from here forward) bondsmith. Because the NW is from Cultivation, in addition Rock is a cook. So he unites people through food, good times, and stories. 

This could be abnormal, but it would fit in a sense. I also wouldn't be surprised if the third spren is in the KR city and Navani wakes it up and bonds to it.

Edited by Odin1981
Autocorrect fail

Did Rock ever fly via squire abilities? I just did a reread of the three books over the past week and I don't remember him using stormlight. In comparison to quite a lot of bridge 4. I do understand he drew the shard bow. But in theory given how strong he was (throwing a tree trunk at Kaladin) it wouldn't seem to be strange at least to me.

Sorry in advance: This gets a little disjointed as a result of a long day at work and me not going to bed at a decent hour.

I would like to second the nomination of Rlain as a possible candidate. Not only would he provide a good go between for humans and the parsh, but his brief PoV in OB is focused on the separation, thematically speaking. Throughout the entire snippet, he is focused on how they can't hear or speak the rhythms, how spren react to them more strongly than to the parsh, and how they just don't get him. Oh, they try. But, it's just a bit off. Him finding a way to bridge(hehe... I'll show myself out...) that gap between the two species would be kinda cool after that.

As for the other suggestions put forward... Navani, Mr. T, and Fen would probably all make interesting Bondsmiths. Though, like others have pointed out, Navani would be yet ANOTHER Kholin Radiant. Truthwatchers seems more her speed, anyway. the whole helping people through knowledge is kinda what she does. That said, I still wouldn't want her to become a radiant. And, I think Rock would make a much better Lightweaver than a Bondsmith. he's referred to his cooking as an art if my memory serves. And, if it doesn't, he certainly treats it like one. Too, he's always the one to cheer up the rest of Bridge Four, give them a bit of advice while handing over a bowl of stew... It just seams to fit him better than something like Stoneward(which is a bit tooooo on the nose) or Bondsmith(though, who's to say after uniting the peaks).

Edited by BasementDwellingRadiant

On 6/14/2020 at 4:09 PM, nicolascribbles said:

Night watcher- I noticed many mentioned Taravangian and I want to add one more thing: he wished for the night mother to give him the "capacity to save humanity". All things he has done has been, to his knowledge, for the greater good and not his power. He follows what he writes on his intelligent days. I think he is a strong candidate and is likely to seek her out again.

I came to the same conclusion.

1 minute ago, Use the Falchion said:

Do you have a source? I didn't know Brandon confirmed anything, and either I'm reading too fast on the Coppermind (very possible) or that's a non-recorded source (also very possible, especially with the Q&A's).

I think it might have been in TWoK but I don't have the quote word for word.

I'll have a look for it and post it here when I can.

On 12/8/2017 at 2:09 PM, ZenBossanova said:

Tarivangian is a real possibility. 

Yes, he is a bit evil, but it is his goal to unite.

Isn’t his goal more to preserve? At the end of oathbringer he trades humanity for the safety of his city state, I don’t see much uniting in that very defining decision 

12 hours ago, Trey6557 said:

Isn’t his goal more to preserve? At the end of oathbringer he trades humanity for the safety of his city state, I don’t see much uniting in that very defining decision 

You have to keep in mind, he went to the night mother and asked her for the "capacity to save humanity".

On 6/24/2020 at 1:04 PM, nicolascribbles said:

You have to keep in mind, he went to the night mother and asked her for the "capacity to save humanity".

But that is a very subjective request, by the end of Oathbringer, mr T did what he could to “save humanity” and in his mind on Roshar, humanity would not be extinct. But unless you count his founding of the the diagram there isn’t much uniting going on. He was content to sew chaos by assassinating the worlds leaders, and let dalinar do all the work uniting people - planning to swoop in and take control. I don’t see him as a Uniter is all.