Hemalurgy on other worlds

Kari

Question

I was going through some WoB with the tag "Hemalurgy", and found this.

Spoiler

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/33/#e2749

Herald (paraphrased)

What about Hemalurgy in other worlds other than Mistborn?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Yes.

Herald (paraphrased)

I again asked with the exception of kandra, have seen Hemalurgy such as people who may have been spiked.

He repeated "You have seen Hemalurgy in other worlds."

Where have we seen it?

7 answers to this question

2 hours ago, Hunt2man said:

I was going through some WoB with the tag "Hemalurgy", and found this.

Reveal hidden contents

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/33/#e2749

Herald (paraphrased)

What about Hemalurgy in other worlds other than Mistborn?

Yes.

Herald (paraphrased)

I again asked with the exception of kandra, have seen Hemalurgy such as people who may have been spiked.

He repeated "You have seen Hemalurgy in other worlds."

Where have we seen it?

There is speculation that the "Hair pins" in Mraize's collection are actually Hemalurgic spikes.

Yeah, given that Mraize's collection includes several easily recognizable worldhopping trophies (and we have WoB on the really mysterious one) it's quite likely that what Shallan thinks are hairpins are actually hemalurgic spikes. Beyond that there's been speculation on individuals who may be spiked but nothing definite.

2 hours ago, Ookla the maladroit said:

I’ve always thought Mraize was spiked. He is so powerfully influenced by Odium. Also, could the parshendi be considered “spiked” with their gemhearts? Gems are the same thing on Roshar as metal is on Scadrial. 

Not really seeing the same sort of thing with Mraize that you do with spiked people, at all.

And even if the listeners being influenced are analogous to Ruin influencing people, they wouldn't qualify as hemalurgically spiked. They'd be influenced by a different shard, a different magic system and probably in a slightly different way even if there are some similar fundamentals at work. We also have WoB that while Odium can influence people in a similar way to Ruin, he has to use different methods. The listeners specifically are noted to be protected from the method Ruin would have used, so Odium has to use spren as an intermediary and only some spren work. And for humans, he needs to use the Unmade and can't do it himself.

TLDR: There's related stuff going on, but not to the extent that we could say that the listeners are 'hemalurgically spiked'.

Edited by Weltall

The definition (i think) of a hemalurgic spike is some object that takes part of a somebody's essence from the spiritual realm, and sticks it into some other person. I see you're point that Parshendi probably could not be considered spiked. However, I still think it is possible to spike somebody with something other than metal.

OB spoilers

Spoiler

The Fused are essentially Parshendi who have had their entire Spiritual aspects and Cognitive aspects replaced by that of another, by way of their gemhearts. If that isn't spiking, than I don't know what is.

3 hours ago, Ookla the maladroit said:

The definition (i think) of a hemalurgic spike is some object that takes part of a somebody's essence from the spiritual realm, and sticks it into some other person. I see you're point that Parshendi probably could not be considered spiked. However, I still think it is possible to spike somebody with something other than metal.

OB spoilers

Reveal hidden contents

The Fused are essentially Parshendi who have had their entire Spiritual aspects and Cognitive aspects replaced by that of another, by way of their gemhearts. If that isn't spiking, than I don't know what is.

the problem is that that isn't the definition of a hemalurgic spike.  a hemalurgic spike is something that does what you are saying using hemalurgy, among other things, this will generally restrict it to being made of metal.  if you found a way to do it using the Aon Dar or using Ferruchemy, or even using the spren bond, then what you have created might achieve the same ends, but it is not a hemalurgic spike.

that is sort of like saying a Television Show is anythign which tells you a story episodically.  Webcomics and book series fit that definition too, but they are completely different media.

Edited by Dunkum

11 hours ago, Ookla the maladroit said:

OB spoilers

Reveal hidden contents

The problem like others said, It's your definition is wrong.

For example, someone could say that Feruchemy is "store Investiture into a Metal object that could be retrived later" but this doesn't mean storing Breath in a Metal object is Feruchemy.