Burning Spikes

MacThorstenson

Maru Nui

What happens when you burn a Hemalurgic spike?

Brandon Sanderson

Burning a Hemalurgic spike would have the effect of splicing your spiritual DNA to that of the person's that is in the spike, which would have some very strange consequences.

As per this Wob, we know that the spiritual DNA of the allomancer becomes spliced with that on the spike. My theory is that this splicing would have the same effect as someone spiking the allomancer, except it would not cause a hole to be ripped into your spirit web, and not cause you to be opened up to the effects of emotional allomanceres and shards. Basically the all the pluses of Hemallurgy without the dangers. What do you guys think?

Interesting theory. I wonder if splicing your sDNA with that of the spike's victim would affect the probabilities of the recipient's children becoming Mistings. If I were to spike the Allomantic Steel out of Wax, for example, then started a family, would my kids have a higher probability of becoming Coinshots? Or am I taking the "DNA" part of sDNA too literally? 

I'll check the WOB database to see if this has been addressed at all. WATCH THIS SPACE.

Edited by Unlicensed Hemalurgist

9 minutes ago, Unlicensed Hemalurgist said:

Interesting theory. I wonder if splicing your sDNA with that of the spike's victim would affect the probabilities of the recipient's children becoming Mistings. If I were to spike the Allomantic Steel out of Wax, for example, then started a family, would my kids have a higher probability of becoming Coinshots? Or am I taking the "DNA" part of sDNA too literally? 

It's a risky yes, but a yes nonetheless.

zas678

You've said that Inquisitors could have children. Would those children have a better chance at being Allomancers compared to if they had the kids before they were Inquisitors?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, but there also could be...complications.

Unless you're talking about specifically the powers you are spiked with, which the forum community has pretty solidly sided against. It doesn't seem like powers themselves are inherited so much as the ability to have powers. Inheriting specific powers would be something noted by the Nobility, would cancel out their entire "keep it secret" mentality, and would make Mistborn an.. interesting case.

Edited by The One Who Connects
Oh hey, post 2,600. Yay me

First of all, it's not easy to burn a Spike as like for the Metalmind you need the Spike's Identity to match the allomancer's one to burn.

Anyway the splicing of sDNA could honestly gives every kinds of effects. One could gain a degree of the attribute in the Spike but honestly every weirdness could happen.

3 hours ago, Casimir the Willshaper said:

If you burned a spike could you use the metalminds of the person that was spiked? Also, if that person had a shardblade would you be able to summon it?

We don't know anything yet about how Hemalurgy interacts with non-Scadrial magic systems, aside from the fact that it can.

14 hours ago, Casimir the Willshaper said:

If you burned a spike could you use the metalminds of the person that was spiked? Also, if that person had a shardblade would you be able to summon it?

Well we don't know at all what burning Spikes does.

Assuming that burning them gift the same effect of having them Hemalurgical implanted (and I am not too found in this).

Yes, you could use that guy's Metalminds, I am unsure about the Shardblade's part. I could see some pro and contros to this hypotesis

• Chaos locked this topic