Stormlight: Godbound

WalksIntoMordor

I've seen a few attempts to do Stormlight Archives rpg adaptations, and I am hopeful for one day getting one using the Mistborn Adventure System (if only so we can do the Realmhopping crossover we deserve).

However, I've been trying to think of other systems that could work well for it.  Part of the difficulty is how the system lines up with other systems - you'd need a game that allows for a variety of powers and advancement of characters.  MAG works well because it's very adaptable, as is FATE.  However, I am terrible at designing game balance, and though I've seen some adaptations of the Surges for MAG, I can't develop the others on my own.  FATE could also work to an extent, since you can let it be more flexible with the aspects and all, and it works well for non-surgebinders as well.

However, I also had another idea.  Godbound is an OSR style game that was built to represent players playing as gods in a world where the gods of old are dead.  They are Godbound - a new generation of divine entities made for a war now over, and faced with a world to deal with.  Thematically, it works well.

For those who haven't read it (and if you want to, there is a free version that has the basic rules on DriveThruRPG), each power is tied to a Word, and Godbound are bound to three words each to start.  As they level up, they get points, which can either unlock gifts of words they have or bind other words.  In addition, in the Deluxe version, there are other options beyond the words provided.  This includes creating new Words out of powers from the others, martial art styles called Strifes, and options for customizing Godbound.

The idea I had was to have each Radiant have a set of Words for their surges, with gift options based on some of the other gifts in the book rearranged.  In addition, there will also be the Sword word, which everyone can potentially bind (despite its name, it covers all sorts of martial combat).  This word also works for Shardbearers who are not Radiants (the one thing the system doesn't do WELL is differential power-levels; however, I'm thinking Shardusers and Fabrial users may get a separate selection of words, or else just use the mortal creation rules).

All of this is just an idea, but I wanted to share it to see if anyone had any opinions on it.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/10/2018 at 9:45 PM, ShadowLord_Lith said:

I would be very interested in this, as I'm trying to develop a similar system to use in a story I'm considering. If there is any way I can help, please let me know. ^_^

15 minutes ago, Ark1002 said:

I'll bite. Can we start this?

You guys realize this guy has been inactive for quite some time? And it’s a necro? 

Edit: nevermind i swore he was inactive but apparently not

Ark, maybe that’s why you are being hunted.

Edited by Inklingspren

On 11/6/2018 at 10:15 AM, Ark1002 said:

Well, he was on yesterday...

@WalksIntoMordor, could you tell us what plans you had for this?

Didn't really have any plans at the time.  I was just trying to see if anyone had any thoughts about whether it could work.  Not in a good position to run such a game myself atm either.  That said, you have my blessings if you want to try it out.  Been a while since I looked at Godbound... if I get any ideas I will mention them (one thing I do recall was the idea of making Words out of each of the surges, with miracles pulled from related things - Sky Miracles for Gravitation, for instance).

• 2 weeks later...