Toaster Retribution

Least Favorite non-Brandon Character

41 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Toaster Retribution said:

I am at book 5, and I can't stand them. It seems like they are looking down on everyone, and behaves like they know everything. They behave like crem this far, in my opinion.

there is some of that, but given how incompetent most of the characters in the series are, they are kind of right to think that way.

Every character in The Wheel of Time except Hopper (the wolf).

Both Denna and Kvothe in Kingkiller Chronicles - - I think I'm gonna sell my hardbacks at Half Price Books 'cause I really don't believe that Rothfuss will ever finish the series at this point. If he does, I've long since lost interest, especially because of the "unreliable narrator" aspect of it.

Most if not all of the Krasian characters in Peter V, Brett's Demon Cycle series (especially Inevera). Their society is almost as weird & unbelieveable as the Aiel in WoT. (Note: This series is "strong R-rated;" there were multiple parts I had to skim because I don't need those images in my mind, and much of that related to how the Krasians treated both enemies and allies.)

Edited by old aggie
grammar

I really hate Egwene from WoT, also can't stand Elayne, Cadsuane or Rand.

Harry from Harry Potter.

Cersei from ASOIAF.

And Denna a Kvothe.

There are only a few that I really hate....

Cedric Diggorey from Harry Potter-- No particular reason...I guess I just didn't see what was so great? 

Joffrey from Game of Thrones--Ugh.

Tiny Tim from Christmas Carol--I probably sound really mean for saying this, but I don't like how Dickens tries to force me to love him.  The book is better, but the movie Tiny Tim??  *pukes* 

Elayne from Wheel of Time--One of the only girls I didn't like actually...

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 2:52 PM, Dunkum said:

for a different series, I find Rand from Wheel of Time to be wholly intolerable. it starts around the 3rd book, but really escalates a bit later on.

Amen to that!

Umbridge. I don't think there is anyone real or fake that I hate more than her. Voldemort doesn't even compare.

Hmmm...

probably Rey...

for being the most boring character ever...

and I would also probably second many of the aformentioned characters/

These are more a collection of ones I hate. The least favourite is listed at the end.

Denna from the Kingkiller Chronicle.

The main characters of the The Selection Series(s (Do you pluralize Series for this?)) - America and Eadlyn were both annoying, and I'm not a big fan of Erik either.

Mare, and to a lesser extent Cal, from the Red Queen Series

Anderson from Sherlock

And the least favourite is.........

Bellatrix Lestrange from Harry Potter. 

Basically everyone from Michael Vey. Especially Michael Vey himself. 

Edited by Chocolatespren

I might make myself some enemies by saying this but ...

Snape.

I despise this abusive, self-righteous buffoon so profoundly I have trouble putting my emotions into words.
And while I'm on that, Dumbledore, because he's a manipulative bastard who allowed someone like Snape to be around children.

Taylor from Worm. I understand she’s meant to be a bullying victim whose deep trauma has made her cynical and aloof, but her lack of compassion for other outsiders (Rachel, most memorably) just made her seem judgmental and hypocritical. And her disregard for the consequences of her actions made her come across as self-centered and immature. 

On 2018-12-13 at 10:57 AM, Winds Alight said:

I might make myself some enemies by saying this but ...

Snape.

I despise this abusive, self-righteous buffoon so profoundly I have trouble putting my emotions into words.
And while I'm on that, Dumbledore, because he's a manipulative bastard who allowed someone like Snape to be around children.

I really like Snape. He is a complex figure. A very bad teacher, yes, but also a very fascinating character. And he is kind of badass too. 

Young Dumbledore is pretty great too. Jude Law is awesome. 

7 hours ago, Toaster Retribution said:

I really like Snape. He is a complex figure. A very bad teacher, yes, but also a very fascinating character. And he is kind of badass too. 

I like him too. He's a broken person who has let that brokenness drive him to treat people badly, but he's also fought Voldemort in ways few other people would or could. If I met him in real life, I doubt I'd like him; but that's the beauty of fiction: you get to see beyond the surface and come to appreciate people you might not like otherwise. I'm not excusing his actions in the series, but I am saying that given his past, they're understandable; and they don't keep me from liking him as a character. 

Not a huge fan of Harry, though. 

Lord Foul: Chronicles of Thomas Covenant.

Tanis Half-elven: Dragonlance.

If you're counting Wheel of Time in this, I HATE Nynaeve. Egwene and Elayne come pretty dang close.