[OB] Half-shards? What Could Go Wrong?

hoser

2 hours ago, Karger said:

Their are only 10 orders of Radiant spren and one of those has only three members.  If every spren in the community knows almost every other spren and spren memories and social structures are anything like human ones that limits the spren population of each group to only a couple hundred members. 

Not sure how Notum knowing of Syl, favored daughter of the Stormfather, and the only honorspren to survive from the ancient ones that died during the recreance means they know each other intimately, nor means they have a very limited population. Kaladin became well known in the warcamps because he survived being strung up in front of the storms and he was a nobody slave bridgeman. 

Edited by Pathfinder

6 hours ago, Turin Turambar said:

I thought was because captain Ico a ) was an honor spren, b ), worked for her "father," if i remember correctly

Um, Syl's father is the Stormfather. Also, Ico is the Releaser captain. Notum was the honorspren captain.

5 hours ago, Pathfinder said:

Not sure how Notum knowing of Syl, favored daughter of the Stormfather, and the only honorspren to survive from the ancient ones that died during the recreance means they know each other intimately, nor means they have a very limited population. Kaladin became well known in the warcamps because he survived being strung up in front of the storms and he was a nobody slave bridgeman. 

Other way around.  I meant Syl knowing Notum who to the best of our knowledge is not an incredibly important person.

12 minutes ago, Karger said:

Other way around.  I meant Syl knowing Notum who to the best of our knowledge is not an incredibly important person.

Oathbringer page 1030

"Won't meet my eyes, Notum?" Syl said "I suppose locking me away here isn't too different from all those days you spent running about at Father's whims back home."

Adolin is familiar with the soldiers that Dalinar commands. Shallan was familiar with her father's servants. That is the only mention of familiarity I have found so far. I will continue to look, but if that is the reference you are referring to, then to me that still does not mean that the society is small in number. 

On 6/28/2019 at 1:38 AM, cometaryorbit said:

Yeah, I get the impression that there are not many at all post-Recreance. Originally, probably a few thousand; we see 300 KR in the Feverstone Keep vision, from two Orders. If that was all of those Orders, and if those numbers are representative for the nine non-Bondsmith Orders, there were probably somewhere around 1200-1500 KR total, so, if the majority were bonded... maybe 2000 or so Nahel spren?

Actually, I was wrong about the post-Recreance numbers. Pattern says "Spren with minds were less plentiful then, and the majorities of several spren people were all bonded." So they are more plentiful now, after the death of all those that became dead-Shardblades, than before the Recreance.

Presumably because the Splintering of Honor freed up a lot of Investiture to become sapient spren...

• Chaos locked this topic