[OB] Dalinar´s Fifth Ideal

Awesomness

7 hours ago, Hoidonalsium said:

Brandon
He should be at three. "Life before death" - "I will unite instead of divide" - "I will stand up each time I fall" - yeah, so he's done three.

THANK YOU for asking him! It was really confusing. Still, seems like an odd choice to have him say "I am unity" right after the skybreakers mentioned their 5th ideal.

On 02/12/2017 at 1:17 AM, Ookla the Lightweaver said:

As far as I can tell, Dalinar did something that made him access Honor's power, and that was how he made the Perpendicularity, Odium said, "no, we killed you!" Meaning him(and someone else) shattered Honor, and maybe Dalinar saying "I am Unity" was basically just him renaming the shard

I'm not sure about the whole renaming the shard idea. Shardholders may impart their own interpretation and will over the shard initially, but there are numerous comments that

Mistborn spoilers? 

Spoiler

Ruin changed Ati as time went on, and he became more and more like the characteristic of his shard.

(I'm new to this so forgive me if that was a pointless spoiler warning)

I doubt Dalinar, even as powerful as he appears to be at this point, could just rename a trait of Adonalsium.

Having said that I don't have any better theories on what that statement means. Perhaps it's just an acceptance of / commitment to his role in the world. Or maybe it's hinting that he is the unity of the splinters of Honour.

I can't find where I heard it (will keep searching) but I'm pretty sure Brandon has confirmed that Dalinar had a moment of Ascention here - so he had a pretty significant chunk of Honour's power as he said it.

And on that note - it would make sense that "we killed you" refers to Odium and someone else (probably another shardholder?) splintering Honour, if Dalinar was holding enough to be considered a Sliver. 

5 minutes ago, Hoidonalsium said:

Having said that I don't have any better theories on what that statement means. Perhaps it's just an acceptance of / commitment to his role in the world. Or maybe it's hinting that he is the unity of the splinters of Honour.

I can't find where I heard it (will keep searching) but I'm pretty sure Brandon has confirmed that Dalinar had a moment of Ascention here - so he had a pretty significant chunk of Honour's power as he said it.

And on that note - it would make sense that "we killed you" refers to Odium and someone else (probably another shardholder?) splintering Honour, if Dalinar was holding enough to be considered a Sliver.

You guys might want to look at this theory about Odium referring to Adonalsium in that scene:

26 minutes ago, Ookla the Altruist said:

You guys might want to look at this theory about Odium referring to Adonalsium in that scene:

Thank you.

Just had a look at this quickly and it may have jumped to being my favourite Cosmere theory.

It does hold more gravitas and Brandonishness than anything that's restrictive to Rosharan events. 

21 hours ago, Edvarin said:

This saddens me more than it should. I want to know all the oaths. Its my main hunger in this series. That its only 1 and not 3....book 4 better have a ton of new oaths.

The primary reason I haven't gotten a bondsmith tattoo yet is that I'm waiting on all the oaths. So far I'm 100% on board. I filter my actions by whether or not they unite people, I 100% agree with rising again, better, each time I fall...I NEED the last oaths...
I sure hope I don't have to wait 10 years for them...

1 hour ago, bo.montier said:

The primary reason I haven't gotten a bondsmith tattoo yet is that I'm waiting on all the oaths. So far I'm 100% on board. I filter my actions by whether or not they unite people, I 100% agree with rising again, better, each time I fall...I NEED the last oaths...
I sure hope I don't have to wait 10 years for them...

Hate to break it to ya, but I highly doubt that Dalinar will finish his progression anytime soon. If he's gonna die in book 5 (or maybe ascended to Honor), then I could understand him finishing his oaths in book 5. If he's not gonna die, then I bet he'll finish them in the back 5 at some point.

Either way, that's a long ways off.

5 minutes ago, Ookla the StrooklaEZ said:

Hate to break it to ya, but I highly doubt that Dalinar will finish his progression anytime soon. If he's gonna die in book 5 (or maybe ascended to Honor), then I could understand him finishing his oaths in book 5. If he's not gonna die, then I bet he'll finish them in the back 5 at some point.

Either way, that's a long ways off.

I choose to believe you're wrong, because...Just because (finds something heavy to throw)

Edit: So, where is the info that he's going to die or ascend coming from? Assumption or WoB? I'm far more attached to the Bondsmith ideals than I am to Dalinar so this won't kill me (i'll probably cry, tho), but this is news to me.

Edited by bo.montier
Question

1 minute ago, bo.montier said:

I choose to believe you're wrong, because...Just because (finds something heavy to throw)

Yeah, I know how frustrating it is waiting for the oaths (*coughKal'sFourthIdealcough*), but if we learn them all now, what else is left for us narratively in the back 5?

2 minutes ago, Ookla the StrooklaEZ said:

Yeah, I know how frustrating it is waiting for the oaths (*coughKal'sFourthIdealcough*), but if we learn them all now, what else is left for us narratively in the back 5?

I think we'll learn most/all of them for the following:

• Lightweaver
  • Windrunner
  • Bondsmith
  • Elsecaller
  • Skybreaker (doneskies, obvs)<--Not sure why I felt the need to talk like a teenager here, but, well, there it is.

13 minutes ago, bo.montier said:

Edit: So, where is the info that he's going to die or ascend coming from? Assumption or WoB? I'm far more attached to the Bondsmith ideals than I am to Dalinar so this won't kill me (i'll probably cry, tho), but this is news to me.

Still can't find the damnation thing - but I'm sure we have a WoB stating that Dalinar can be classed as a Sliver, having had a moment of ascention (or near to it?) in order to merge the realms.

Theories of him ascending to reunite Honour are mostly coming from the confusion of who Odium is talking about when he says 'we killed you' - with one idea being that Honour was reforming after Odium et al splintered him.

I guess theories of him dying are coming from the fact that nobody is safe! And why not kill off the most powerful person at a time of crisis to create the ultimate uphill struggle in a future book?

(In no way do I want the latter to happen... Just sayin', it'd be a great twist). 

2 minutes ago, Hoidonalsium said:

Still can't find the damnation thing - but I'm sure we have a WoB stating that Dalinar can be classed as a Sliver, having had a moment of ascention (or near to it?) in order to merge the realms.

Theories of him ascending to reunite Honour are mostly coming from the confusion of who Odium is talking about when he says 'we killed you' - with one idea being that Honour was reforming after Odium et al splintered him.

I guess theories of him dying are coming from the fact that nobody is safe! And why not kill off the most powerful person at a time of crisis to create the ultimate uphill struggle in a future book?

(In no way do I want the latter to happen... Just sayin', it'd be a great twist). 

Thanks! I like him, so I hope he doesn't die, I'd be completely down with him reassembling Honor and ascending to true shard status, but then being relegated to kind of the background since he can't just godsmack (teehee) Odium.

Just now, Ookla the StrooklaEZ said:

@bo.montier I wasn't trying to make it seem like Dalinar is gonna die or ascend before the back 5. It's my opinion that if Dalinar survives or doesn't ascend before the back 5, he probably won't finish his Oaths before then, if that makes sense.

Yeah, that makes sense. I got the impression that you had some knowledge that I didn't have. 

I think we'll see a bunch, if not all, orders get rank 5 KR before the back 5, but we won't get to know what all the oaths are or what their powers look like/act like/resonances etc. by then. 

I don't necessarily need all the 4th or 5th Oaths now, but it would be nice to have all of the 3rd Oaths by book 4...Honestly I'd like to start an RP site for the KRs, but don't feel I could give it a good start without at least the 3rd Ideals...

• Chaos locked this topic