Jack33210

[OB] Secret of Aimia

39 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, RShara said:

Well, the ones we've had viewpoints from don't seem particularly torn up about it.

We've only had one in Axies, but he seems like a pretty aloof person in general. We've seen others, but we don't necessarily know they feel internally about what happened. 

Do we have a current estimate or any clues on how long ago the Scouring actually happened?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't remember for sure, but not terribly long ago.  A few hundred years?  I'm about 80% sure it was after the Hierocracy.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Jack33210 said:

Do we have a current estimate or any clues on how long ago the Scouring actually happened?

Per our resident Aimian:

Quote

It hadn’t been that long since the scouring of his homeland. Just long ago enough for stories and legends to have crept into the general knowledge of most peoples.

And per our resident Scholar:

Quote

Jasnah smiled. “When the lanceryn died off during the scouring of Aimia, we thought we’d seen the last gemhearts of large size. And yet here was another great-shelled beast with them, living in a land not too distant from Kholinar itself."

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@The One Who Connects The quotes bring the scouring's date towards more recent years (I'd say between 300-500 years, if anyone has a better idea please correct me) but the first quote doesn't really give a time period that we can relate to; it just says it has been just enough time for "stories and legends to have crept into the general knowledge of most peoples."

How far back do you think the quote puts the scouring at?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been stuck on the Aimians themselves, soulcasters being from Aimia, and the long term effects they have on humans.  Plus the persistent rumor that the "cure" of those side effects is on Aimia.  Or perhaps with Aimians?  I'm sure there's interesting stuff going on there, I just can't put the pieces together yet.

 

Stone/rock soulcasters turn people into stone.  Pieces of those people may fall off/out.  Not much difference between stone and some snail shells, so I imagine the same applies to cremlings.  Maybe Dysian Aimians figured out how to plug/patch their holes with cremlings.  Or are at least the evolution far down the line of somebody who figured that out.

 

Smoke soulcasters on the other hand turn the humans into smoke.  Smoke being one of the most malleable substances, it's not hard to imagine somebody whose body is malleable enough to create tattoos on the skin of writing, and apparently to alter their internal organs could somehow be an evolution of that.

 

Axies at least was said to have crystalline/gemlike eyes and fingernails.  I believe the stobbe soulcasters from WoR also had that same feature?

 

And then there is shadows.  People throw shadows towards light instead of away from it in Shadesmar.  But I believe we've also seen both Jasnah and Shallan throw the same shadows when they were soulcasting?  I'll have to reread all the scenes with people using fabrial soulcaddters instead of surgebindings, but were their shadows mentioned?  Axies definitely casts his shadow towards light instead of away from it.  I thought the Dysian Aimians we had seen did too, but apparently not all the time?  There was no mention of the cook or the old man in the park having weird shadows.

 

My feeling is the secret of Aimia has something to do with normal humans somehow becoming the Aimians we see today.  Probably through manipulation of the spiritual realm in some way, shape, or form.  Possibly soulcasting fabrials were a step along that process.  Also possible that THOSE were the surges that ruined their original planet.

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It could be Odiums perpendicularity, but I seriously doubt this. The Dawnshards is a very good theory, but I want to present a new idea.

We know that Odium is stuck on Braize (Damnation), so I propose it is a portal to Braize.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's strange that the Larkin are 'supposedly' only found on Aimia when the island is the furthest away from the Highstorms. How would they sustain themselves?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, ScavellTane said:

It's strange that the Larkin are 'supposedly' only found on Aimia when the island is the furthest away from the Highstorms. How would they sustain themselves?

We don't actually now where or what the Origin actually is (unless I've missed a WoB on this). Speculation has it that it is far to the East across the Ocean. But this begs the question: Do Rosharans know that the planet is round? I can't actually recall any definitive reference to this. But either way, since we know it is a globe. Far to the East might eventually become the West. We are assuming that Aimia is in fact the farthest thing from the highstorms. What if it is the closest? What if the highstorms actually start there, gathering form and momentum as they head West over the Ocean, before looping back around from the East? We know from real life that storms can gain power and momentum over water, so it could start small and grow over time. Combined with the fact that no one visits Aimia anymore, this could explain the confusion. 

It would also be a neat way of combining the highstorms with whatever secret they are guarding. The Investiture that the highstorms contain must come from somewhere, after all. Maybe it is a way of dispersing the power of something like the Dawnshards to prevent a dangerous critical mass from being reached. Pure speculation of course but I think it would be a fun twist and a play on perspective if Aimia was actually the Origin. 

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is my own theory and has little backing it up but I think the Sibling could be in Aimia. Little is known about the Sibling, but it is presumably one of the most powerful spren in existence and currently missing with people knowledgeable on the subject (the Stormfather) wanting to keep it that way. To the best of my knowledge the other two spren for bondsmiths are the stormfather (honor) and the nightwatcher (cultivation). While the name sibling makes it seem like it will be part honor and part cultivation it could also be solely associated with Odium. If it is associated with Odium it could be one of the main forms of investiture holding him to Roshar and be a connection between Roshar and Braize making him incredibly important. Even if the Sibling isn't associated with Odium it still seems like one of very few things that could potentially be powerful enough to lead to the destruction of worlds. However, this theory has some major holes because the Sibling has been bonded in the past and no one seems to remember a bondsmith using investiture from Odium or worlds being destroyed because of it, so while I personally want the Sibling to be what is hidden in Aimia I think Dawnshards are the current best candidate. Other than those two options though I can think of only one other in world thing powerful enough to lead to the end of worlds, the source of soulcasting.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My hypothesis: Either Aimia scoured itself intentionally, or the thing that scoured it remains there.

Another hypothesis: Kaza seems to have some parallels to Bleeder on Scadrial - an (unwitting?) agent of Autonomy. Analogously to "At least I'm me, in the end", Kaza's death is emphasized as "Her choice. Her destiny."

Could Kaza have been encouraged to seek Aimia by Autonomy in the *hope* of being able to pry the secrets from her soul?

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/7/2017 at 8:39 AM, Naerin said:

We don't actually now where or what the Origin actually is (unless I've missed a WoB on this). Speculation has it that it is far to the East across the Ocean. But this begs the question: Do Rosharans know that the planet is round? I can't actually recall any definitive reference to this. But either way, since we know it is a globe. Far to the East might eventually become the West. We are assuming that Aimia is in fact the farthest thing from the highstorms. What if it is the closest? What if the highstorms actually start there, gathering form and momentum as they head West over the Ocean, before looping back around from the East? We know from real life that storms can gain power and momentum over water, so it could start small and grow over time. Combined with the fact that no one visits Aimia anymore, this could explain the confusion. 

It would also be a neat way of combining the highstorms with whatever secret they are guarding. The Investiture that the highstorms contain must come from somewhere, after all. Maybe it is a way of dispersing the power of something like the Dawnshards to prevent a dangerous critical mass from being reached. Pure speculation of course but I think it would be a fun twist and a play on perspective if Aimia was actually the Origin. 

 

As far as the Flat Roshar Society goes, it seems to me that the more scholarly of sorts realize what's going on with the solar system but it's not common knowledge. I'm completely blanking on when or where this happened (somewhere in WoK, I'm thinking) but I'm pretty sure Shallan has made a reference to high storms rounding the planet being the leading theory as opposed to a new one starting every time at the origin. Meanwhile Hoid speaks to Dalinar at a feast (maybe the same one where he mentions adolnalsium?) and also makes a mention to the planet being round and Dalinar is all like 'What is this nonsense?' which leads me to believe Dalinar is a Flat Rosharist. If a powerful man like him isn't in on the loop it must not be common knowledge among less scholarly sorts, at least. 

I'm interested if there are any WoB regrading the origin as well. Is that even a thing if the storm just rounds the planet? Confusion about the world being flat could explain the origin away as something people invented to conceive of how storms work rather than simply the direction of a circumnavigational storm. 

So I'm not sure if this could tie into Aimia or not but I've wondered myself about the apparent discrepancy with Flat Roshar and where Brandon is going with that. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, TheMediocreMind said:

Meanwhile Hoid speaks to Dalinar at a feast (maybe the same one where he mentions adolnalsium?) and also makes a mention to the planet being round and Dalinar is all like 'What is this nonsense?' which leads me to believe Dalinar is a Flat Rosharist. If a powerful man like him isn't in on the loop it must not be common knowledge among less scholarly sorts, at least.

Dalinar was referring to world spinning, rather than a round world.  I'm pretty sure they know their world is round, but rotation and revolution is beyond the common population.

 

Quote

Wit’s eyes narrowed, and he scanned the night sky. “It’s been happening for months now. A whirlwind. Shifting and churning, blowing us round and around. Like a world spinning, but we can’t see it because we’re too much a part of it.”

“World spinning. What foolishness is this?”

 

5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017-12-05 at 1:08 AM, echaozh said:

The Dysian Aimian separating into cremlings and then regrouping into humanoid, is definitely magical, right? What's the magical system? Cultivation's? How did they come to this? Cremling is local to Roshar, so this ability was acquired on Roshar, unless they can do with any local insect-like animals.

I would say both Cultivation and Honor. Growing new Hordelings sounds like Cultivation, while the Hordelings being bound together sounds like Honor.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So are the Aimians guarding the Island in the cognitive realm too? Could Jasnah or Venli just hop on over through Shadesmar and then show up there to find out what is going on?

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.