[OB] Oathbringer not as big as Words of Radiance

bdoble97

The Grapevine is correct. Brandon has mentioned that they were nearing the limits of what their system could bind, so the options were either get a new book binding system, use smaller margins, use smaller text, or use thinner paper. Given that the book is thinner, I think it's pretty clear which option won out in the end.

9 minutes ago, hoiditthroughthegrapevine said:

Slightly lighter weight paper. I just gave them both a feel, and Oathbringer is definitely made from lighter weight paper (though still high quality, not like the couple microns thick paper they sometimes print the bible on).

6 minutes ago, The One Who Connects said:

The Grapevine is correct. Brandon has mentioned that they were nearing the limits of what their system could bind, so the options were either get a new book binding system, use smaller margins, use smaller text, or use thinner paper. Given that the book is thinner, I think it's pretty clear which option won out in the end.

Thank you

• Pagerunner changed the title to [OB] Oathbringer not as big as Words of Radiance
1 hour ago, Ookla the Leyspren said:

"Paperback" is simply a soft cover, right? Because if so, then yes, we got one.

Mass market paperback doesn't have standard page sizes, they're smaller. The mass market paperback for WoR is really dense...might be able to make one for Oathbringer but I wouldn't want to read it lol. 

3 hours ago, Ookla the Leyspren said:

"Paperback" is simply a soft cover, right? Because if so, then yes, we got one.

From my understanding there are different types of paperbacks. Broadly, your statement is correct.

A trade paperback is normally the same size as a Hardcover edition of the same book, i.e. the cover is what's different.

Mass market paperbacks are smaller in size, and what I think most people associate the term paperback with (I know I do).

EDIT: Here's a picture from Rothfuss's blog that shows Hardcover, Trade paperback, and Mass Market Paperback (in that order).

DSC03481-706697.JPG

4 hours ago, Bean Delphiki said:

Will it even be possible to fit Oathbringer into a mass market paperback style book, or is it just to big?

The UK mass market paperback editions of each of the books have come in two volumes. It is possible that the US version of Oathbringer will do the same (or maybe it'll always be a box "set" of two physical books, but sold as one).

Edited by Govir
Added picture

47 minutes ago, Govir said:

EDIT: Here's a picture from Rothfuss's blog that shows Hardcover, Trade paperback, and Mass Market Paperback (in that order).

DSC03481-706697.JPG

Looks to me like our version of Oathbringer is trade paperback. We got mass market versions of WoK and WoR though.

2 hours ago, Ookla the Leyspren said:

Looks to me like our version of Oathbringer is trade paperback. We got mass market versions of WoK and WoR though.

Yeah, that's what I would expect. Typically a mass market paperback is released months after the Hardcover editions. I was actually surprised when I heard there was a Trade Paperback already, as I thought they were typically delayed as well.

5 minutes ago, Govir said:

Yeah, that's what I would expect. Typically a mass market paperback is released months after the Hardcover editions. I was actually surprised when I heard there was a Trade Paperback already, as I thought they were typically delayed as well.

Not only that - we actually got it two weeks early.

• 9 months later...

Sorry to revive this thread. But I'm curious whether there is any news on the massmarket paperback.

I already read OB on kindle, but needs a mmpb-version for continuity reasons. I whish I started buying hardcovers when I ordered the first Sanderson books I read (Mistborn, Warbreaker), but back then I didn't know that I NEED to have them all :D.

On 2.10.2018 at 11:01 AM, equinox said:

Sorry to revive this thread. But I'm curious whether there is any news on the massmarket paperback.

I already read OB on kindle, but needs a mmpb-version for continuity reasons. I whish I started buying hardcovers when I ordered the first Sanderson books I read (Mistborn, Warbreaker), but back then I didn't know that I NEED to have them all :D.

My suggestion: start getting hardcovers now. Paperbacks are sunken costs in the end since you will succumb to the superior quality of hardcovers sooner or later. Also, the quality of endpapers (magnificient artworks in OB) is amazing. No paperback will be a match in this regard.

Edited by thorongil
typo

• Chaos locked this topic