(OB) We need to talk about Eshonai

Toaster Retribution

On 12/4/2017 at 0:11 AM, RShara said:

I suspect Eshonai was always intended to die, and become a martyr for the Parshendi that have resisted so far.

I know this post was made 2 years ago, but since this thread was necroed already, I figured I would add the recent information that we have regarding the original intentions of Eshonai. Not calling you out, as I know you probably are well aware of this quote already, but quoted you to give the WoB context. This is more for new readers of this thread. Hope that covered all the bases!

Questioner

Were you intending to kill Eshonai off from the beginning of the series, or is that a decision you made later on?

Brandon Sanderson

That was a decision I made later in the outlining process. It was not begun that way, but it became obvious I needed to do it fairly early on. Why?

Questioner

I was just wondering, because as I was reading Way of Kings, a lot of people thought she was going to be a continuing character, maybe even be one of the good guys later on.

Brandon Sanderson

Right. The decision I came to, and it was probably-- Trying to remember exactly when it was. When I came to the decision that Venli was more interesting as a perspective, viewpoint character than her sister was, because we already had characters in the series whose attribute was paragon of their-- This kind of paragon soldier who's trying to do the right thing is well covered in The Stormlight Archive. She was intended originally, but pretty early in the revision process, I decided it needed to go the other direction, 'cause Venli just worked way better as a viewpoint character.

Questioner

Is Eshonai still getting a flashback book?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, she's still getting a flashback book. I didn't change any of that. In fact, before I even began the series, I knew there were some characters who would not make it to their flashback book, and I wanted to make sure that I made clear that that could happen.

Questioner

You said that before, I was like, I want to hear it.

Brandon Sanderson

Eshonai was intended to continue through, but I changed that pretty quickly, when I realized-- like I said.

1 hour ago, Toaster Retribution said:

Venli was always more intriguing than Eshonai, who, frankly, was one of Brandons more boring people, I think.

Considering how little we know about either of them I would not call that a fair assessment.

I’ve posted another thread in regards to how I think the Eshonai flashbacks/Venli main story will work. I think they will be mirrors of each other while both following the same theme of “shaping” into who you need to become. Eshonai starts out as an explorer leaving home. Venli starts as a scholar staying home. Eshonai’s flashbacks illustrate her reluctantly growing to becoming a general for her dying people meaning she has to leave her comfort zone by putting aside the explorer and staying home. Venli’s arc will have her reluctantly growing to be a leader for Singers who break from Odium/the Fused meaning she has to leave her comfort zone of safety/ambition among her people and leaving everything she has ever known/thought she wanted. 

23 hours ago, Karger said:

Considering how little we know about either of them I would not call that a fair assessment.

It is kinda subjective. But I think that Eshonai was basically just honor, and caring for her people, thrust in a role she didnt want. A good character, but we have similar ones already.

Venli is hungry for power, sided with Odium, realizes that she is doing the wrong thing, and has to try to become like Eshonai, while fighting the feeling that she can’t and isnt worthy. 

I think that Venli is more unique to SA. And to me personally, she is defenitely more appealing.

4 hours ago, Toaster Retribution said:

It is kinda subjective. But I think that Eshonai was basically just honor, and caring for her people, thrust in a role she didnt want. A good character, but we have similar ones already.

Given the same information on Kaladin I would have to conclude that he is just a hopeless former soldier who has been wronged badly.

10 hours ago, Toaster Retribution said:

Venli is hungry for power, sided with Odium, realizes that she is doing the wrong thing, and has to try to become like Eshonai, while fighting the feeling that she can’t and isnt worthy.

Venli did what was necessary. By the time the Parshendi unleashed Stormform, there was no other option. They would have been massacred and/or driven into slavery. Eshonai was in the end too sane and too obedient to save her people. Not only did she not want her role, she was unable to fulfill it. Strategically she failed to provide for the case of her peace plans failing.

A good plane would have been something like accepting Stormform for enough people to wake the Everstorm, evacuate the civilans and send a part of her troops out for delaying actions at night.

6 hours ago, Karger said:

Given the same information on Kaladin I would have to conclude that he is just a hopeless former soldier who has been wronged badly.

Still, it is a character we don’t really have in Stormlight (Moash doesnt count since he is Kaladins foil, basically). Eshonai is already pretty similar to Dalinar in both character and conflict, which is why she feels less interesting.

• Chaos locked this topic