[OB] Who cried? (It's okay to cry. Admit it. You cried.)

Duke of Lizards

So, I was a giant ball of emotion during the last few hundred pages of Oathbringer.  I'm just curious:  Did anyone else have a good cry moment like me?  I cried briefly when Teft said his third ideal and wept to the point that my husband had to console me when it was revealed that Skar and Drehy saved Elhokar's son.  (He thought a character had died and had a good laugh at me when I explained that I was "happy" crying.)  Anyone?  Was it just me?  (disclaimer: I'm a pregnant lady, so my life is just a big emotional storm right now and that may be why I was so emotionally charged.)

Would you count tears of frustration at finishing this amazing book and then realizing we have 2-3 more years before we get to find out what happens next?

Congrats on the pregnancy. The little one must grow up to be a 17th Sharder! i believe that is in the forum bylaws somewhere. 

2 minutes ago, Duke of Lizards said:

So, I was a giant ball of emotion during the last few hundred pages of Oathbringer.  I'm just curious:  Did anyone else have a good cry moment like me?  I cried briefly when Teft said his third ideal and wept to the point that my husband had to console me when it was revealed that Skar and Drehy saved Elhokar's son.  (He thought a character had died and had a good laugh at me when I explained that I was "happy" crying.)  Anyone?  Was it just me?  (disclaimer: I'm a pregnant lady, so my life is just a big emotional storm right now and that may be why I was so emotionally charged.)

I did too on Teft's third oath, it was one of the most important/favourite moments in the book for me. I teared up a bit at Dalinar's moment of "you can't have my pain" and I was a mess when Elhokar died. And I have no pregnancy or PMS excuse :ph34r:

5 minutes ago, Duke of Lizards said:

Thanks! This kid is definitely being groomed for the shard: he/she already has a cobalt blue Bridge Four onesee!!

That. Is. Amazing!!!!

Wish i would have thought of doing a bridge four onesee when my son was just born. But then again my wife might have looked at me strange as she just couldn't get into the series.

I was zooming through it too fast the first time for emotions to really sink in, but Elhokar's death really forced me to pause for a few minutes. I didn't even think I cared that much, so it was a surprise as much as it was a tragedy that I just... wow. It really got me.

Edit: Oh, I totally forgot! I can't believe I forgot this part. At the very end, when Taln was lucid for a bit, and he started talking about how wonderful it was that it had been 4500 years, that it given the world so much time, the time that they needed... Yeah, I cracked there. Actual tears. We don't deserve Taln.

The moment Szeth considered swearing his 3rd Ideal to Dalinar, I got a huge smile on my face. When he plunged from the sky awash with light and bisected the thunderclast with Nightblood I pumped my fists in the air and whooped aloud. The mental image of Dalinar Kholin standing strong in front of a vast horde of Fused with Kaladin and Szeth by his side immediately invaded my mind and hasn't left since.

Storms, I can't wait to see what the three of them can do together.

Also: it will be fun to see Kal and Szeth argue over who is better at protecting Dalinar.

I definitely cried a lot. In my defense I've also had a lot of other stuff going on so it was partly this book and also partly because I just needed a good cry. So let's see, I cried when: Kaladin reunited with his parents, and then again when he met his brother, during the flashback where Adolin was born, when Shallan had her complete breakdown and Wit hugs her, when we find out exactly what happened to Evi, when Kaladin freezes and Elhokar dies, during the flashback where Dalinar is losing it, snaps at his sons, and Renarin hugs him, and when Jasnah spares Renarin and it talks about how she remembered comforting him a lot when they were younger because he was so quite and misunderstood and unloved and she hugs him and he breaks down again and I pretty much did not stop crying from that point onward until the end.

This book pretty thoroughly destroyed me, but in a good way.

First off cogratz on adding the future sharders ladies! 

1- I got a little misty eyed when Elhokar died which if you told me I would even care if he died before this book I would have thought you were crazy. He was finally becoming the leader he should be and then he starts the first oath and bam!

2- The scene where Renarin gives Dalinar the bottle and they hug I will admit I full on ugly cried. I'm a dad and stuff like this just gets me right in the feels. 

3- Teft's oath.. I am a recovering gaming addict and 12 stepper and that one just got me. Probably a lot of why #2 got me as well.  

Edit: 4- When Lift shows up to help Dalinar when all looked lost. I think this was more of happy tears.

Edited by StormingTexan

I cried in a bunch of places. I'm a big emotional softie when it comes to books and characters I love. A few off the top of my head:

• Elhokar dying while holding his son and the picture Shallan drew of him, saying the first ideal (big tears)
  • Renarin giving Dalinar a hug in his flashback
  • Jasnah reading Way of Kings to Dalinar
  • Kaladin and little bro
  • Jasnah sparing Renarin's life
  • Evi dying while trying to make peace and save lives
  • Teft's third ideal
  • Skar and Lyn glowing
  • Kaladin breaking down and not saying the fourth ideal, and Syl hugging him and saying it's okay
  • Pretty much all of part 5, especially Taln, Dalinar, and little Gavinor showing up alive at the end. I had been reading straight through and was mentally and emotionally exhausted, and the tears were flowing in all the parts.
Edited by Starla
typo

Dalinar finding out what Evi thought about him from Renarin.

Ash discovering that Taln was happy that he was abandoned to suffer for 4500 years.

Not sure what it says about me personally that the scenes I found the most emotionally crushing were the 2 involving characters receiving forgiveness when they felt they deserved hatred.  Maybe I've just always loved the parable of the Prodigal Son.

• Pagerunner changed the title to [OB] Who cried? (It's okay to cry. Admit it. You cried.)

There were moments of nearly crying:

-Taln and Ash

- Renarin in the flashback

- Jasnah and Renarin

Really crying:

- "I am brocken." - " Who isn't?"

After a bad year with my husband's death this was like a slap in my face.

Crying but more tears of rage:

-Elhokar/Gavinor

In that moment neither Moash nor Brandon Sanderson would have survived in my presence.

And Kaladin - you remember your second oath?

There is the epitome of someone who can't defend himself in this chaos - a little boy - and you freeze?

And all was present again at the end of the book - I'm looking at you, Navani!

She doesn't even ask about her grandson  - Urgh.

No crying in this book, but red eyed with the Shallan-Adolin scene just before Kaladin starts summoning windspren in Shadesmar.

He settled down next to her. Storms, his overt concern was annoying. She didn’t want him worrying about her. “Shallan?” he asked.

“Shallan will be fine,” she said. “I’ll bring her back in a moment. I just have to recover . . . her . . .”

Adolin glanced at the fluttering pages with the different versions of her. He reached out and hugged her, saying nothing. Which turned out to be the right thing to say. She closed her eyes and tried to pull herself together. “Which one do you like the most?

she finally asked. “Veil is the one who wears the white outfit, but I’m having trouble with her right now. She peeks out sometimes when I don’t want, but then won’t come when I need her.

Radiant is the one who practices with the sword. I made her prettier than the others, and you can talk to her about dueling.

But some of the time, I’ll have to be someone who can Lightweave. I’m trying to think of who she should be. . . .” “Ash’s eyes, Shallan!”

“Shallan’s broken, so I think I’m trying to hide her. Like a cracked vase, where you turn the nice side toward the room, hiding the flaw. I’m not doing it on purpose, but it’s happening, and I don’t know how to stop it.” He held her. “No advice?” she asked, numb. “Everyone always seems to have loads.”

“You’re the smart one. What can I say?”

“It’s confusing, being all these people. I feel like I’m presenting different faces all the time. Lying to everyone, because I’m different inside. I . . . That doesn’t make sense, does it?”

She squeezed her eyes shut again. “I’ll pull it back together. I’ll be . . . someone.”

“I . . .” He pulled her tight again as the ship rocked. “Shallan, I killed Sadeas.”

She blinked, then pulled back and looked him in the eyes. “What?” “I killed Sadeas,” Adolin whispered.

“We met in the corridors of the tower. He started insulting Father, talking about the terrible things he was going to do to us. And . . . and I couldn’t listen anymore. Couldn’t stand there and look at his smug red face. So . . . I attacked him.”

“So all that time we were hunting a killer . . .”

“It was me. I’m the one the spren copied the first time. I kept thinking about how I was lying to you, to Father, and to everyone. The honorable Adolin Kholin, the consummate duelist. A murderer. And Shallan, I . . . I don’t think I’m sorry.

“Sadeas was a monster. He repeatedly tried to get us killed. His betrayal caused the deaths of many of my friends. When I formally challenged him to a duel, he wiggled out of it. He was smarter than me. Smarter than Father. He’d have won eventually. So I killed him.”

He pulled her to him and took a deep breath. Shallan shivered, then whispered, “Good for you.”

“Shallan! You’re a Radiant. You’re not supposed to condone something like this!”

“I don’t know what I’m supposed to do. I only know that the world is a better place for the death of Torol Sadeas.”

“Father wouldn’t like it, if he knew.” “Your father is a great man,” Shallan said, “who is, perhaps, better off not knowing everything. For his own good.” Adolin breathed in again. With her head pressed to his chest, the air moving in and out of his lungs was audible, and his voice was different. More resonant. “Yeah,” he said.

“Yeah, maybe. In any case, I think I know what it’s like to feel like you’re lying to the world. So maybe if you figure out what to do, you could tell me?”

She leaned into him, listening to his heartbeat, his breathing. She felt his warmth. “You never did say,” she whispered, “which one you prefer.”

“It’s obvious. I prefer the real you.”

“Which one is that, though?”

“She’s the one I’m talking to right now. You don’t have to hide, Shallan. You don’t have to push it down. Maybe the vase is cracked, but that only means it can show what’s inside. And I like what’s inside.

So warm. Comfortable. And strikingly unfamiliar. What was this peace? This place without fear?