[OB] Bondsmith Spren

Crasher

So I'm not sure if this has already been discussed or not but I have a possible theory about the third Bondsmith spren. I'm not sure if this theory even makes sense so let me know if you think I'm off base here.

In the chapter 67 epigraph it is stated that this generation of radiants only had one Bondsmith. 

"This generation has had only one Bondsmith, and some blame the divisions among us upon this fact. The true problem is far deeper. I believe that Honor himself is changing."

24-18 smokestone

I'm assuming that this epigraph takes place around the time of the recreance (and if I'm wrong then this theory doesn't really makes sense) and that this bondsmith was not bonded to the stormfather or the nightwatcher.  If this is the case do you think it's possible that this bondsmith was one of the radiants who broke their oath during the recreance and in turn killed the third bondsmith spren? If that is the case then we might never actually see more than two bondsmiths because only two of the three spren are still alive.

Again I'm not sure if this even makes sense, so let me know what you think!

I believe the last bondsmith was Melishi, who had bonded to the Stormfather.  In WoR Pattern says 

"Not just one people," Pattern said, solemn. "Many. Spren with minds were less plentiful then, and the majorities of several spren peoples were all bonded. There were very few survivors. The one you call Stormfather lived. Some others. The rest, thousands of us, were killed when the event happened. You call it the Recreance."

I take this quote to mean that the Stormfather was bound at the time of the Recreance but survived, possibly because he refuses to come entirely into the physical realm to form a shardblade.  I suppose it's also possible that Pattern here is saying that the Stormfather survived because he wasn't bound to a bondsmith at the time.  Anyway, we also have this recording by an elsecaller

"My research into the cognitive reflections of the spren at the tower has been deeply illustrative. Some thought that the Sibling had withdrawn from men by intent- but I find counter to that theory."

This implies to me that the third Sibling had disappeared prior to the Recreance for a reason unknown to the knights.

We know from Jasnah that the Knights abandoned Urithiru some time before the Recreance.  Perhaps, after the Sibling withdrew, it wasn't worthwhile.  There is an epigraph complaining about the tolls.  Maybe they couldn't grow stuff after the Sibling left, but tried to charge enough to make up for it.  

I don't have the exact quote, but Dalinar has a conversation with the Stormfather in the first half of the book about this topic. He (correctly?) surmises that Nightwatcher is Bondsmithable, then enquires about the third. Stormfather replies with anger, shutting down the conversation with "you've already hurt them enough" 

My impression was that the third was the only bonded Bondsmith spren at the time of Recreance. 

The scary part is that if the unique spren had a more traditional Nahel bond, then there could be a shardblade lying around that belongs to an ancient Bondsmith. It would also explain Stormfather's one caveat of no blade transformations. 

From the Stormfather's words on the topic, I felt like he was implying that the third spren was safe (and hopefully just slumbering like Syl was) but out of action at the moment. 

• Chaos locked this topic