[OB] Kaladin and Syl

bdoble97

Kaladin and Syl are going to end up together. I don't know how but some way they are going to surpass the 5th ideal and Syl will gain physical form on Roshar. I've said it before I'm a sucker for a good love story and never never never never wanted Kal and Shallan to end up together. 

• Pagerunner changed the title to [OB] Kaladin and Syl

I don't think Brandon will go for this, I'm 90% sure we've had several descriptions of Syl with her safehand uncovered but I can't remember a single time Kal has noted that in a sexual or even romantic way, so I think he only sees her as just another asexual spren.

4 minutes ago, Ymawgat said:

I don't think Brandon will go for this, I'm 90% sure we've had several descriptions of Syl with her safehand uncovered but I can't remember a single time Kal has noted that in a sexual or even romantic way, so I think he only sees her as just another asexual spren.

Good point about the uncovered safe hand I never thought of it as a sexual all romantic thing. Just a extremely strong bond that manifests into love if that makes sense.

14 minutes ago, StormingTexan said:

Seems like Peter Pan and Tinkerbell hooking up to me. 

Hahaha I can definitely agree with your opinion but I still would love it to happen

Syl is like a cross between his imaginary best friend, therapist and guardian angel.

While I don't think they'll ever get involved in a physical way, I did think it was weird that Kaladin wasn't more excited that he could give Syl a hug in Shadesmar.

Also I'd be kind of amazed if some Radiant in the past hadn't fallen in love with their spren (in an asexual romantic way).  I think Mercedes Lackey already did that plotline though with her Heralds of Valdemar series.

6 hours ago, Subvisual Haze said:

Syl is like a cross between his imaginary best friend, therapist and guardian angel.

While I don't think they'll ever get involved in a physical way, I did think it was weird that Kaladin wasn't more excited that he could give Syl a hug in Shadesmar.

Also I'd be kind of amazed if some Radiant in the past hadn't fallen in love with their spren (in an asexual romantic way).  I think Mercedes Lackey already did that plotline though with her Heralds of Valdemar series.

Yea good points. Mercedes Lackey I tryed to read her book few years back but could not get threw them 

8 hours ago, Subvisual Haze said:

Do you refer to when Lavan Firestorm was lifebonded to his Companion? I think that is different, because a) his Companion (whose name I can't remember) was definitely female, b ) she was about his age, and c) they were lifebonded, which is basically insta-true-love.

This concept bothers me just because of how close a Radiant and their spren are. In OB it was noted that the Nahel bond was even closer than a romantic union since it is a bonding/mixing of souls (I believe Notum explained this when they were on the boat in Shadesmar.)

I see Radiants and spren as pieces of one another and thinking about them being romantically involved just seems...wrong. Also, think of how horrifically complicated that could get if the relationship falls apart and then the Radiant is forced to use their Exblade while in battle. Worst breakup in the history of mankind...

I like Syl and Kaladin's relationship the way it is, an extremely intimate bond that goes beyond friendship but is platonic. Plus, Syl trying to hook Kaladin up with women is gold!  

2 minutes ago, Foxx said:

This concept bothers me just because of how close a Radiant and their spren are. In OB it was noted that the Nahel bond was even closer than a romantic union since it is a bonding/mixing of souls (I believe Notum explained this when they were on the boat in Shadesmar.)

I see Radiants and spren as pieces of one another and thinking about them being romantically involved just seems...wrong. Also, think of how horrifically complicated that could get if the relationship falls apart and then the Radiant is forced to use their Exblade while in battle. Worst breakup in the history of mankind...

I like Syl and Kaladin's relationship the way it is, an extremely intimate bond that goes beyond friendship but is platonic. Plus, Syl trying to hook Kaladin up with women is gold!  

So... Not incest but rather selfcest?

I, personally, really like the idea of Syladin, and I can understand why people would see it as weird or lessening their bonded relationship, but I personally don’t see it that way. 

Because of how many people are weirded out by it, I don’t see it as likely for becoming a thing in canon, but that doesn’t bother me too much. 

If anyone has read "His Dark Materials" Trilogy by Philip Pullman. I see the human-spren relationship being more like that of a human and their daemon. For this reason I am firmly against Syladin. Also, at no point do we get any romantic feelings about either of them from either of them. 

If you want to try and win me over, point me to specific pieces of text that support your argument ;)  

I see it as Kal and Syl  evolving and becoming something othere than just a Knight Radiant and then taking the next level of the evolution of KR if that makes sense. What would a Speb human hybrid Offspring even be the next evolution of roshar. I honestly don't understand how people think it's similar to the Lannisters that's brother and sister Kaladin and Syl are two separate individuals bonded together connecting Souls I really like this idea

2 hours ago, PhineasGage said:

If anyone has read "His Dark Materials" Trilogy by Philip Pullman. I see the human-spren relationship being more like that of a human and their daemon. For this reason I am firmly against Syladin. Also, at no point do we get any romantic feelings about either of them from either of them. 

If you want to try and win me over, point me to specific pieces of text that support your argument ;)  

Yes, this is how I see it. I honestly think a romantic relationship would lessen their bond, not strengthen it. They share something beyond and greater than a romantic relationship by sharing a bonded soul. 

cough

I don't want to crash the party, but...

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/171-oathbringer-release-party/#e8267

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

Is there even the babiest tiniest little bitty babiest chance of Syl and Kaladin ever being able to be together?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

That would take a lot.

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

But itty bitty babiest chance?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

Itty bitty babiest chance? Sure.

• 2 years later...

i'm honestly pretty sure that kalladin is not going to be getting any romance. he's either going to die heroically in the last book, or otherwise be removed from roshar in some way, like becoming a new herald and being banished to braize or something. i'm basically getting VIN vibes form him where he's going to have an epic moment but not a happy ending. i would love to see him and syl be together in a romantic way, but i thin they'll just be friends/partners. if there is any romance, it'll be between kalladin and eshonai. We know that she's supposed to have a book, and while she's 'dead' she'll probably do a return, and that when we'll get an explanation of whats going o with them, and kalladin's already sympathetic to the parshmen, so i think that's how they'll interact.