[OB] What do you guys want from book four?

ICanDream

3 hours ago, Brightlord Maelstrom said:

That is a fair point. And I doubt he'll need time to train. I mean, his mastery of Gravitation is good enough that even without knowledge of Division he is still a formidable opponent. And he has Nightblood...

I meant time for him to train the others. Szeth is already pretty formidable with just Gravitation and Nightblood. I think Division is one of the more powerful Surges though and hes only half as formidable as he will become.

Its been in the back of my head since I finished OB, but its kind of seeming like book 4 will kind of be the book of the 4th Ideal. Kaladin will probably speak the 4th, Szeth and Lift are due. If the theories are wrong Dalinar would be on his 4th. And Renarin, his Words have been behind the scenes, but he got his Blade in OB, so probably 3rd. We could not only see his 4th as well, but learn more about his hybrid Knight status. Thats perhaps 5 KRs that could speak the 4th Ideal in the 4th book. Coincidence? Maybe. Maybe not. This is BS. Who can know the mind of one such as he?

I just want to understand the conflict. So far, The Stormlight Archives have been an onion. In OB, it almost felt like we had gotten to the core of the story; however, when one stops to think about it, we really just met the villain and foiled his plan A.

So, now the world stands divided, the KR understand themselves very little,  and they still aren't whole.

We still have very little idea about how the Heralds are a part of the story now that the Everstorm has come, and we have no idea how to fight Odium or even what the good guy's goal for fighting him is. I seriously doubt that the KR can fight and win against a god. Perhaps all bets are in for the eventual contest of champions, but that doesn't say how Odium will be dealt with even if the good guys won.

Also we still have no clue about the Shin, the Aimians, or Cultivation. The 4th book needs to pull some of this together so that we can wrap up some loose ends before the end of book 5.

11 minutes ago, CupofJobin said:

So my question is, if szeth trained with all of the honorblades, why did he use jezrien's honorblade? Did he choose to use that one, or was he made to take that specific one?

He "wasn't allowed to relinquish his blade" (WoR interludes iirc) as part of his sentence as a Truthless. That implies he was given it specifically, I doubt they'd have let him choose if he was being condemned.

On 11/26/2017 at 11:44 AM, Toaster Retribution said:

7. Odium making pancakes for King Ts grandchildren.

Yeah but Lift would just steal them.

I could list a thousand character interactions I want see (basically Lift with Nightblood meeting everyone, especially Bridge 4) and a thousand incredible story moments, but after OB I'm most interested in seeing what Brandon has coming that no one sees coming.

In OB alone we basically had two climaxes (parts 3 and 5) and a stormton of events that many here (myself included) thought would be major book 5+ reveals.  The Recreance (sort of, more has to come on that,) Dalinar v. Odium, Odium's champion, Dalinar 'Ascending' or whatever he did, Lift entering the main story, prominent placement of Worldhoppers, mulititude of Unmade, Nightblood's crazy powers shown and so many other things I can't remember because it's early and I need coffee.

So what gets me most excited about book 4 is just what major events are going to be in the book, which right now is basically everything left I thought would be drawn out over multiple books.

-A major interaction and convo with Cultivation

-Ghostbloods becoming main narrative players and their goal revealed.

-What's wrong with Roshar's afterlife, and just what the Tranquiline Halls really are.

-Taln and Ash entering the main narrative as major players

-Just what the heck is up with Shinovar

-THE STRATA!

-All Urithiru secrets

-Everything about Ishar/Tezim, since now that the Heralds are known/being found, and Tezim is known as one, he's going to have a big role in book 4.

-A certain someone from Mistborn showing up, just because.

After the gloriousness and incredible journey that was OB, I really can't imagine what craziness Brandon will come up with next time around.

EDIT:  And one more thing to add.  It's a little more obvious of a book 4 thing after how OB ended, but the results and affects of Dalinar's Oathbringer writing are going to be huge story wise, I think.  Shallan's oath at the end of WoR had a MAJOR impact on her in OB, and I expect something similar, but on a national/Rosharian scale.

Edited by What's a Seawolf?
Addition

What I want to see from book 4? Well, here we go...

1. Some storming emotional moments! Adolin and Shallan got married, for Honor’s sake! Let’s see some feelings happening there! Jasnah and Shallan having an actual conversation! Jasnah and Renarin talking about his corruption and how it’s okay! And maybe even an ending to the love-triangle-that-never-really-was that feels a little bit more conclusive. 
  2. Kaladin’s fourth Ideal! And honestly, I’d prefer this one to be spoken early in the book, Part 2 maybe. Having him speak an Oath in sort of a quieter moment, instead of climactically on a battlefield would be an interesting change of pace. 
  3. Shardplate! We all but saw Jasnah manifest something, so at least a scene of her in private, summoning a glove or something. 
  4. An exploration of Dalinar’s semi-Shard powers that he somehow gained with the Stormfather. What do they mean? How strong is he, really?
  5. Kaladin having some sort of a relationship would be great. 
  6. Moash-Vyre getting burned eternally in the pits of Braize. Or dying very painfully. I’d settle for him getting a blast of Division to the face, or Nightblood’s tender mercies. 
  7. Lift meeting more of the other Radiants, them reacting to Lift being, well, herself. 
  8. Since Lift and Szeth did seem to be paired up for things multiple times in this book, maybe them going to Shinovar. 
  9. Szeth’s highspren! Their name, and us seeing them.
  10. The Sibling! I haven’t seen them, but I already love them. 
  11. Szeth starting an Order of Skybreakers in Urithiru, or more Skybreakers choosing to follow the new Knights Radiant instead of Odium. 
  12. Venli joining up with the Urithiru Nine, and learning more about her powers. 
  13. Ash and Taln getting a bit better, maybe. Just more of them. And no more Heralds better get killed! (Lookin’ at you, MOASH!)

Edited by Ookla the Heraldic

2 hours ago, Ookla the Heraldic said:

The Sibling! I haven’t seen them, but I already love them.

THIS!!!! Ever since I heard that there were 3 Bondsmith spren I have been wanting to meet this third one. And the fact that this third one wasn't shown in OB really, really makes me excited to see it. I mean, considering how big the reveals are in OB, this really has potential.

4 hours ago, Ookla the Heraldic said:
  1. Some storming emotional moments! Adolin and Shallan got married, for Honor’s sake! Let’s see some feelings happening there! Jasnah and Shallan having an actual conversation! Jasnah and Renarin talking about his corruption and how it’s okay! And maybe even an ending to the love-triangle-that-never-really-was that feels a little bit more conclusive. 
  2. Moash-Vyre getting burned eternally in the pits of Braize. Or dying very painfully. I’d settle for him getting a blast of Division to the face, or Nightblood’s tender mercies. 
  3. Lift meeting more of the other Radiants, them reacting to Lift being, well, herself. 
  4. Since Lift and Szeth did seem to be paired up for things multiple times in this book, maybe them going to Shinovar. 
  5. Szeth’s highspren! Their name, and us seeing them.
  6. Szeth starting an Order of Skybreakers in Urithiru, or more Skybreakers choosing to follow the new Knights Radiant instead of Odium. 

I support this with everything I have! Especially the Moash burning in the pits of Braize. 

To add to this.. 

• A clear resolution for Shallan's mental problems and for her to forgive and learn to love herself and still be strong and independent. 
  • A full book dedicated only to random conversations between Szeth, Nightblood and ocasionally Lift 
  • More Venli 
  • For important/emotional moments not to be skipped (like the Szeth talk, Jasnah reunion etc were) : Shallan telling Adolin about the Ghostbloods, Shallan telling her brothers about her the journey, Dalinar telling his sons about what he did, everyone reacting to Renarin's corrupted spren 
  • More Adolin and Kaladin bromance 
  • More Rysn 
  • More of Kaladin's family (I have seen some interesting theories about them so I want to see where that goes) 

I want to know what the deal is with shardplate besides that you get it when you speak the 4th ideal.

I want to know the orders and surges (voids? Some other name?) of voidbinding

I want (need) to know all about Shin and Szeth's past and everything about that whole situation

I want to know how the old magic works

1. First of all I don't know who the Flashback character will be, but I'm hoping for Sezth (and of course more Nightblood).
  2. I want Kaladin to say the 4th oath, Ideally not in some moment of great conflict where he gets a power up (especially since I think the oath has to do with accepting you can't save everyone) but during a moment of introspection, maybe something like what happened to Lopen,
  3. I want someone to tell Shallan or for her to realize that she's fracturing her personality, instead of finding her "true self" like she thinks she's doing.
  4. More Jashna and Kaladin scenes! I like the idea of the ship though I don't really care if they get together, making them argue more would just be hilarious.
  5. More progress on Adolin bringing Maya back to life.
  6. Lastly, I want the Stormfather to get over his "no blade for you Dalinar" thing, though I think this is very unlikely (since he's a spren and he's already said it causes him pain to change)

1. Learn more about voidbinding

2. Sadly its not his book, but I want Szeth, Nightblood and his new highspren to at least start their CRUSADE TO DESTROY EVIL (in Shinovar)

3. Dalinar telling Adolin and Renarin the truth about what happened to their mother (I swear if this happens offscreen...)

4. There's a full own war with the voidbringers now so I'd to see some of these big armies clashing with eathother all over Roshar. I want to see some tactics for dealing with the Fused and frontline action for the more combat orientated Radiants.

6. It'll be Eshonai/Venli's so maybe so cool, perhaps non-evil, Listener forms? From her last scene in the book, I got the impression Venli is planning on starting some sort of secret mini-resistance within Odium's ranks. Watching sabotage Odiums plans from the inside would be cool.

5. Some Shallan and Kaladin banter please. They barely talked at all in Oathbringer.

Edited by Arch

2 hours ago, Matt Snow said:

Lastly, I want the Stormfather to get over his "no blade for you Dalinar" thing, though I think this is very unlikely (since he's a spren and he's already said it causes him pain to change)

My personal headcannon is that the Stormfather is too big to condense to the size of a sword. Maybe a tank? :ph34r:

• Chaos locked this topic