[OB] a long thin silvery chain

StormingTexan

When I first read it, my thought was that it's probably literal silver and its astronomical value is because of how precious the metal is to at least Threnody; it would probably be just as valuable in the Cognitive Realm if you encountered Shades there and per Secret History there are people who are concerned about such things in the CR. However, the more I think about it, the more I really like the idea that it's dragonsteel, especially with that WoB that there's a 'super big RAFO' involved. It could be a more mundane material and the RAFO is how it got there but it seems a bit excessive on Brandon's part to phrase it that way, were that the case.

On 12/4/2017 at 4:53 PM, Elanmorin said:

Not to mention that I am surrounded by literal tons off the stuff so hearing it referred to as "rare" thoroughly kills my suspension of disbelief. 

Like Cam mentioned, aluminum was incredibly rare and valuable until about a hundred and fifty years ago when an economical way to isolate it was discovered. Brandon is aware of this and cited it as why he used the metal in Mistborn. Bands of Mourning even pointed this out, in the context of how much easier it became to get ahold of once knowledge of chemistry advanced sufficiently.

@Jeffo It's a concept from an unpublished work of the same name, actually the name of an entire planned series but only one book has been written so far and it's on hiatus until after Stormlight Archive is done. Brandon released a few sample chapters from the book recently (see here for the first one) which is why we know about it. Since the book is unpublished nothing in it is canonical (the revealed bits especially, as Brandon cannibalized them for Kaladin's story in Way of Kings) but Brandon has given no indication that the title is going to change when it is finally rewritten so the concept of dragonsteel itself is probably going to be pretty similar in the final product. It's a liquid metal that can be shaped by the will of its owner, at which point it assumes solid form and is then supposedly indestructible.

FYI, the Dragonsteel series is going to be the prequel to the entire Cosmere and will include Hoid's origin story (intended to be published separately) and the Shattering of Adonalsium.

Edited by Weltall

10 minutes ago, Weltall said:

@Jeffo It's a concept from an unpublished work of the same name, actually the name of an entire planned series but only one book has been written so far and it's on hiatus until after Stormlight Archive is done. Brandon released a few sample chapters from the book recently (see here for the first one) which is why we know about it. Since the book is unpublished nothing in it is canonical (the revealed bits especially, as Brandon cannibalized them for Kaladin's story in Way of Kings) but Brandon has given no indication that the title is going to change when it is finally rewritten so the concept of dragonsteel itself is probably going to be pretty similar in the final product. It's a liquid metal that can be shaped by the will of its owner, at which point it assumes solid form and is then supposedly indestructible.

FYI, the Dragonsteel series is going to be the prequel to the entire Cosmere and will include Hoid's origin story (intended to be published separately) and the Shattering of Adonalsium.

Sorry I got distracted when writing my post I meant could the necklace be made from Dragonsteel?

Edited by Jeffo

20 hours ago, Weltall said:

Like Cam mentioned, aluminum was incredibly rare and valuable until about a hundred and fifty years ago when an economical way to isolate it was discovered. Brandon is aware of this and cited it as why he used the metal in Mistborn. Bands of Mourning even pointed this out, in the context of how much easier it became to get ahold of once knowledge of chemistry advanced sufficiently.

You're making it difficult for me to maintain my irrational and unsubstantiated hatred of the substance in the Cosmere.

• Chaos locked this topic