Destroyed Shardplate

Somber Alchemy

Question

8 answers to this question

Just now, Magma said:

Is only one fragment needed to repair the piece or all of them?

Presumably just one, but we know for a fact that you don't need all of them. Dalinar thinks it to himself after the Battle of the Tower, something about retrieving his fallen glove. Basically, two people can try fueling different parts to regrow the rest of the plate, and the one with the larger part will win out in the end.

It'll disintegrate the smaller piece as it regrows a new one(for reasons unknown, but probably relating to identity, so there is only one unique set), but having to compete with another party, even if they will lose(glove vs rest of the armor) will make it take longer. It might have something to do with overcoming the Investiture being poured into the other part in order to disintegrate it, but I have no evidence. (Stormlight heals Shardplate, so when healing your plate would disintegrate the smaller part, you have to overcome its Investiture to destroy it, and that will take longer if another party is fueling it with more Investiture)

Basically, rewrite:

• The largest fragment of the Shardplate being fueled will grow into the full set of armor.
  • You cannot cheat the system to make multiple suits of plate, and regrowing one part will disintegrate the other pieces.
  • Fueling multiple parts makes the process take longer, and the party with more Stormlight could end up regrowing the smaller piece if the other party runs out/gives up.

On 12/2/2017 at 0:32 PM, Magma said:

How is shardplate that is completely destroyed, renewed?

When Shardplate gets "destroyed," it explodes into fragments. So long as you have one of those fragments, you can feed Stormlight to it and regrow the Plate. I have no idea how it works(since Plate is composed of multiple distinct pieces), but it does.

The only way to actually destroy Shardplate would be something like Nightblood. Anything else just fragments it into pieces(getting swept into a river or buried in crem doesn't count as destroyed in my opinion, merely lost to time.)

Just now, The One Who Connects said:

When Shardplate gets "destroyed," it explodes into fragments. So long as you have one of those fragments, you can feed Stormlight to it and regrow the Plate. I have no idea how it works(since Plate is composed of multiple distinct pieces), but it does.

The only way to actually destroy Shardplate would be something like Nightblood. Anything else just fragments it into pieces(getting swept into a river or buried in crem doesn't count as destroyed in my opinion, merely lost to time.)

Is only one fragment needed to repair the piece or all of them?

Any piece of a set of Shardplate can be used to regrow the entirety of it. Obviously a smaller piece is going to require more time and more stormlight. As mentioned above, if someone has a larger piece, and is supplied with consistent stormlight, they'll have the set before someone with a smaller piece.

I wonder if this could be used as a tactical impediment to an enemy, slowing the regrowth of an enemy shard. 

Example: 

Party 1 attacks Party 2 using shardplate. In the process of the fight party 2 loses a gauntlet, vambrace shatters, and the gauntlet is dropped as dead weight. Backup arrives for party 2, and Party 1 is forced to retreat. 

Party 2 recovers it, takes it with them and feeds it a large amount of stormlight continuously, slowing the disintegration process, and by extension the regrowth of the enemy's shardplate. I feel like this could give party 2 a unique advantage if they could act quickly on it. 

Edited by KalsBoots

6 hours ago, KalsBoots said:

I wonder if this could be used as a tactical impediment to an enemy, slowing the regrowth of an enemy shard. 

Example: 

Party 1 attacks Party 2 using shardplate. In the process of the fight party 2 loses a gauntlet, vambrace shatters, and the gauntlet is dropped as dead weight. Backup arrives for party 2, and Party 1 is forced to retreat. 

Party 2 recovers it, takes it with them and feeds it a large amount of stormlight continuously, slowing the disintegration process, and by extension the regrowth of the enemy's shardplate. I feel like this could give party 2 a unique advantage if they could act quickly on it. 

It's probably what happens in those cases.

Of course you have to have big and multiple gemstones to waste for this tactic but it's probably worthy almost always

On 12/4/2017 at 7:01 PM, The One Who Connects said:

One piece to rule them all, one piece to find them. One piece to bring them all and in the stormlight bind them.

Hundreds of years in Roshar's future, some scrawny river-dwelling primitive race will find something that looks like an innocent shiny thing, and bring it back to their home. Maybe, these primitives have a handful of other gems, and they've mastered basic usage of uncut gems as a light source...

So they leave the shiny piece out in a highstorm.

AND ONE SHARD IN THE SHADOW OF RALL ELORIM, TO RULE THEM ALL!

Seriously though, that would be storming cool. XD 

Edited by Ookla the Bright-Talon