Has Sanderson influenced you?

Hi, I'm very interested to know if and how Sanderson's work has influenced you in anyway since you started reading his novels.

What has changed for you since you started reading Sanderson's books? Have you become inspired to do something? Change of opinions? Suddenly turned evil and are intent on giving incautious people spiked cookies? You get the gist...

Personally, he's inspired me to become an author (I've loved the fantasy genre since I was 10 years old, but Sanderson takes it to an entirely different level. One which is increasingly difficult to keep pace with). I can see how he has somewhat influenced my writing style (and even some ideas! :blink:). I'm so glad to have found his writing tips, they are exactly what I needed! 

Let me know!

Best,

A Dopey Spren

Personally, Sanderson inspired me to write - and with real effort.

Also, he(along with Shallan) inspired me to learn to draw well, and I am now increasing my abilities at a steady pace.

Also, along another kind of thing, his books have inspired me to never underestimate people 

13 minutes ago, Ookla the Lightweaver said:

Personally, Sanderson inspired me to write - and with real effort.

Also, he(along with Shallan) inspired me to learn to draw well, and I am now increasing my abilities at a steady pace.

Also, along another kind of thing, his books have inspired me to never underestimate people 

That's genuinely amazing! Well done! How's the writing coming along?

I love the fact that he has managed to bring together such a large community of such diversity. The effect that he has created is really inspirational. :D

5 minutes ago, A Dopey Spren said:

That's genuinely amazing! Well done! How's the writing coming along?

I love the fact that he has managed to bring together such a large community of such diversity. The effect that he has created is really inspirational. :D

Well  I am close to being 20 chapters through, but I recently learn some new things and I am probably going to restart because I know how to write it faster - and ultimately better.

And yeah, this community is wonderful I really hope I can eventually do something similar(but I doubt it)

22 minutes ago, Ookla the Lightweaver said:

Well  I am close to being 20 chapters through, but I recently learn some new things and I am probably going to restart because I know how to write it faster - and ultimately better.

And yeah, this community is wonderful I really hope I can eventually do something similar(but I doubt it)

Wow, that's amazing progress! Keep it up! If you know of any good links for fantasy writers, hit me up! :D 

He's given me good advice (not directly, haha, through his books) about writing styles/habits. Like names and people interactions/developments. I used to think up the craziest names for fantasy stories like, I don't know, Giravoncha. (pulled that out of a hat) but lots of his names are quite simple (that didn't require patterns), like Vin, or Ham or Tien. Short and simple. 

1 hour ago, ryshadium90 said:

He's given me good advice (not directly, haha, through his books) about writing styles/habits. Like names and people interactions/developments. I used to think up the craziest names for fantasy stories like, I don't know, Giravoncha. (pulled that out of a hat) but lots of his names are quite simple (that didn't require patterns), like Vin, or Ham or Tien. Short and simple. 

I completely agree. Even without looking at all of his writing podcasts or Q&As, we can still gain a lot of advice. It's great to see how he's inspired multiple people to work on writing! 

He’s influenced me to try writing again and attempt to create my own fantasy world with its own magic system. The system is philosophy based. Its heavily influenced by Elantris and Mistborn but also by the Shannara series. It’s called Shadowlight. I wrote a prologue for it, and want to post it some time. I’m not sure on some points about the world though, maybe you guys can help me out. 

10 hours ago, The Feruchemist said:

He’s influenced me to try writing again and attempt to create my own fantasy world with its own magic system. The system is philosophy based. Its heavily influenced by Elantris and Mistborn but also by the Shannara series. It’s called Shadowlight. I wrote a prologue for it, and want to post it some time. I’m not sure on some points about the world though, maybe you guys can help me out. 

That's awesome! By all means tag me in it and I'll happily read it. I'm currently outlining/writing my own fantasy novel. Sanderson is definitely a big influence!

I have wanted to be an author since third grade, when I discovered my love for reading. Sanderson has inspired me even more to pursue that goal, even though some other people I know think that it is pointless. Just by reading his books I have become a better writer, and his lectures on YouTube and Writing Excuses have helped a lot as well.

He has made me look at life in a whole new way. When I read now, I think about how the author is putting the book together, and I can spot so many holes in them now. I used to daydream about being a Demigod, or a witch, or a caretaker of a magical reserve, but now, I seriously think, would I actually be able to handle it? But I'd never know until I actually experienced it. (Also, the Inkheart trilogy really nugged me in thinking that way as well. They are all really good books). 

I am way way way way obsessed with three things:

1. The Cosmere
  2. The fantasy genre in general
  3. Writing

Sanderson is solely responsible for the first, obviously. (But the one who introduced me to his books was @LionTale_Writer). And he is very largely responsible for three. My third grade teacher is responsible for two.

I also have a lot more friends now! I am very socially awkward, and have trouble finding people who actually want to get to know me. But through this site, I have gained a lot more friends. The truth of it is, I have more friends on here than I do from school or stuff. Then there's fictional characters...

You can never feel unloved or excluded or ignored in a book. You always have friends, and a place. Readers are never alone. And Sanderson's characters are just so complex, and real, with real feelings, and reactions, it's hard to feel alone. My Leadership teacher actually called the counselor the other day because I wasn't really taking much in class, or anything like that. I prefer places of fiction to the real world, and the Cosmere is always right there, waiting for me with open arms.

I tend to daydream a lot...

I'm also an insane Sanderfan now, and I have been since the day I finished tWoK. I still have the receipt from when I purchased my first copy from one of the three B&N in Salt Lake City. I started reading it about mid-April.

And now, here I am.

His characters (specifically Dalinar, Kaladin, and Szeth) have helped me to face and come to terms with some of my own personal issues.  How he presents different views on morality and worldviews has (helped) influenced me to understand people's motivations for why they view the world the way they do/why they take the actions they take.  

He also sparks my imagination more than any author since J.K. Rowling.  I think Stormlight (and the Cosmere) will be for me in adulthood what Harry Potter was for me in childhood.

Yes, Brandon Sanderson has definitely influenced me.  I desperately want to become an author.  Hopefully, in the future, I can go to BYU Provo.  I've been getting much better grades and I'm in Honors English.  I've been studding, reading, and taking notes all the time.  Many notes.  You would not believe how many notes I have for everything even slightly related to writing and worldbuilding.  I'm developing entire worlds of people and culture and places and ideas.  I'm even developing a non-english-related language for one of the worlds.

But best of all, I'm developing myself.  Brandon has made his characters so real and I don't get very close to actual people.  I don't understand them.  But through his characters' strengths, weaknesses, trials, victories, and perspectives, I can understand people just a little better.  I agree with @Stormrunner1730.  Brandon's work will always mean so much to me through the last of my teenage years, my adulthood, and on.

Amazing to hear from fellow writers. I completely understand what you mean in terms of the depth of characters that Sanderson creates, there is such diversity that one way or another you'll be able to associate to at least SOMEONE.

On 11/12/2017 at 7:09 AM, Tesh said:

I have wanted to be an author since third grade, when I discovered my love for reading. Sanderson has inspired me even more to pursue that goal, even though some other people I know think that it is pointless. Just by reading his books I have become a better writer, and his lectures on YouTube and Writing Excuses have helped a lot as well.

He has made me look at life in a whole new way. When I read now, I think about how the author is putting the book together, and I can spot so many holes in them now. I used to daydream about being a Demigod, or a witch, or a caretaker of a magical reserve, but now, I seriously think, would I actually be able to handle it? But I'd never know until I actually experienced it. (Also, the Inkheart trilogy really nugged me in thinking that way as well. They are all really good books). 

I am way way way way obsessed with three things:

1. The Cosmere
  2. The fantasy genre in general
  3. Writing

Sanderson is solely responsible for the first, obviously. (But the one who introduced me to his books was @LionTale_Writer). And he is very largely responsible for three. My third grade teacher is responsible for two.

I also have a lot more friends now! I am very socially awkward, and have trouble finding people who actually want to get to know me. But through this site, I have gained a lot more friends. The truth of it is, I have more friends on here than I do from school or stuff. Then there's fictional characters...

You can never feel unloved or excluded or ignored in a book. You always have friends, and a place. Readers are never alone. And Sanderson's characters are just so complex, and real, with real feelings, and reactions, it's hard to feel alone. My Leadership teacher actually called the counselor the other day because I wasn't really taking much in class, or anything like that. I prefer places of fiction to the real world, and the Cosmere is always right there, waiting for me with open arms.

I tend to daydream a lot...

I'm also an insane Sanderfan now, and I have been since the day I finished tWoK. I still have the receipt from when I purchased my first copy from one of the three B&N in Salt Lake City. I started reading it about mid-April.

And now, here I am.

Thanks for sharing! I love seeing how he's influenced people, for me that is what I strive for as a writer. I don't care for the fame or money (although I wouldn't turn down the latter ;)) but creating that same feeling for my readers that I get when reading Sanderon's books.

On 12/12/2017 at 8:49 PM, Stormrunner1730 said:

His characters (specifically Dalinar, Kaladin, and Szeth) have helped me to face and come to terms with some of my own personal issues.  How he presents different views on morality and worldviews has (helped) influenced me to understand people's motivations for why they view the world the way they do/why they take the actions they take.  

He also sparks my imagination more than any author since J.K. Rowling.  I think Stormlight (and the Cosmere) will be for me in adulthood what Harry Potter was for me in childhood.

I completely see what you mean I terms of his representations of morality and worldviews through his characters. It's so interesting how he can create such vivid messages just through the actions of his characters. (Personally I was into Harry Potter particularly much, but my first proper fantasy novels which got me hooked were the Night Angel trilogy by Brent Weeks), but Stormlight is on a completely different level to anything else I've read. 

20 hours ago, LionTale_Writer said:

Yes, Brandon Sanderson has definitely influenced me.  I desperately want to become an author.  Hopefully, in the future, I can go to BYU Provo.  I've been getting much better grades and I'm in Honors English.  I've been studding, reading, and taking notes all the time.  Many notes.  You would not believe how many notes I have for everything even slightly related to writing and worldbuilding.  I'm developing entire worlds of people and culture and places and ideas.  I'm even developing a non-english-related language for one of the worlds.

But best of all, I'm developing myself.  Brandon has made his characters so real and I don't get very close to actual people.  I don't understand them.  But through his characters' strengths, weaknesses, trials, victories, and perspectives, I can understand people just a little better.  I agree with @Stormrunner1730.  Brandon's work will always mean so much to me through the last of my teenage years, my adulthood, and on.

Amazing job on your grades and Honours for English! Keep going on the note taking (don't forget the most important thing to do is the WRITING itself :D (I'm guilty of a lot of note taking... over 30k words now...)). Like I said above, I agree in terms of Sanderon's depictions of strengths, weaknesses, etc and how he brings them to life with such emotion and thought!

Thanks all of you for sharing, I love reading these and hearing about other writers, I hadn't realise that there were so many people working on their novels! Keep it up! :D

On 12/12/2017 at 1:49 PM, Stormrunner1730 said:

I agree with this SO much. With his characters, I particularly like how often he specifically tries to break stereotypes (eg. Lift is not what you'd expect of a knight). 

• Chaos locked this topic