[OB] a long thin silvery chain

StormingTexan

7 minutes ago, Rainier said:

Can you remind me where this is? I figured I'd remember at least vaguely something so cosmere-relevant, but I'm drawing a blank.

On Brandon's website. 7 or so parts, goes through the Bridge Four sequence from Dragonsteel Prime: https://brandonsanderson.com/dragonsteel-prime-chapter-25-bridge-four-1/

27 minutes ago, StormingTexan said:

Yep these come out. 

weirdalfoil_2322.jpg

Which itself is hilarious because people on Scadrial actually wear aluminum-foil-lined hats to reduce emotional Allomancy. Tinfoil hats are actually good for something!

It also makes me want to wear a tinfoil hat (aluminum, of course) to a signing. 

Thanks, @Ookla the Beardspren, I thought you were referring to Dragonsteel (the metal) being mentioned in the first part of Oathbringer. I haven't actually read the Dragonsteel Prime chapters, so I guess I should make a point of it.

Just now, Rainier said:

Which itself is hilarious because people on Scadrial actually wear aluminum-foil-lined hats to reduce emotional Allomancy. Tinfoil hats are actually good for something!

It also makes me want to wear a tinfoil hat (aluminum, of course) to a signing. 

Thanks, @Ookla the Beardspren, I thought you were referring to Dragonsteel (the metal) being mentioned in the first part of Oathbringer. I haven't actually read the Dragonsteel Prime chapters, so I guess I should make a point of it.

Most of it isn't canon anymore, but I'm leaning towards at least the bit about Dragonsteel itself and the magic system still being in the running.

1 minute ago, Ookla the Beardspren said:

Most of it isn't canon anymore, but I'm leaning towards at least the bit about Dragonsteel itself and the magic system still being in the running.

I think that is fair since Aether itself is considered canon. Would be nice to know from Brandon if Dragonsteel (the item) is also canon. 

1 minute ago, StormingTexan said:

I think that is fair since Aether itself is considered canon. Would be nice to know from Brandon if Dragonsteel (the item) is also canon. 

Well, he does say that he intends to rewrite Dragonsteel once the Cosmere is ready. The fact that he's still calling it that and not "what was formerly known as Dragonsteel" indicates to me the name and thus the substance is still in existence.

Honestly, I didn't pay much attention to the chain during my read through. But, hearing your ideas got me thinking.

On 12/3/2017 at 1:37 PM, WhiteLeeopard said:

A silver chain from Threnody :).

On 12/3/2017 at 4:18 PM, RShara said:

Could it be silver from Threnody?  Does Threnodite silver have special properties?

It could be silver from Threnody, but I don't think silver from there had any special (i.e. magical) properties. Then again, it did lose something when the Shades touched it. That could be more like a chemical reaction though, literally changing it from silver to something else (otherwise, how would you tell which silver was still good...unless it could be "recharged" somehow).

13 hours ago, echaozh said:

A silver chain, a metal to be worn on your body. It's definitely a metalmind. It's expensive because it's heavily invested. It may not be silver, just some silvery metal.

This was my immediate next thought, and I'll put the rest behind a Bands of Mourning spoiler warning.

Spoiler

It could be an unkeyed metalmind that grants an attribute that's hard to store.

Or it could be Dragonsteel. I have no idea what that stuff is though, so definitely not sure how to "test" for it.

I will say one thing: Whatever it is, I feel like it's *highly* Invested. We know beings in the Cognitive Realm trade in Stormlight, not spheres. Maybe it's worth so much because it has a bunch of Investiture itself; Investiture that can't be pulled from it (at least not as Stormlight).

2 hours ago, OathKeeper said:

Why wasn't it ever described as a necklace or jewelry? In both instances it is referred to as Evi's chain.

Ready...set...speculate!

Oh man.  I JUST came here to ask if anyone thought it was Evi's chain.  We know Evi and Toh stole...claimed their Shards from Iri.  Maybe they took more than just them?

Edited by RShara

On 12/3/2017 at 4:27 PM, Ookla the Insane said:

I personally think it's a Shardchain from a dead Radiant.

That doesn't make a lot of sense, since dead Radiant spren appear as spren in the Cognitive Realm.

I'm personally on board with the Dragonsteel group. From the Dragonsteel Prime chapters, we get the idea that Dragonsteel is an adamantium-like super strong substance. This would be valuable anywhere in the Cosmere. 

Dragonsteel, however, is indestructible.

-Frost, Dragonsteel Prime Chapter 25

Edited by Carbonationspren

1 minute ago, Cam said:

Related: the small orange spren guarding it, I think they might be painspren.

Not messing about.

Aren't painspren shaped and sized like human hands in the Physical Realm?  Which means they're probably attached to something rather large in the Cognitive Realm.

10 minutes ago, RShara said:

Aren't painspren shaped and sized like human hands in the Physical Realm?  Which means they're probably attached to something rather large in the Cognitive Realm.

I think they're described as small orange hands that just crawl about around the pain. I honestly think they're far scarier than their size would imply, especially if they're guarding such an expensive and powerful object.

They're described as human-shaped hands.  The corrupted ones are described (among other things) as "too large."  This makes me think they are human sized, normally.  Otherwise, wouldn't the description be, "tiny" or "small" human hands?

And what manifests in the PR seems to be just a tiny part of the full spren (A head, a tongue, drool...).  Kaladin doesn't say anything about the small orange spren having extra large hands, just that they're shaped like people.

I guess it depends on Kaladin's definition of "small."  If we're talking under a foot high, then probably not.  If we're talking 3-4 feet, then they could be painspren.

I'm hoping is anything other than aluminum. I work in a fabrication facility that deals primarily with aluminum tubing so any time I hear aluminum referred to as anything other than the most obnoxious substance in existence I die a little inside. 

Not to mention that I am surrounded by literal tons off the stuff so hearing it referred to as "rare" thoroughly kills my suspension of disbelief. 

7 minutes ago, Elanmorin said:

I'm hoping is anything other than aluminum. I work in a fabrication facility that deals primarily with aluminum tubing so any time I hear aluminum referred to as anything other than the most obnoxious substance in existence I die a little inside. 

Not to mention that I am surrounded by literal tons off the stuff so hearing it referred to as "rare" thoroughly kills my suspension of disbelief. 

It is rare when the processing tech hasn't developed yet.

1 hour ago, RShara said:

Oh man.  I JUST came here to ask if anyone thought it was Evi's chain.  We know Evi and Toh stole...claimed their Shards from Iri.  Maybe they took more than just them?

I don't know what it is, buy I strongly believe it´s not Evi´s chain.

Why would Evi´s chain be there? Why would it be so expensive? Why such a big RAFO?

I'm sure it´s something very mysterious with unsettling powers.

15 minutes ago, Awesomness said:

I don't know what it is, buy I strongly believe it´s not Evi´s chain.

Why would Evi´s chain be there? Why would it be so expensive? Why such a big RAFO?

I'm sure it´s something very mysterious with unsettling powers.

It could be Invested with Fortune and that's why it was lucky for Adolin.  (Wild chull guess here lol)

16 hours ago, Cam said:

I think they're described as small orange hands that just crawl about around the pain. I honestly think they're far scarier than their size would imply, especially if they're guarding such an expensive and powerful object.

Oops, I just found this deleted scene that Brandon wrote between WoR and OB.  It's not completely canon, but painspren are described as quite dangerous in Shadesmar.

https://www.tor.com/2014/08/06/stormlight-archive-scene-after-words-of-radiance/

• 2 weeks later...

How high/unrealistic is 1000 broams really?  Shadesmar cares about the Stormlight more than the gem itself so type of gem shouldn't matter.  1000 diamond broams is probably on par with Adolin's yearly fashion budget. So while certainly expensive for what it appears to be, I'm not sure it's prohibitively expensive.

The oddest part of the exchange is that Kaladin just brushes off the price as being a Shadesmar oddity without really being curious what made the chain expensive.

• 3 weeks later...

I think it's most likely a Dawnshard. 

From the Dawnshard link:  "One of the Dawnshards was said to be able to bind both Voidish and mortal creatures, but what exactly that entails is unknown." 

and:  There are multiple Dawnshards in existence, but it is known that at least one Dawnshard is different from all of the rest.

• 2 weeks later...

Semi necro post...

“The Parshendi? That makes no sense.” Gavilar coughed, hand quivering, reaching toward his chest and fumbling at a pocket. He pulled out a small crystalline sphere tied to a chain. “You must take this. They must not get it.” He seemed dazed. “Tell . . . tell my brother . . . he must find the most important words a man can say. . . .”Could this be the chain that the Smoke Stone Gavilar gives to Szeth?  Implying that it may have been binding whatever spren/unmade was inside it..

“The Parshendi? That makes no sense.” Gavilar coughed, hand quivering, reaching toward his chest and fumbling at a pocket. He pulled out a small crystalline sphere tied to a chain. “You must take this. They must not get it.” He seemed dazed. “Tell . . . tell my brother . . . he must find the most important words a man can say. . . .”

5 minutes ago, Omning said:

Semi necro post...

“The Parshendi? That makes no sense.” Gavilar coughed, hand quivering, reaching toward his chest and fumbling at a pocket. He pulled out a small crystalline sphere tied to a chain. “You must take this. They must not get it.” He seemed dazed. “Tell . . . tell my brother . . . he must find the most important words a man can say. . . .”Could this be the chain that the Smoke Stone Gavilar gives to Szeth?  Implying that it may have been binding whatever spren/unmade was inside it..

This seems unlikely to me as the sphere itself is very likely a perfect gem and therefore it is what would be binding the Spren/Unmade.

Personally, I think that the people who believe the chain is Dragonsteel are probably correct.

I assumed it was Aluminum.  Which likely cannot be manifested in the CS by beads or other methods.  So it would have to be physically brought in, and it may mess with the portals a bit.  So super rare, super resistant metal in Shadesmar?