[OB] The Sibling of Urithiru

Head Crabs

So... Just rereading the part where Dalinar is talking to the SF about the third sibling...

Spoiler

There is … a third sibling. They are not with us.

“In hiding?”

No. Slumbering.

“Tell me more.”

No.

“But—”

No! Leave them alone. You hurt them enough.

And I kind of got the "we are legion" vibe from this text. Has anyone considered that the third sibling might collectively be the Dysian Aimian yet? I think it is pretty interesting to note this conversation between Lift and Arclo

Spoiler

Your war is my war, and has been for millennia. Ancient Radiants named me friend and ally before everything went wrong. What wonderful days those were, before the Last Desolation. Days of...honor. Now gone, long gone. 

— Arclo to Lift

Edited by DeployParachute

7 minutes ago, DeployParachute said:

So... Just rereading the part where Dalinar is talking to the SF about the third sibling...

Reveal hidden contents

There is … a third sibling. They are not with us.

“In hiding?”

No. Slumbering.

“Tell me more.”

No.

“But—”

No! Leave them alone. You hurt them enough.

And I kind of got the "we are legion" vibe from this text. Has anyone considered that the third sibling might collectively be the Dysian Aimian yet? I think it is pretty interesting to note this conversation between Lift and Arclo

Reveal hidden contents

Your war is my war, and has been for millennia. Ancient Radiants named me friend and ally before everything went wrong. What wonderful days those were, before the Last Desolation. Days of...honor. Now gone, long gone. 

— Arclo to Lift

I'm more in the camp (of probably one) that thinks the sibling might be Cusicesh the Protector.

6 minutes ago, Lupis said:

I'm more in the camp (of probably one) that thinks the sibling might be Cusicesh the Protector.

But the SF explicitly used "them". My understanding is that Cusicesh is one singular very large spren? Also, I thought there were theories going around that Cusicesh was tied to Odium, considering it leaves people feeling drained?

I also think it would be interesting if the third sibling was a creation of both honor and cultivation combined, sort of like a weird love child of theirs since it's canon that Honor and Cultivation were romantically entangled at some point. I would also expect the creation to have some form of sentience, which Cusicesh doesn't seem to possess? I dunno, just some rambling thoughts on my part...

Edited by DeployParachute

1 minute ago, DeployParachute said:

But the SF explicitly used "them". My understanding is that Cusicesh is one singular very large spren? Also, I thought there were theories going around that Cusicesh was tied to Odium, considering it leaves people feeling drained?

I also think it would be interesting if the third sibling was a creation of both honor and cultivation combined, sort of like a weird love child of theirs since it's canon that Honor and Cultivation were romantically entangled at some point. I would also expect the creation to have some form of sentience, which Cusicesh doesn't seem to possess? I dunno, just some rambling thoughts on my part...

It does appear to be a single spren, but one that cycles through many faces...

As far as sentience goes, according to the stormfather the sibling is slumbering. That could refer to cognitively.

Cusicesh is very probably not the Sibling, due to this WoB: https://wob.coppermind.net/basic_search/?query=cusicesh%2Bstormfather%2Bnightwatcher

Spoiler

Questioner

Speaking of the Stormfather, would the Nightwatcher and the giant water spren be on the same level of spren as the Stormfather?

Brandon Sanderson

...The Nightwatcher, yes. Um... There are, I would say, a level below the Stormfather and the Nightwatcher who are also much-- a much bigger deal than something like one of the sapient spren, and that's what Cusicesh is.

Questioner

So the Nightwatcher is a spren you'd say?

Brandon Sanderson

The Nightwatcher-- I mean, they call the Nightwatcher a spren. Everyone in the books thinks the Nightwatcher is a spren. That's what they would call-- that's what they would call, if they knew what Honor was, they would call Honor a spren. A spren is Investiture that is alive.

Bystander

Nightblood?

Brandon Sanderson

So they would call Nightblood a spren. They would call-- That's the word for what all of these things are. They would probably've called Adonalsium a spren…

What would Hoid call one of those?

Brandon Sanderson

What would Hoid call the Nightwatcher? *laughter* What would Hoid call one of what?

Yeah what would Hoid call the Nightwatcher?

Brandon Sanderson

Um… *long pause/laughter*

If Hoid were to use a non-proper noun?

Brandon Sanderson

Unpleasant names. *laughter*

It indicates that Cusicesh is weaker than the Stormfather and Nightwatcher, when one would assume that the Sibling is their equal. (sorry about the bolding, I can't seem to make it go away)

Edited by SilverTiger

8 minutes ago, SilverTiger said:

Cusicesh is very probably not the Sibling, due to this WoB: https://wob.coppermind.net/basic_search/?query=cusicesh%2Bstormfather%2Bnightwatcher

Reveal hidden contents

Questioner

Speaking of the Stormfather, would the Nightwatcher and the giant water spren be on the same level of spren as the Stormfather?

Brandon Sanderson

...The Nightwatcher, yes. Um... There are, I would say, a level below the Stormfather and the Nightwatcher who are also much-- a much bigger deal than something like one of the sapient spren, and that's what Cusicesh is.

Questioner

Brandon Sanderson

The Nightwatcher-- I mean, they call the Nightwatcher a spren. Everyone in the books thinks the Nightwatcher is a spren. That's what they would call-- that's what they would call, if they knew what Honor was, they would call Honor a spren. A spren is Investiture that is alive.

Bystander

Nightblood?

Brandon Sanderson

So they would call Nightblood a spren. They would call-- That's the word for what all of these things are. They would probably've called Adonalsium a spren…

Brandon Sanderson

What would Hoid call the Nightwatcher? *laughter* What would Hoid call one of what?

Brandon Sanderson

Brandon Sanderson

It indicates that Cusicesh is weaker than the Stormfather and Nightwatcher, when one would assume that the Sibling is their equal.

Well that is disappointing. I shall cling to the slim hope that it is only a step below the other 2 because it is still slumbering. Probably not though.

1 minute ago, SilverTiger said:

Reveal hidden contents

Questioner

Brandon Sanderson

Questioner

Brandon Sanderson

Bystander

Nightblood?

Brandon Sanderson

Brandon Sanderson

Brandon Sanderson

Brandon Sanderson

I only see one possible flaw with the conclusion and that is that the Stormfather and the Nightwatcher are both likely imprinted/Invested by Honor and Cultivation in a way that other spren are not which means the Sibling may not actually be on their level.  I lean towards him being it as he's the only other "major" spren we've seen in the books that might possibly fit the description, so far as I can tell, but I'm not married to the idea.

On 12/5/2017 at 9:02 AM, ScavellTane said:

The most obvious reason would be The Shattered Plains/Stormseat. Which begs the question.

Why did the Releasers destroy Stormseat?

Was it an Unmade? Was Stormseat where they confronted Bo-Ado-Mishram?

If The Sibling is connected to all the Ten Cities could they do 'things' when they awaken?

Being a lowly spearman, can I get an explanation of:

What are the Releasers?

Who/what is Bo-Ado-Mishram?

Does Odium's "Sibling" predate the arrival of Honor/Cultivation's failed planet of Surgebinders arrival upon Rosharan stone?

Long before Honor's fracture/Tanavast's death one could assume the 3 realms were unified at that point, like Nalthis for example. Might the Dawncities and Dawnsingers have predated the Heralds and Knights in coping with humans living peacebly with Odium's passions and rule/worship over the native Rosharans?

On another note: Has Gavilar's light-sucking gemheart/gemstone, from Oathbringer's prologue appeared at any point after Szeth absconds with it from book one?

Thank you Heroes of the Cosmere.

Edited by tabitreader

B

1 hour ago, tabitreader said:

What are the Releasers?

Does Odium's "Sibling" predate the arrival of Honor/Cultivation's failed planet of Surgebinders arrival upon Rosharan stone?

Long before Honor's fracture/Tanavast's death one could assume the 3 realms were unified at that point, like Nalthis for example. Might the Dawncities and Dawnsingers have predated the Heralds and Knights in coping with humans living peacebly with Odium's passions and rule/worship over the native Rosharans?

On another note: Has Gavilar's light-sucking gemheart/gemstone, from Oathbringer's prologue appeared at any point after Szeth absconds with it from book one?

Bo-Ado-Mishram is one of the Unmade which is believed to have stepped in to take Odium's place temporarily at some point and give Parshendi Voidlight, and thus the ability to change forms and access the surges.

Which sibling are you talking about? If you mean the one in regards to Urithuru, I don't believe they predate Odium.

I don't believe we have seen the same gem which Gavilar had since TWoK. 

Hopefully the others can answer the rest as I don't have all the information (and I'm falling asleep! :))

1 hour ago, tabitreader said:

What are the Releasers?

Releaser is another term for Dustbringer, one of the Orders of the Knights Radiant (and apparently the term the Releasers themselves preferred).

The Sibling refers to the third spren that a Bondsmith could have a Nahel bond with (the other two being Stormfather and the Nightwatcher). This spren may or may not be related to Odium; we don't know, though my money is on "not related". We really don't know much about them.

The Dawnsingers almost certainly predated the Heralds and the Radiants. That term seems to refer to the Singers that originally inhabited the planet, when the human refugees arrived. They did seem to live peacefully for a time. I'm not sure what you mean by the three realms being unified.

As far as the black sphere goes, there appears to have actually been multiple black spheres. Gavilar gives one to Eshonai in the OB prologue and one to Szeth in the WoK prologue. Szeth hides his somewhere, if I remember correctly. The popular theory is that these gemstones contain Unmade, similar to how Dalinar traps Nergaoul at the end of OB. But we can't say for sure.

• Chaos locked this topic