[OB] Rock and his Oaths

lastofus

OK, my first topic here, I hope I do it right.

I had a new theory about the whole Horneater businesses.

Don't you guys find it odd that the "Chief" wanted to acquire shards? We don't know if it's the first brother, first senior cousin, or something like that who can be the chieftain. But why the hell chieftain's try to duel with Shardbearers? They have no experience in dueling properly, let alone facing a Shardbearer. I think something is missing here. 

The roles of first and second brother is obtaining food, the third brother is to learn a craft (cooking for example). 

The servants of the chieftain is his family, we don't know how big his family was.

“What of Tifi and Sinaku’a?” she asked him. “Dead,” he whispered. “They raised weapons in vengeance.” She put her hand to her lips. She wore a glove on her safehand, in deference to silly Vorin traditions. “Then you—” “I am a chef now,” Lunamor said, firm.

Brandon Sanderson. Oathbringer (Kindle Locations 7582-7585). Tom Doherty Associates. Kindle Edition. 

It doesn't make any sense that the older brothers had weapons "and they raised them in vengeance". Following the conversation, it's safe to assume that her wife wanted to know who is chief now. 

I only think of three reasons:

1. The ascension to chieftain is in reverse in the peak. The younger brother is chief, he has to have the ability to protect the village. So Rock actually lost his younger brothers, and if Rock himself dies, the second brother is chief.
  2. The ascension to chieftain depends on the roles, first warriors, then craftsmen, then gatherers. The difference with the first one is that the Oldest warrior is chief, not the youngest one. 
  3. Chief is exempt from the normal roles. If the first brother becomes chief, he cannot do the job that was assigned to him. Meaning that the 2nd and 3rd brother are now gatherers and the 4th one (Rock) is the craftsman. So the chief has to learn how to fight, how else could he protect the village, and challenge a Shardbearer? It also means that the names spoken by Rock were all in line to be chief, (that's why they picked weapons in vengeance) so in truth, Rock lost 3 chiefs that day.

Finally, I think that his Oath (or role) didn't count anymore. He was just deluding himself and bridge four. He CAN fight and should do so, but was a coward and decided to continue his cooking.

He hasn't broken his previous oaths, instead he didn't want to accept his new oath (role) of protecting his family. (He had named Kaladin and bridge four his family).

“I will make you all family for this. A peak dweller’s humaka’aban is his pride! I feel like a true man again. Here. This razor belongs not to me, but to us all. Any who wishes to use it must do so. Is my honor to share with you!”

Brandon Sanderson. The Way of Kings (Kindle Locations 11322-11324). Tor Books. Kindle Edition. 

What he did, killing Amaram with Shard bow, was actually an act of accepting his new role. He became chief before being captured and he knew that, but instead he didn't want to fight. So he has some explaining to do, that was why he was in a corner thinking. 

Bonus: I really hope Rock becomes a Stonewarden, he probably think he doesn't belong to bridge 4 anymore. what a twist!

Bonus2: A shardbearer horneater chief? He is the king of the peaks now.

1 hour ago, Ookla the Effervescent said:

I like your thinking...

...however, did you notice Rock says "chef" and not "cheif"? 

Sort of like intentionally mispronouncing Chief in order to avoid the new responsibilities?

Edited by IllNsickly

20 hours ago, Ookla the Effervescent said:

I like your thinking...

...however, did you notice Rock says "chef" and not "cheif"? 

You're right, I misread it the first time. But because of the dialogue:

“Dead,” he whispered. “They raised weapons in vengeance.” She put her hand to her lips. She wore a glove on her safehand, in deference to silly Vorin traditions. “Then you—” “I am a chef now,” Lunamor said, firm. “But—”

Brandon Sanderson. Oathbringer (Kindle Locations 7582-7585). Tom Doherty Associates. Kindle Edition. 

Then you..., I am 90 percent sure that she wanted to tell him his new role, but Rock didn't want her to say it. 

If the Chief is dead and other possible candidates are dead too, and then you... ! are chief now.

Edited by lastofus

It would make for some odd succession if the youngest inherits the title. What do you do, raise all you children to be chiefs in their first years, and each time a new one is born you shuffle the rest to other duties ?

No, i think if Rock is now Chief it would more likely mean that : 

1. The old chief was dumb enough to go on a suicide mission with his direct heirs in tow.

2. Rock's older brothers protested their cousin's murder with arms in hand and got the same. ( i assume it's cousin, i don't see Rock remaining silent after his brother's murder, no matter how much of a fool he was)

Edited by Darvys

On 12/1/2017 at 3:19 AM, lastofus said:

OK, my first topic here, I hope I do it right.

I had a new theory about the whole Horneater businesses.

Don't you guys find it odd that the "Chief" wanted to acquire shards? We don't know if it's the first brother, first senior cousin, or something like that who can be the chieftain. But why the hell chieftain's try to duel with Shardbearers? They have no experience in dueling properly, let alone facing a Shardbearer. I think something is missing here. 

The roles of first and second brother is obtaining food, the third brother is to learn a craft (cooking for example). 

The servants of the chieftain is his family, we don't know how big his family was.

It doesn't make any sense that the older brothers had weapons "and they raised them in vengeance". Following the conversation, it's safe to assume that her wife wanted to know who is chief now. 

I only think of three reasons:

1. The ascension to chieftain is in reverse in the peak. The younger brother is chief, he has to have the ability to protect the village. So Rock actually lost his younger brothers, and if Rock himself dies, the second brother is chief.
  2. The ascension to chieftain depends on the roles, first warriors, then craftsmen, then gatherers. The difference with the first one is that the Oldest warrior is chief, not the youngest one. 
  3. Chief is exempt from the normal roles. If the first brother becomes chief, he cannot do the job that was assigned to him. Meaning that the 2nd and 3rd brother are now gatherers and the 4th one (Rock) is the craftsman. So the chief has to learn how to fight, how else could he protect the village, and challenge a Shardbearer? It also means that the names spoken by Rock were all in line to be chief, (that's why they picked weapons in vengeance) so in truth, Rock lost 3 chiefs that day.

Finally, I think that his Oath (or role) didn't count anymore. He was just deluding himself and bridge four. He CAN fight and should do so, but was a coward and decided to continue his cooking.

He hasn't broken his previous oaths, instead he didn't want to accept his new oath (role) of protecting his family. (He had named Kaladin and bridge four his family).

What he did, killing Amaram with Shard bow, was actually an act of accepting his new role. He became chief before being captured and he knew that, but instead he didn't want to fight. So he has some explaining to do, that was why he was in a corner thinking. 

Bonus: I really hope Rock becomes a Stonewarden, he probably think he doesn't belong to bridge 4 anymore. what a twist!

Bonus2: A shardbearer horneater chief? He is the king of the peaks now.

Regarding Rock becoming a stonewarden, he pretty clearly seems to be Kaladin's squire. When Bridge Four joins the battle in Thaylen City, Rock mentions "Kaladin is close." "Ha! I feed him. But here, today, he fed me. With light!" (pg. 1184 in hardcover). This implies that his power comes from Kaladin. It also mentions on the next page that he launched into the air shortly after hugging Renarin. Can one become a radiant of a different order after becoming a squire? 

• Chaos locked this topic