[OB] Harkaylain and Shardplate

Solomonster

Hello everybody, I'm new around here, but here goes:

During Dalinar's first vision where he brings Queen Fen in, Dalinar takes the place of one of the two radiants in the vision.  He and windrunner radiant are on their way to save the village from the midnight essence attack.  Dalinar decides to do some probing and tells the windrunner that he's having trouble summoning and dismissing his Shardplate, to which the windrunner replies, "Talk to Harkaylain, or your spren."  So who is Harkaylain, and why would he/she know about fixing malfunctioning shardplate?  Harkaylain was also mentioned in this vision in WoK as someone who is predicting a desolation (and seems to have a knack for getting desolation timing right).

Welcome to the forums! :)

My personal read on it is that Harkaylain is an ancient Bondsmith. He seems to have been wise and in a position of authority. The fact that he could potentially help with a problem with the Nahel bond (which is what I think would cause some sort of malfunction to Shardplate) also implies Bondsmith to me, that he could potentially help them get around whatever problems with a bond a person might be having. I could even see a Bondsmith having helped someone like Kaladin in book two, who was really struggling with their oaths and bond and putting their spren at risk of death.

Yup. The radiant that dalinar was taking the place of was a stoneward. So Harkaylain was either a bondsmith or the head of that particular order and would know what was wrong with the bonds or ideals. 

Though, who knows how extensive the support staff for a fully operational urithiru would be? He could have been the equivalent of a quartermaster of shardplate maintenance or somesuch balderdash. 

1 hour ago, Head Crabs said:

Yup. The radiant that dalinar was taking the place of was a stoneward. So Harkaylain was either a bondsmith or the head of that particular order and would know what was wrong with the bonds or ideals. 

Really? I thought she looked like an Edgedancer to me? She uses regrowth and seems to move fluidly iirc?

• Chaos locked this topic