[OB] My problem with Jasnah

Toaster Retribution

• 3 weeks later...

I love Jasnah. She is probably my favorite female character in any fantasy book I have ever read. however, I feel like Jasnah's religious beliefs were formed by the author's stereotypes about atheists. She is the type of militant atheist that many religious people think all atheists are like. I know Sanderson got a lot of feedback from fans who are not religious. I think this characterization is a bit insulting. I am tired of this stereotype and I know Sanderson is a religious person it is obvious in all of his books. I love the series this is in no way meant to be insulting to anyone.

1 hour ago, Tommen said:

I love Jasnah. She is probably my favorite female character in any fantasy book I have ever read. however, I feel like Jasnah's religious beliefs were formed by the author's stereotypes about atheists. She is the type of militant atheist that many religious people think all atheists are like. I know Sanderson got a lot of feedback from fans who are not religious. I think this characterization is a bit insulting. I am tired of this stereotype and I know Sanderson is a religious person it is obvious in all of his books. I love the series this is in no way meant to be insulting to anyone.

I'm a little confused. How is Jasnah a militant atheist? She makes it a point to respect people for what they are, regardless of belief. Note how she defends Taravangian to Shallan, despite his seemingly "simplemindedness". And she's not trying to "convert" people to atheism or contradict their beliefs unless they start in on her first.

I just think her beliefs are considered an affront to society. Weren't Mr. T's students concerned for Shallan's soul because she became Jasnah's ward? I know that may have been a lie by the ghostblood assassin. I don't know, I think her atheism will be a huge problem for her in book four

40 minutes ago, Tommen said:

I just think her beliefs are considered an affront to society. Weren't Mr. T's students concerned for Shallan's soul because she became Jasnah's ward? I know that may have been a lie by the ghostblood assassin. I don't know, I think her atheism will be a huge problem for her in book four

That may be, but that's different than being a "militant atheist".

I don't really see a problem with her. To me she is just Kelsier without the charisma.

• They are both Intelligent
  • They are both deadly 
  • They are both severely lacking in empathy (they only show it to a very small number of people)
  • They both have an insanely high opinion of themselves (both were earned)    
  • They are both extremely polarising to people in world

While I can see what you're saying... 

28 minutes ago, Dancer said:

They are both severely lacking in empathy (they only show it to a very small number of people)

I very much disagree. Jasnah, unlike the other mentioned, is not a Sociopath. Just because she hides her emotions does not mean she doesn't feel them. 

One has an actual reduced capacity for empathy. The other is just reserved. 

Throughout the story I have only seen her display empathy for her family and Shallan. There is being reserved and then there is being stone cold. Yes she can feel empathy just like how Kelsier can feel empathy towards Mare, Vin, Marsh and his crew. But they both only shown empathy to a select few. That's how I see it anyway 

7 hours ago, Dancer said:

Throughout the story I have only seen her display empathy for her family and Shallan. There is being reserved and then there is being stone cold. Yes she can feel empathy just like how Kelsier can feel empathy towards Mare, Vin, Marsh and his crew. But they both only shown empathy to a select few. That's how I see it anyway 

If you check out the thread that animalia linked, there are numerous examples of jasnah being empathic to others including strangers and even the human race on whole. 

• Chaos locked this topic