[OB] Crackpot Theory: Rysn

TheOneKEA

I like this theory, except that if Rysn were to become a Bondsmith she would be able to heal her paralysis--and then she would be stuck in Urithiru, when what she really wants is to travel.  Although, that would make for good character development as she struggles with that and...yes.  I have changed my mind, I just straight up like the idea of this theory (even though I find it unlikely).

Personally my money there is on Navani. When Dalinar was retreating into his alcoholism and depression we see her manage to work the Coalition just as efficiently, if not better than Dalinar. She has a penchant for fitting pieces together. Not to mention her interest in Fabrials and Urithiru as a whole. 

Edited by Amanuensis

2 hours ago, kaellok said:

I like this theory, except that if Rysn were to become a Bondsmith she would be able to heal her paralysis--and then she would be stuck in Urithiru, when what she really wants is to travel.  Although, that would make for good character development as she struggles with that and...yes.  I have changed my mind, I just straight up like the idea of this theory (even though I find it unlikely).

Would she though? Wasn't there a mention of seeking Stormlight healing earlier, before Rysn shot it down, saying it wasn't going to work on her?

20 minutes ago, Necessary Eagle said:

That was about Regrowth. Healing yourself from your own Stormlight works differently.

Do you have links to some relevant WoB or theory on this? Last time I was in, the consensus seemed to be that Regrowth and Stormlight healing both had to do with your Cognitive image of yourself, such that my assumption was if Regrowth can't do it for Rysn, neither should Stormlight healing.

25 minutes ago, Necessary Eagle said:

That was about Regrowth. Healing yourself from your own Stormlight works differently.

Ehm no...Every kind of Healing (except the Selish ones as they work under other principle)will be able to fix Rysn's damage.

Regrowth didn't work because Rysn sees herself unable to walk as her normal state now. It's not something to fix for her because her Cognitive Self sees herself as unable to walk (it's exactly the same thing that prevent Kal from healing his Scars). Everything I said before will be still true if Surgebinding's Stormlight is involved

EDIT: I wrote the post at the same time @Kasimir did and he is right and my reply unnecessary XD

Edited by Yata

Surely Lopen viewed himself as one-armed, yet he was able to regrow his arm. Hobber had been paralyzed for likely a similar amount of time to Rysn and seemed resigned to his fate before healing.

Then there's the counter example of Kal's brands remaining. I'm not sure how to reconcile these.

11 minutes ago, duladen said:

Surely Lopen viewed himself as one-armed, yet he was able to regrow his arm. Hobber had been paralyzed for likely a similar amount of time to Rysn and seemed resigned to his fate before healing.

Then there's the counter example of Kal's brands remaining. I'm not sure how to reconcile these.

Hoid jokes about his one-armed but he doesn't see himself as a one-arm. He never accept the arm's lost...don't mix know something and accept something.

7 minutes ago, Leyrann said:

I think there's differences between Regrowth and Stormlight healing, as I would say it is safe to assume that Renarin has tried to heal Hobber.

Hobber's change is not due the Healing itself. Kal pushed him in want to be whole again, he pushed Hobber to change in the Cognitive and once he did that. The first surge of Healing fixed him...but that will happen regardless of the Healing's source.

By the way we know by WoB and WoR's scene that Regrowth could heal a Spiritual damage quite fine.

Probably there is some efficiency difference between the Stormlight's Healing and Regrowth (and Regrowth by description is superior in this) but not in what those Healing could heal

9 minutes ago, duladen said:

Nope. 

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/218/#e6640

Questioner

Why can Stormlight heal Lopen's arm, but can't heal Kaladin's scars?

Brandon Sanderson

Because *photo pause* a lot of the healing in the Cosmere works on principles of expectation and how you envision yourself. 

Questioner

So Kaladin has accepted the scars.

Brandon Sanderson

Kaladin has accepted the scars, and Lopen never accepted the one arm. It's a good question, it's one I am hoping people will ask. [...] It's one of these ties when I built the magic systems that I wanted certain threads to run through them, so when I eventually have them being used in the same books, that there will be consistency among them, that so they won't feel like everything's just thrown together. So, for instance, the intention and expectation, for instance, in Warbreaker-- What you want to have happened influences what does happen, the expectation, the way you are thinking about things. Very important for most of the Cosmere magics.

We see it even in some of his jokes. 

"My other arm, the one that you can't see, is making a rude gesture at you right now."

As far as we know all Cosmere healing works the same way as has been mentioned above.

Lopen never saw himself as crippled at all so he was able to heal. 

Kaladin sees the brands/scars as part of himself so he didnt heal them.

Hobber has struggled to find a place since he lost the use of his legs, hasnt adjusted yet so probably still sees himself as able bodied so was healable. I doubt Renarin ever tried to heal him.

Rysn wishes she could still travel but ultimately has accepted she is unable to and so healing doesnt work.

9 minutes ago, Yata said:

He never accept the arm's lost...don't mix know something and accept something.

I hadn't mixed them up, I honestly thought Lopen had accepted the loss of his arm. Your point about Hobber makes sense, thanks!

7 minutes ago, Ookla, the Incalculable said:

Nope. 

Thanks for the WOB on this!

I'm in agreement then - Rysn is likely not getting back the use of her legs.

10 hours ago, Jace21 said:

As far as we know all Cosmere healing works the same way as has been mentioned above.

Lopen never saw himself as crippled at all so he was able to heal. 

Kaladin sees the brands/scars as part of himself so he didnt heal them.

Hobber has struggled to find a place since he lost the use of his legs, hasnt adjusted yet so probably still sees himself as able bodied so was healable. I doubt Renarin ever tried to heal him.

Rysn wishes she could still travel but ultimately has accepted she is unable to and so healing doesnt work.

Except that Rysn decides that she does want to have the ship and go traveling.  Also, that was her mentor's wish for her, right before he was brutally murdered in front of her eyes; I'm sure that she would want to honor his memory by fulfilling his wish for her.

On the other hand, it could be very interesting to see a Radiant who is also a paraplegic, but I don't think that an Interlude character would be the best way to explore that possibility.  A Skybreaker or Windrunner would make for some very interesting contrast--someone who can fly, but not walk.

Oh she wants to have the ship and go travelling, she may even do it.

But she will do it despite being paraplegic, she seems to have accepted it and is carrying on anyway.

This is in a direct contrast to Hobber who never really seemed yo get over it amd wad therefore unhealable.

9 hours ago, Raleford said:

Just to throw a wrench, Renarin stopped wearing glasses.

My speculation for why the Stormlight Healed his glasses is that perhaps Renarin never really accepted having to use them as part of who he was, since he wanted to be like his father and brother. So his Cognitive/Spiritual self (I can't remember which one healing is based off of) doesn't need glasses because his eyes aren't bad dammit, so Stormlight fixed that.

I think this is possible (and it's the only explanation that I can come up with atm), especially thinking about Rock's conversation with Renarin, and how he's spent most of his life denying that he's a certain way because he didn't want to accept that he was so different from the rest of his family (which IMO would include the glasses).

I think there is a definitely a time limit to Regrowth. Renarin is unable to heal people from Thaylen City only a few weeks after the Everstorm; I don't think that's long enough for people's image of themselves to permanently change to account for their injuries. 

I really like Ryan, but I think she fits Willshaper better than Bondsmith. Actually, my personal headcanon is that she shows up in the back 5, 15 years later, with a pet greatshell.

I'm in agreement with Nicrosil that Rysn becomes a Willshaper, though Dustbringer is also possible.

Pre-Oathbringer, I was reading over the Gem List, specifically the primary and secondary attribute associated to each gem/Herald/principle set.  Each one has something to do with the order's we've seen.  Sapphire is about protecting and leading (much like the Windrunners are all about protection, and also are the order with the most Squires historically and now).  Smokestone is about being just and confident - the Skybreakers uphold the law (or the law they swear to), and are confident in their laws.  The Diamond goes to Loving and Healing, associated with the Edgedancers (who hear and remember the ignored and forgotten, and physically and emotionally help people heal).  

For the amethyst, the gem for the Willshapers, you have Resolute and Builder.  Rysn never gives up, regardless of the challenge, and also worked as a trader to build connections and understanding.  Further, we know from one of the WoR epigraphs that the Willshapers were somewhat unpredictable and erratic.  Kind of like someone who would go past the chain of command and speak directly to an island god...

Now, I mention Dustbringers as a possibility.  This is because, before I remembered the epigraph for the Willbreakers, I looked at the traits for the Dustbringers: Brave and Obedient.  Rysn faces her fears of failing in obedience of her Babsk's desires, and confronts them head on (the idea of bravery not being without fear, but facing the fear you have).  And Oathbringer did make it clear she did what needed to be done when strange things were afoot.  When she realized someone was stealing from the treasury, she did everything in her power to try to stop it, without regards for herself.

I still think Willshaper is more likely, but I bring up Dustbringer as a possibility.

• Chaos locked this topic