[OB] Kaladin and Syl

bdoble97

17 minutes ago, delphinousy said:

. i would love to see him and syl be together in a romantic way, but i thin they'll just be friends/partners. if there is any romance, 

Please no, that's so wrong.

17 minutes ago, delphinousy said:

, it'll be between kalladin and eshonai. We know that she's supposed to have a book, and while she's 'dead' she'll probably do a return, and that when we'll get an explanation of whats going o with them, and kalladin's already sympathetic to the parshmen, so i think that's how they'll interact.

She won't return she's gone to the beyond.

Edited by Frustration

Based on their relationship I could *potentially* see it, there have definitely been things that could be interpreted that way, but based on who Brandon is as a person it seems highly, highly unlikely. And I *really* hope it doesn't end up being the case, that's... no good

Edited by Stormtide_Leviathan

On 18/09/2020 at 4:32 PM, delphinousy said:

i'm honestly pretty sure that kalladin is not going to be getting any romance. he's either going to die heroically in the last book, or otherwise be removed from roshar in some way, like becoming a new herald and being banished to braize or something. i'm basically getting VIN vibes form him where he's going to have an epic moment but not a happy ending. i would love to see him and syl be together in a romantic way, but i thin they'll just be friends/partners. if there is any romance, it'll be between kalladin and eshonai. We know that she's supposed to have a book, and while she's 'dead' she'll probably do a return, and that when we'll get an explanation of whats going o with them, and kalladin's already sympathetic to the parshmen, so i think that's how they'll interact.

Agreed, Kaladin's totally gonna die heroically.

i've since revised my theory, mostly based off of the 'syl interlude' that brandon sent out i think 2 months ago with his newsletter, so spoiler warning if you haven't read it.

syl wants to help kaladin be happy so badly, and she pushed so hard for him to romance shallan in oathbringer because she thinks romance is the answer, and inthe interlude she wants to be changed to be less spren-like and more human-like to understand and help him better. the stormfather has the power but not hte ability, and dalinar isn't able/willing to do what she asks, so i wonder if syl will have an encounter with either the nightmother or cultivation herself, like dalinar did, to request help. 
i can fully believe that cultivation would do something so that syl eventually develops over the 4th and 5th book until she becomes either fully human, or some humanoid spren being. the results of this would be that she and kaladin would be able to develop a relationship, but also that they would no longer have the nahel bond, and this might be the end of kaladin, that at the end of the first 5 books, he accepts syl's transformation and the loss of his powers, to finally be at peace and to go off into the sunset to make a family. it would ahve been more than just syl helping him to fix his issues and ge thim to a healthy state, but this could be the finale and culmination of his path.

There is a conversation between them when Syl reveals she's watched other people "being intimate" and when Kaladin tries to think about being with a woman and Syl watching (and I think he imagines her offering suggestions and encouragement), he is thoroughly uncomfortable.  Just her being present is unthinkable to him, let alone being involved.

• 1 month later...

I agree. Kaladan and Syl should end up together. Because as has been stated already, they have a very deep bond now. I can see them growing even closer. Syl is the only one Kaladan really trusts. He needs her. Anyway, if Kaladan and Syl end up together I believe they will be transformed into something very special. Since I read WOK the first time I always thought there is more to Kaladan than just a Windrunner. He has on occasion shown tremendous powers that I think maybe something different than what Windrunners are know for. But, I maybe way off base here. But this is what I wish will happen.

One of my friends (who is a rabid kalsyl shipper so take what she says in regards to the pairing with heapings of salt) compared certain elements of the relationship though WoR to the myth of Eros and psyche with Syl as Eros and Kaladin as psyche. Her argument was elements such as Syl's temporary 'death' followed by her being held captive by the stormfather is comparable to Eros running back to his mother when psyche betrays him and Eros/Syl returning to save Psyche/Kaladin's life. I'm not certain I buy the theory, but the parallels are interesting.

• 2 years later...

Hopefully it's not against the rules to bump an old topic, but I'm wondering if people have updated thoughts on this after RoW. 

Just going by how romance stories play out, I feel now it's going that direction. Syl is the only person who understand Kal, they have been through everything together, she's becoming more and more human.

I'm not really a fan of this ship, but the further it goes it just seems that's where it is leading. I don't think that might have been Sanderson's original intention but as the characters have developed it makes more sense. The first clue I got that this might be a thing was when Syl was talking about how much the Stormfather doesn't like Kaladin, and then when she formally introduces him. Felt like a girl introducing her bad boy boyfriend to her over protective father. Ever since I got that in my head, it seems to two hit a lot of romance flags.

Also, I do not think Kaladin will die in Book 5. It would not make sense for his ark or what he has been through and would add nothing to the story. Sanderson is very deliberate with how he handles characters deaths. Kaladin dying heroically is way too cliche. If anyone dies it's Delinar. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/4/2017 at 6:32 PM, bdoble97 said:

Kaladin and Syl are going to end up together. I don't know how but some way they are going to surpass the 5th ideal and Syl will gain physical form on Roshar. I've said it before I'm a sucker for a good love story and never never never never wanted Kal and Shallan to end up together. 

Have you read rthmy of war

On 12/12/2022 at 10:12 AM, Lonecow said:

Hopefully it's not against the rules to bump an old topic, but I'm wondering if people have updated thoughts on this after RoW. 

Just going by how romance stories play out, I feel now it's going that direction. Syl is the only person who understand Kal, they have been through everything together, she's becoming more and more human.

I'm not really a fan of this ship, but the further it goes it just seems that's where it is leading. I don't think that might have been Sanderson's original intention but as the characters have developed it makes more sense. The first clue I got that this might be a thing was when Syl was talking about how much the Stormfather doesn't like Kaladin, and then when she formally introduces him. Felt like a girl introducing her bad boy boyfriend to her over protective father. Ever since I got that in my head, it seems to two hit a lot of romance flags.

Also, I do not think Kaladin will die in Book 5. It would not make sense for his ark or what he has been through and would add nothing to the story. Sanderson is very deliberate with how he handles characters deaths. Kaladin dying heroically is way too cliche. If anyone dies it's Delinar. 

It's definitely more plausible now with ishar's experiments. 

I'm not a fan of this ship, but I'm generally always pro-platonic relationship. And Syl is like a combination of Guardian Angel, Fairy God Mother, Animal Companion, and Best Friend. With romance you can add "Literal Manic Pixie Dream-Girl" to that list lol.

But. If this ship does happen my theorized/preferred way would result in some way to turn Syl into a fully realized being that dissolves their Nahel-bond, or something to that effect. Kaladin gives up being Radiant in order to be happy, and for Syl to truly become an independent person rather than just an aspect of Honor/the Stormfather. Allowing them to relate to each other as equals.

2 hours ago, rabidhexley said:

But. If this ship does happen my theorized/preferred way would result in some way to turn Syl into a fully realized being that dissolves their Nahel-bond, or something to that effect. Kaladin gives up being Radiant in order to be happy, and for Syl to truly become an independent person rather than just an aspect of Honor/the Stormfather. Allowing them to relate to each other as equals.

I'm also not the biggest fan of the ship, but I really like the way you phrased this. I agree, the only way I feel their relationship could work romantically is if Syl is no longer dependent on Kaladin due to her nature as a Nahel Spren. Relating on equal ground.