Least Favorite non-Brandon Character

3 hours ago, Toaster Retribution said:

I am at book 5, and I can't stand them. It seems like they are looking down on everyone, and behaves like they know everything. They behave like crem this far, in my opinion.

there is some of that, but given how incompetent most of the characters in the series are, they are kind of right to think that way.

Every character in The Wheel of Time except Hopper (the wolf).

Both Denna and Kvothe in Kingkiller Chronicles - - I think I'm gonna sell my hardbacks at Half Price Books 'cause I really don't believe that Rothfuss will ever finish the series at this point. If he does, I've long since lost interest, especially because of the "unreliable narrator" aspect of it.

Most if not all of the Krasian characters in Peter V, Brett's Demon Cycle series (especially Inevera). Their society is almost as weird & unbelieveable as the Aiel in WoT. (Note: This series is "strong R-rated;" there were multiple parts I had to skim because I don't need those images in my mind, and much of that related to how the Krasians treated both enemies and allies.)

Edited by old aggie
grammar

There are only a few that I really hate....

Cedric Diggorey from Harry Potter-- No particular reason...I guess I just didn't see what was so great? 

Joffrey from Game of Thrones--Ugh.

Tiny Tim from Christmas Carol--I probably sound really mean for saying this, but I don't like how Dickens tries to force me to love him.  The book is better, but the movie Tiny Tim??  *pukes* 

Elayne from Wheel of Time--One of the only girls I didn't like actually...

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 2:52 PM, Dunkum said:

for a different series, I find Rand from Wheel of Time to be wholly intolerable. it starts around the 3rd book, but really escalates a bit later on.

Amen to that!

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

These are more a collection of ones I hate. The least favourite is listed at the end.

Denna from the Kingkiller Chronicle.

The main characters of the The Selection Series(s (Do you pluralize Series for this?)) - America and Eadlyn were both annoying, and I'm not a big fan of Erik either.

Mare, and to a lesser extent Cal, from the Red Queen Series

Anderson from Sherlock

And the least favourite is.........

Bellatrix Lestrange from Harry Potter. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Taylor from Worm. I understand she’s meant to be a bullying victim whose deep trauma has made her cynical and aloof, but her lack of compassion for other outsiders (Rachel, most memorably) just made her seem judgmental and hypocritical. And her disregard for the consequences of her actions made her come across as self-centered and immature. 

On 2018-12-13 at 10:57 AM, Winds Alight said:

I might make myself some enemies by saying this but ...

Snape.

I despise this abusive, self-righteous buffoon so profoundly I have trouble putting my emotions into words.
And while I'm on that, Dumbledore, because he's a manipulative bastard who allowed someone like Snape to be around children.

I really like Snape. He is a complex figure. A very bad teacher, yes, but also a very fascinating character. And he is kind of badass too. 

Young Dumbledore is pretty great too. Jude Law is awesome. 

7 hours ago, Toaster Retribution said:

I really like Snape. He is a complex figure. A very bad teacher, yes, but also a very fascinating character. And he is kind of badass too. 

I like him too. He's a broken person who has let that brokenness drive him to treat people badly, but he's also fought Voldemort in ways few other people would or could. If I met him in real life, I doubt I'd like him; but that's the beauty of fiction: you get to see beyond the surface and come to appreciate people you might not like otherwise. I'm not excusing his actions in the series, but I am saying that given his past, they're understandable; and they don't keep me from liking him as a character. 

Not a huge fan of Harry, though. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 12/19/2017 at 1:35 PM, TheVillageIdiot said:

Does it have to be from a book? If not then my least favorite character of all time must be Carth Onasi from "Kights of the Old Republic" (also know as KOTOR, a old starwars video game.) 

Carth can be annoying sometimes (I overall like him, felt he had the best voice-acting), but did you ever play the second game? Let me tell you- Kreia is worse. So, SO much worse... Words cannot describe the hatred I have for her.

Also- Andrei, from the new movie Tenet, is a pretty vile character. As is Cadsuane from the Wheel of Time.

I don't include characters I love to hate.  Dolores Umbridge is not my least favourite character, because, even though she's like a merging of some really nasty people from my real life, it's just so satisfying when she gets her just deserts.

Bit of a rant -

My least favourite character is Zolena (aka Zelandoni Who Is First) from The Land of Painted Caves.  She's a blatant author-insertion character.  Turns out that the main male character once had an unhealthy sexual relationship with her (eyeroll).  Zolena talks about how overweight she is, and how it's strange because she doesn't eat any more food than any of the other characters - that just felt like the author talking about herself.

But the thing I found horrible about Zolena was related to another young lady in the story.  I can't remember the full details, or her name, let's call her Candy.  I remember that Candy's husband recently fell down a cliff and died.  She is from another tribe, she is in mourning, and she has lost all of her stability.  Zolena is the tribe's spiritual guide.  She should be offering comfort and guidance.  Instead, Zolena gossips about Candy to Ayla, and is directly quite awful to Candy.  Apparently Candy has been flirting with some other young men in the tribe.  Well, of course she has, she's lost her husband and is alone in a strange tribe.  Zolena makes it clear that Candy should just grow up, and go on a dangerous journey back to her mother's tribe, and that's that.  There weren't any scenes where we see Candy acting badly, actually demonstrating anything like inappropriate behaviour, or anything.  It just comes out of the blue - Zolena spouting nasty bile about a character who apparently needs emotional support and isn't receiving it.

As Zolena is such a blatant author-insertion character, it actually made me dislike the author somewhat too, and wonder whether she was talking bad about someone she knows in real life with this bizarre treatment of her grieving widow character.

X(

Edited by Snorkel

Probably Severus Snape. I LOATHE Snape. To me he's the ultimate "nice guy" who thinks he "deserves" the girl because he was her friend first. People rag on Gryffindor for winning the House Cup every year, but one could see that as Dumbledore reversing all of the points that Snape took away when he was being a jerk and a bully. And yes, Snape was a bully. Not just to Harry (which is a entire separate issue), but to Neville, a child whose parental situation he undoubtedly knew about*; he was a bully to Hermione because she was smart; and he was a bully to Ron (because everyone was a bully to Ron). 

As a teacher Snape is also terrible. Potions is like chemistry. Rules need to be laid down and the teacher needs to be strict. But cruelty and mockery is on the teacher, not the subject. And yes, Snape is cruel. 

Spoiler

Snape's ultimate allegiance garners no sympathy from me either. Just because he's acting like he's on the side of evil doesn't mean that cruelty when they're not around is necessary. No, his actions are purely out of spite and malice, even when no one is watching. 

Other characters I loathe: Kylo Ren from Star Wars' Sequel Trilogy, the serial killer in Lonesome Dove (I've yet to finish it because one scene broke me), and probably Cadsuane from The Wheel of Time. 

On 12/13/2018 at 3:57 AM, Winds Alight said:

I might make myself some enemies by saying this but ...

Snape.

I despise this abusive, self-righteous buffoon so profoundly I have trouble putting my emotions into words.

Yup. I'm studying to be a teacher at the moment; but even before then, I knew that Snape was an affront to all morally-decent teachers.

On 12/13/2018 at 3:57 AM, Winds Alight said:

And while I'm on that, Dumbledore, because he's a manipulative bastard who allowed someone like Snape to be around children.

I really like Dumbledore, but I definitely see where you're coming from and actually agree on some points. 

*NO STUDENT SHOULD HAVE HIS OR HER GREATEST FEAR BE A TEACHER. Let me repeat that. NO STUDENT SHOULD HAVE HIS OR HER GREATEST FEAR BE A TEACHER. 

Edited by Use the Falchion

9 minutes ago, Dunkum said:

A couple peopel have mentioned Cadsuane today, and i'm curious why.  I didn't have any particular problem with her, and she certainly comes off a lot more competent than 99% of the other Aes Sedai.

I know in my case, she it was like she was trying to be Moiraine without any of the charm, sympathy, or actual care. 

Cadsuane is trying to help Rand as an Aes Sedai when Rand has made it abundantly clear that he doesn't trust Aes Sedai. He trusts Nynaeve because she's his friend and he knows she has his best interests at heart. Rand started to trust Moiraine 

Spoiler

because Moiraine tried to reach him where he was.

Cadsuane shows none of the same care. She's comes into the picture and breaks all of the things that have been established about Aes Sedai (power level, age, respect, etc) seemingly out of nowhere, making her feel like a bit of a Deus Ex Machina. 

And overall, she's "proven right" with her mannerisms and teachings, despite the fact that she nearly 

Spoiler

drove Rand to destroy the world due to her manipulation. 

Oh, and she's a bully. 

See my perspective on it is that by the time she met Rand, he was somewhat of a bully himself.  he was driven to it for solid reasons, but the end result is the same. having someone who won't put up with his worst impulses is something he needed badly.  And while she does make an effort to restrain his personality, she isn't as manipulative with him as just about every other Aes Sedai he has every met, Moiraine included (early on anyway)

2 hours ago, Dunkum said:

See my perspective on it is that by the time she met Rand, he was somewhat of a bully himself.  he was driven to it for solid reasons, but the end result is the same. having someone who won't put up with his worst impulses is something he needed badly.  And while she does make an effort to restrain his personality, she isn't as manipulative with him as just about every other Aes Sedai he has every met, Moiraine included (early on anyway)

I don't disagree. Rand was teetering on the edge of sanity and was arrogant to the point of narcissism. But he still needed someone who cared about Rand the boy from the Two Rivers, not The Dragon Reborn. And Cadsuane clearly didn't care about that boy. But again, she didn't do anything to endear herself to him other than "I'm powerful, I'm old, and I'm an Aes Sedai, so do as I say." Rand had seen enough of that. Rand had been imprisoned due to them. How was this Aes Sedai any better? She's powerful? Great, he's stronger. She's old? Great, that means more Aes Sedai arrogance, snobbery, and manipulation. She's an Aes Sedai? Well, after what happened before, pardon me for not trusting them. 

In the end, Rand does take her on as an advisor, but does doesn't improve past that. No other character seems to warm up to her, the characters that are fan favorites like Min and Nynaeve don't really like her either - at most they're in awe of Cadsuane's power and at their lowest they're angry at how she went about things. By the end, Cadsuane's 

[MASSIVE A MEMORY OF LIGHT SPOILERS!!!]

Spoiler

Given the position of ultimate power - the one we've seen Egwene work so hard to achieve. Yes, Brandon wrote it as a punishment, but it's still a slap to the face. 

If you like her, that's fine! I think there are worse people as Aes Sedai out there. But I can easily see why Cadsuane is the least popular for others. 

17 hours ago, Dunkum said:

A couple people have mentioned Cadsuane today, and I'm curious why.  I didn't have any particular problem with her, and she certainly comes off a lot more competent than 99% of the other Aes Sedai.

Might be something to do with the fact that Brandon has said she was the one WoT character he never warmed up to/felt affinity with/something to that effect.

Playing Three Houses at the moment, and I can´t stand Rhea. She is either annoyingly boring, or a manipulative bag of crem. I never buy that she really cares about the people she hangs out with either.

Also, while I´m at it: basically every supernatural dragon/fairy character from Fire Emblem. The dragon-thingy (Lilith was her name, I think) in Fates was the worst one, but pretty much all of them are either boring or annoying, often a combination of the two.