[OB][Warbreaker] Vasher, Vivenna, Nightblood, and Szeth

Rainier

14 minutes ago, TheMediocreMind said:

Wait.. Three Nalthians? Who is the third?

As far as I knew we've only seen Vivenna and Vasher so far. Unless you count the random guy in the lighthouse when Kaladin touched the shiny globe and saw his vision of Dalinar 

Who was Elantrian, and not Nalthian. 

The only Confirmed Nalthians we have are V&V

8 hours ago, TheMediocreMind said:

@Calderis

Oh I thought he might have been Nalthian because I figured he was of some heightening when he asked Kaladin about his heightening after touching the globe. I haven't read elantris so I probably missed some reference there. 

Brandon mentioned this in the recent Oathbringer beta reader AMA on reddit

I revised part four heavily, moving the scene where Kaladin runs into our "so very beautiful" friend from Elantris (and the subsequent dip into the Spiritual Realm) from happening in the market to happening in the Lighthouse. Originally, the Lighthouse was run by Crytpics

Source

The question about heightenings is presumably because getting enough breath to reach the 5th heightening is the easiest way to obtain functional immortality in the Cosmere and many worldhoppers probably have it.

2 hours ago, Extesian said:

I revised part four heavily, moving the scene where Kaladin runs into our "so very beautiful" friend from Elantris (and the subsequent dip into the Spiritual Realm) from happening in the market to happening in the Lighthouse. Originally, the Lighthouse was run by Crytpics

Source

The first reply after that, from Oversleep:

HOLD ON

ARE YOU SAYING THIS GUY IS THE HOED THAT LED RAODEN TO THE POOL AND TO THE LIBRARY IN ELANTRIS?!

Edit: I mean, I have figured out he's from Elantris or at least Arelon. But then I thought the Dor ripped apart the Hoed!

Okay, this is a big deal. Big fat Cosmere clue.

16 hours ago, TheMediocreMind said:

Wait.. Three Nalthians? Who is the third?

As far as I knew we've only seen Vivenna and Vasher so far. Unless you count the random guy in the lighthouse when Kaladin touched the shiny globe and saw his vision of Dalinar 

I honestly have no idea, I just changed it. Although I wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing more people with colorful idioms.

It is said that when night blood was first created, it imprinted on its creator. I am wondering if it imprinted on all five of the scholars, so containing what they knew. Can the sword learn from the things it kills? Just because the sword does not use the knowledge, does not mean he does not have it?

19 hours ago, .S.A.M.K.M said:

It is said that when night blood was first created, it imprinted on its creator. I am wondering if it imprinted on all five of the scholars, so containing what they knew. Can the sword learn from the things it kills? Just because the sword does not use the knowledge, does not mean he does not have it?

First, while all of the Five Scholars were contributing to their collective knowledge, it was just Vasher and Shashara who created Nightblood. That's why Vasher killed just her and not the others, because she was the one with the knowledge which he decided was too dangerous to spread, and she was threatening to spread it further.

Now, of course, we know that Yesteel knows how to make the swords, and may have had a hand in creating Vivenna's sword. 

Nightblood can learn and grow, but those first few moments of sentience are unchanging. So that's why Shashara is always alive, Denth is always pleased with him, and Vasher and the other two are friends with each other, instead of bitter enemies.

Check out the annotations for Warbreaker, if you haven't already. Here's the chapter in question where Brandon talks about Nightblood's origin and the possibility of learning. Spoilers, duh.

• Chaos locked this topic