[OB] Shardplate based on OB info

NightFrost

It's also possible that Shallon genuinely doesn't realize she even HAS shardplate. She's gotten so used to her illusions  that she might not have thought twice about what she had or hadn't drawn in the past, or that most of her illusions had little-to-no mass (with the exception of the 'army' she created for the battle, which could have been the mass of stormlight or a small amount of soulcasting, according to Jasnah.)  

My point is, even if Shallon states emphatically that she doesn't think she has shardplate we shouldn't trust her. She is far from the most reliable narrator, especially regarding her own self/past. 

Also, and I forgot this above, (back a bit to the op) she definitely attracted enough creation spren during the battle. 

The illusion absored her entirely, and she lost track of everything else. Like when she was drawing. Creationspren blossomed around her by the hundred, shaped like discarded objects.

(OB 1158-9)

Additionally, the theory about default shard-plate color seems solid. We have, in OB a Dalinar Vision where he sees a Stoneward, climbing, weaing shardplate. Stoneward's gems are Topaz, and

"A figure resplendent is Shardplate-each piece visibly glowing an amber color at its edges' (OB p398) 

Add this to Shallon's being Red/Garnet and we may have a coincidence. But then, in the Purelake vision.... 

WoR, P 72 - "Not just a Shardbearer. Radiant. A Knight in resplendent Shardplate that glowed with a deep red at the joints and in certain markings"

It has been theorized (confirmed?) that this KR is a Dustbringer, and their stone is Ruby. 

3rd time's a bit much to be a coincidence. 

Shallan definitely knows something about her shardplate, we see in chapter 120:

“Another hand took Shallan’s on the right. Radiant, in glowing garnet Shardplate, tall, with braided hair. Reserved and cautious. She nodded to Shallan with a steady, determined look.”

Whether she manifested it physically or only as an illusion is up for debate though. 

5 hours ago, StormingTexan said:

In the context of that entire scene she is "calming her nerves" even before plate is mentioned so I think all of this is because of her hang up on her shardblade and talking about it with Adolin. This is pretty early on. I do not see any proof at all she has plate from this. 

I think it may be argued that she was calming down before he joked about Plate, and that it made her anxiety return. Before this she calms herself enough to respond to Adolin fully, but then her response regarding Plate might also be considered a full response.

Ambiguous enough for it to fly under our radar on a first reading, and also ambiguous enough that we aren't sure if she's lying. 

I don't think anyone mentioned it but Kaladin in chapter 31 uses windspren to deflect the storm which made me think of manifesting plate:

A hundred windspren spun in as lines of light, twisting around his arm, wrapping it like ribbons.  They surged with Light, then exploded outward in a blinding sheet, sweeping to Kaladin’s sides and parting the winds around him.
    Kaladin stood with his hand toward the tempest, and deflected it. Like a stone in a swift-moving river stopped the waters, he opened a pocket in the storm, creating a calm wake behind him.

On 11/24/2017 at 9:15 PM, emailanimal said:

Jasnah pushed a relatively light (say 200 lbs) person through her own personal strength, possibly enhanced due to spren bond. The body turned from 90% water into 100% stone increasing its mass during the flight, but keeping the momentum. the effect is as if Jasnah has shoved a ton, but she really did not.

Stormlight doesn’t add much strength though. Kaladin notes that detail after Rock shoots Amaram with the Shardbow, unassisted by plate. It says that Stormlight adds endurance, not strength. Even the “light” 200lbs is pretty friggin heavy.... sending a fully armed and armored adult male flying through the air with a one handed shove requires an inhuman amount of strength (plate) or a special ability. I do concur, something is definitely going on.

39 minutes ago, FuzzyWordsmith said:

So, a lot of people are expressing distaste for the theory that Shardplate is made of lesser spren. Why is this? Have I missed something? It seems logical to me, but a lot of people seem to hate the idea. Could someone explain it to me?

I personally was not a big fan of this idea, but at this point it is probably fruitless to come up with alternatives - the hints in this book have been pretty strong.

1 minute ago, FuzzyWordsmith said:

I understand, but WHY do people not like this idea?

Looking back, I think I disliked it because it was expressed in a way similar to how some other, certifiably incorrect, theories were expressed. "Here, I noticed this little thing, and I am going to claim that it has a HUUUGE importance".   

Except, that in this case, people advancing the theory were most likely correct.

8 minutes ago, FuzzyWordsmith said:

I understand, but WHY do people not like this idea?

Because it seems so obvious, and we tend to overthink things.  So we look deeper and deeper and see things that aren't there, we think there must be a clever twist coming or something.

1 hour ago, frozndevl said:

I haven't seen this discussed before, but if Shardblades are based off of Honorblades, what is Shardplate based off of? We've never seen a hint that the Heralds had Plate (or equivalent), so is Plate something that the Spren got together and came up with?

You know, Jezrien did wear armor in the painting.

On 24.11.2017 at 7:17 PM, NightFrost said:

Ok so end of OB we know that it requires the fourth ideal before a KR can get plate. Also we see two of our KR surrounded by spen Kal by wind and Dalinar by glory. This gives support to the plate is lesser spen theory. However I think there is something missing we know that spen can be cut by shardblades so armor made out of them would be useless. In less you change or add something to them. I believe based on the way plate behaves that it is made out of spen but then they are reinforced by stormlight condensing like water into the form of plate. This makes sense because since the blade is highly invested it would take something of equal power to block it. Also freebe plate color is determined by which gem the order a KR relates to. Like garnet for lightweavers which we see when Shallan creates Radiant during the battle of Thaylen City. "Radiant in glowing garnet Shardplate, tall, with braided hair." 

But shardblades don't cut each other either, which means spren are capable of hardening themselves this way. So I'm not sure if there is a need for an entirely different mechanism for the plate. 

7 hours ago, frozndevl said:

I haven't seen this discussed before, but if Shardblades are based off of Honorblades, what is Shardplate based off of? We've never seen a hint that the Heralds had Plate (or equivalent), so is Plate something that the Spren got together and came up with?

Necessity is the mother of invention and I am guessing the spren came up with it to protect their bonded humans. Heralds are immortal so it was probably not seen as a necessity. 

• Chaos locked this topic