[OB] The Ghostbloods' Purpose

Quickbronze

Okay so, as far as we know, there are four secret societies on Roshar; the Sons of Honor, the Skybreakers, the Diagram, and the Ghostbloods. The Sons of Honor want to return the Desolations in order to force humankind to reach it's full potential. The Skybreakers want to enforce justice, and they currently serve Odium in order to return Roshar to the Parshendi. The Diagram also wants to serve Odium; in this case, they wish to serve Odium in order to gain favor for themselves when/if he wins. As for the Ghostbloods, well... We don't know what their motivation is. We have almost no clue. 

Based on the points of data, I have created this theory; the Ghostbloods serve Odium as intelligence agents in the wider Cosmere and on Roshar.

The three points are this: 

1) All the other three societies we know of serve Odium in some way. The Diagram serves him directly, the Sons of Honor work to return the Desolations, and the Skybreakers want to help the Parshendi reconquer Roshar. 

2) Odium has been defeated before. We know that Odium has lost before. This is why Honor believes he will agree to a contest of champions, and presumably why he is currently trapped. Odium is an extremely powerful shard, having splintered four(?) other Shards in his time. Knowing this, I doubt that local forces alone would have been enough to trap him, especially with Tanavast's reference to forces in slumber. This would give him a strong reason to keep an eye on the Cosmere at large.

3) We know the Ghostbloods contain worldhoppers, or the descendants of worldhoppers. 

Of course, the Ghostbloods aren't an exclusively off-world operation. This leads me to think there is some kind of division in the organization, with some agents working on-world, others working off. This makes sense, as if is theory is correct, they would be the only one of the secret societies completely under Odium's control, and the only one he would be safe trusting with important and covert operations. 

The Skybreakers and the Diagram only recently switched to Odium and their members might still object to that. 

I think the Skybreakers were initiated by the late Honor, and the Sons of Honor might have been initiated by Odium. That leaves Cultivation without a secret society, so my guess is that she might have initiated the Ghostbloods. The Diagram was only recently created by accident. 

2 minutes ago, Maxell said:

I doubt that the Ghostbloods are Odiums intellegence/spy network. Marize knows that Shallan is a Lightweaver but Odium followed the lie that she's an Elsecaller.

I don't recall that - when do we see Odium being wrong about this?

He has minions in this realm, and they will be told to hunt you. So take care. Fortunately, he doesn’t know that you’re a Lightweaver—he thinks you are an Elsecaller for some reason. I will do what I can, but I’m not sure he trusts me any longer. 

The spren fluttered away.

This was from when the corrupted glory spren was talking to Shallan in Shadesmar. Although it is Sja-anat and so it could still be deceit.

I'm pretty sure the Ghostbloods are a secret society that's out to come out on the winning side regardless of which side wins. I don't see them as having much attachment to anyone or anything in particular. They just want to control events to lead to their own prosperity and power. 

• Pagerunner changed the title to [OB] The Ghostbloods' Purpose
  • Chaos locked this topic