[OB] Favorite character in Oathbringer

amulligan99

2 hours ago, Bacon said:

Moash. That's more about my preconceptions than anything. I fully expected him to fade into irrelevance. But believably, and practically on accident, he turned out to be one of the most important and impactful characters in the book.

Yep. I thought he was going to get a redemption arc, but his story went in a radical direction.

On 11/24/2017 at 8:51 AM, Ookla the Toasted said:

Amaram. He is a tragic figure, and I did not see that end coming, but I still love the guy.

Do you like him as a villain, or do you appreciate his ideals? The guy's deeds aren't as bad as Dalinar's back when the latter was a full blown war-mongering criminal, but Amaram is a class supremacist.

2 hours ago, straits said:

Do you like him as a villain, or do you appreciate his ideals? The guy's deeds aren't as bad as Dalinar's back when the latter was a full blown war-mongering criminal, but Amaram is a class supremacist.

I like him as a character. I don't agree with his ideals, but I can see how he would find it appealing, and I think that he genuinely thinks that it will help a lot of people. And he seems to be trying to be a good man, while at the same time being forced by his goal, his boss (and, although he doesn't realize it, by his own wish for glory), to commit crimes which he normally wouldn't want to commit (killing the spearmen). I think that this action haunts him more than he wants to show, but that he stays upright, and on course thanks to his faith and the fact that he did it for the greater good. When Odium showed him the holes in the Vorin faith, and he realized that he had become a murderer, liar and thief for nothing, he broke under the mountain of guilt, and swore to Odium in order to be free from it. That led to his corruption, and him basically turning into a monster, who was then headshot by Rock.

It also looks like his mother had high hopes for him, and wanted him to reach greatness (he mentions how she wanted him to be an awesome general in his fight with Jasnah). I think this might explain his thirst for glory. I don't think Amaram himself realizes how big that thirst is, and I don't think he considers the little he sees as bad either. 

So Amaram was brought up by a mother who wanted him to reach greatness. He tried to do what he percieved as good, had to become a villain to succeed, broke when he realized that his cause was a lie, and then had his guilt and shame used against him to turn him to the dark side, where he died without any of the glory her or his mother wished for. 

Amaram is wrong more than he is right, and he is weak enough to allow for Odium to take over, but he is not a bad person, and he is not the unreedemable villain everyone thinks he is.

That is how I see him, anyway.

My favorite character in this was definitely Jasnah! She stole my heart back in WoK, and I'm so glad we got some POV chapters for her in OB -- can't wait to read her flashback book in the back five! She is the kind of character we don't often get to see in fantasy, or media in general, and she was absolutely badass in this book!

I also really liked Lift, and Szeth is really growing on me. I loved his interactions with Nightblood. 

I wasn't too keen on a Dalinar book before starting OB, but he has now become one of my favorite characters. 

I felt like OB really explored and developed a lot of different characters so it is hard to say which is my absolute favorite. During my initial read I would have said Adolin he was pretty uninteresting and kind of one dimensional to me through the first two books but really shone in OB to me. On my second read though I have to give it to Dalinar. His arc was just too good. I always kinda liked him but his story was the highlight of this book for sure. 

Other characters I really liked

Jasnah -She was just so Jasnah.

All of Bridge 4- I know a lot of them have been fan favorites going in to this book but this was the first time they really got to shine for me.

Elhokar- I was completely indifferent regarding him before this book and Brandon got me to like him just in time to kill him off.

Szeth/Nightblood- I mean do I really need to say anything?

Lift- I want to adopt her as my daughter. 

Dalinar for overcoming so much pain and his "natural man".

Navani was has so much quiet strength.

Shallan because I no longer hate her and she really grew on me this book.

Teravangian was really interesting because I look at him now as the Denethor (LOTR reference) of the series. They both started off as good, but got a good look at the enemy strength and just kind of gave up hope of overcoming their advesary. Denthor with his palantiri and Teravengian with the Diagram.

On 11/24/2017 at 6:21 AM, PhineasGage said:

I seem to be on my own in the Kaladin camp :(

Seriously though, I still love him. Everytime I saw it was about to be a Kaladin chapter I smiled. I just want him to be happy so badly

That aside, I loved Lift - she literally 'lifts' every scene she is in.  Renarin, because OMG corrupted spren and still a good guy? amazing. Lastly Wit, because who doesn't love "The Girl that Stood Up"? 

From the perspective of the most interesting characters, Shallan wins out by a mile. The writing of her developing a dissociative identity disorder is fascinating and very well done, unlike most fictional renditions of the conditions that form the spectrum. I still like her, but I liked her better in WoR. 

Best villain? Moash because I hate him. Hate him. Even Amaram gets nowhere near as close now. He may have betrayed his men, but Moash is betraying his friends. Includng Kal, who is, as mentioned, my favourite. 

And finally, just to be controversial, I will admit to being a bit "meh" about Adolin. I do understand why people like him, and I like the juxtaposition of a normal, likable bloke to the crazies round him, but honestly, he leaves me a bit flat. I suppose, not being a likeable, normal person myself, I simply don't get him! 

Added: Argh, forgot to give Pattern an honourable mention for best one liners: "Like dividing by zero?", "Yes, seven people. Odd." and "No mating!". Math jokes ftw.

All this stuff. I agree with everything you said here, even Adolin being meh-ish, but I have to say I like Syl better than Pattern. Pattern is amusing, but I don't really feel like he's a character. Syl has personality, and I can get interested in what she's up to. Although I feel the "Captured" arc in Shadesmar was a bit rushed.

Oh, and I like that Hoid is actually getting involved in this story. He seems to care about what's going on, which is odd. But reassuring. 

You might say he's getting Invested in the storyline.

Edited by LewsTherinTalamon

I came into this book expecting Kaladin to be my favorite. I was- shocked, to say the least, when I found that I didn't like his character as much as the previous two books. I did NOT expect Adolin to become one of my favorites, but seeing him throughout the book act as an INCREDIBLE force of- gosh, I dunno. Pure goodness? That was cool. REALLY cool. Him managing to talk to his blade was pretty great. Shallan also got a lot better for me this book. Also- Elhokar. I've always liked him, but he got even better in this book. 

Spoiler

I almost put the book down when he kicked the bucket...

But Dalinar, though. He was BRILLIANT. I especially loved his scenes near the end of the book. 'You cannot have my pain'- absolutely beautiful. 

EDIT:

I forgot! Nightblood and Szeth are my new favorite power duo.

And I hate

Hate

HATE

Moash.

Screw that guy, he's beyond redemption- and it takes a lot for me to say that.

Edited by HipsterStick
Forgot something.

^^Yeah Kaladin was weird for me in this book and didnt even make my list. He had some great moments but he is really feeling repetitive. I still like him and think he will be better going forward but I think this book did not paint him in the best light. Shallan is even wielder for me. I really liked her in WoR and even the first part of this book then agin felt a little repetitive and I feel like by the end she made progress but a small step. Both of these character just seem to pail in comparison with the character growth we see in Dalinar, Adolin, Szeth, Renarin and Elhokar (R.I.P.).

Oh and the only thing better than the Szeth/Nightblood duo is the Szeth/Nightblood/Lift trio. Of course the Dalinar/Lift duo is pretty good to. 

Edited by StormingTexan

Jasnah - She's been a favorite since the first book. When she "died" in WoR I threw a fit. This book was so great for her because we got to see some humanity out of her, as well as some amazing snark (the chapter where she roasts Amaram is one of my favorite moments. As well as her taking Kaladin to task in the strategy meeting). I just love her. Like her, I'm very driven, logical and can be somewhat cold so she's just got my heart. And when she threw the doors open and had the crown on her head I cheered! 

Renarin - This boy's got my heart. He's been a favorite since WoK; I've always felt there was something more to him and I'm just so happy with what OB did for his character. And his POV chapters! My gosh, I just love him! He's by far one of the strongest and most resolute characters in the series. Dealing with all of that fear and pain on his own, always jumping in to try and help those he loves, constantly wanting to make his family proud, dealing with his corrupted spren. And my goodness, that flashback scene with Dalinar! He's so pure and I can't wait to see more!

Lopen - This guy! The chapter with the ground! I died! A constant favorite! He takes over ever scene he's in! I just love love love Lopen!

Szeth - He's been a favorite since WoK. Even when he was a villain, his duty to the code of his people and his devotion to doing what he thought was right always made him a very interesting character to me. And he just blew up in OB. The Skybreakers have always been interesting to me (JUSTICE!) I'm a dedicated Skybreaker because of this guy! Also, Nightblood is just the greatest thing ever! A sword with a relentless passion to destroy evil, I NEED IT!

Adolin - His arc with Maya! <3 And when he was going to step aside for Kaladin. Shallan does NOT deserve him! I loved how he struggled with not being a Radiant in this book and how the world he grew up in was falling down around him. He's the perfect combination of confident, handsome, boyish, funny, boastful, compassionate and just so darn good!

Honorable Mention:

Moash - He had been a favorite up until this book....... Ugh! I was so excited for a redemption arc and then...yeah. I wanted to murder him when he gave Kaladin the Bridge Four salute. I'm so upset about this guy!   

Edited by Foxx

I love how this thread is called “Favorite character in Oathbringer”, but everyone’ saying more than one character, because every character in this book was so storming good. 

For me, here’s my list (in no particular order):

Dalinar: this man’s arc was just SO GOOD, seeing his terrible past, his struggle with the Thrill, with drinking, and with his memories, culminating when all the pain comes back to him and he accepts it? So good. and “I am Unity” was the coolest moment, when he scared off Odium and took down the Thrill. 

Szeth: I really loved Szeth’s arc in this book. He didn’t get to see much of him for a while, but when we did it was so great. Him learning about the Skybreakers, and swearing the Oaths way faster than probably any other Skybreaker in a long time. Plus his interactions with Nightblood and later Lift made those parts even better. And he just shows up and Dalinar’s like “well, guess the Assassin in White, who killed my brother and nearly killed me, is on our team now. Sure!”

Nightblood: my sweet sword child was awesome all throughout, still not really understanding evil, but it tries. And it even ate its fill on Stormlight, something I don’t think we’ve seen before! Just great. Even though it almost ate Szeth and Lift.

Adolin: I really enjoyed Adolin’s arc in this book, especially how much over his head he felt, sometimes, surrounded by Radiants, a dad who’s basically a little bit of a Shard, and Voidbringers flying around everywhere. Mixed in with that, though, he was still great, taking everyone to his tailor’s house in Kholinar. And, of course, MAYA!

Elhokar: he had basically the best redemption I’ve ever seen, going from WoK when he was the ineffective, whiny king no one really liked, to Oathbringer when he was trying to become a better person, and even starting to become a KR when he was KILLED! HE WAS SWEARING THE FIRST OATH, MOASH! STORM YOU! I have strong feelings about that part. 

Maya: Honestly, who could forget Mayalaran as a best character in this book? She was awesome! When I first saw her, I just finished Part 3 and I had to leave, cliffhangering myself. But she was great! She tackled a Fused, and told Adolin her name, and came to him in 7 heartbeats! I love her. 

Kaladin: Let’s get back to the Main Guy himself. Kaladin’s progression in this book felt great, because it was unlike his other progression. It really felt like it would go the same way, with him swearing another Oath and powering up to save the day, but he couldn’t, and I thought that was a very powerful moment. Instead, he grew a lot in this book in other ways, seeing his family, accepting more his place as a Radiant, and trying to blend in with the lighteyes of the wall guard (which was really funny)

Syl: we got to learn more about everyone’s favorite honorspren, good old Sylphrena! We got to see more of her past, as the Ancient Daughter, how she was once bonded to a Radiant, and how she’s kind of a runaway and outcast from the rest of the honorspren. Very great to see more of her. 

Taln: Taln is a beautiful man, and Steeldancer’s just gonna have to share on that one. I get so emotional when reading his one lucid moment, he’s just too good for this world.

And everyone I forgot. Rock, Pattern, Lopen, Lift, Wyndle, Ash, and all the rest. 

I have to say, Pattern is my favorite, probably followed by Adolin and Jasnah.

"Wrong like dividing by zero?"

"Hmm, Yes, we are very famous."

"Hmm. Yes. Seven People. Odd."

Pattern also makes a comment to Adolin about not wanted to be stabbed that I loved.

As for Adolin, he is just the best person around - with the possible exception of Lift. But I'm most excited for his arc in the next book. It seems likely that he might be able to revive his sword (mayalaran) for a number of reasons: she loyally followed him in shadesmar, attacking a fused, she communicated her name to him, he can start feeling her emotions (i.e. reluctance when given to the Thaylen shardbearer), and most importantly she appeared in only 7 heartbeats instead of the normal 10. If Adolin is able to revive Maya, I think he can form a Nahel bond with her not by letting her fix where he is broken, but instead fixing where she is broken. I think Adolin has the perfect temperament to be an Edgedancer, and I also think he would get along quite well with Lift. I fervently hope this is the direction his plotline is going. 

I've always loved Shallan, and I really hope she... gets better... soon. I kind of wanted to strangle her at various points when she doesn't share information with people. She should TELL JASNAH EVERYTHING! ALL THE TIME!! The most disappointing scene for me was Shallan's reaction to Jasnah's return. I was expecting at least a hug there. I also kept waiting for her to confide in Navani - I think they could have a really nice mother-daughter relationship (particularly now that Navani is literally Shallan's mother-in-law). At least there was a glimmer of hope at the end that Shallan will improve. I still love her, but I miss Shallan from the first two books when she wasn't totally consumed by her own lies. 

Edited by Calyx

It was Jasnah through a majority of the book. He first on-screen appearance with the other characters was all that I hoped for. The put down of Amaram being my particular favorite. It all changed though with Taln. Very short screen time but his conversation with Ash vaulted him into my number one spot. I can't wait for his flashbacks.  

I'm going to have to list multiple characters like everyone else, but oh well. It's Brandon's fault for being too good. 

See, there's your favorite character and there's the best written characters and the best characters. My favorite character throughout the series has been Kaladin, for a multitude of reasons. Not the least of which being he's really storming cool when he wants to be (I give you that entrance at the end of WoR). However, Kaladin sort of took a back seat to Dalinar in this book, which is fine. Dalinar sure wins best written, which I guess he should considering it's "Dalinar's book". The way it's slowly revealed how tragic his past is and why he's the way he was is just fantastic, and the Rift is amazingly horrifying. And of course, the scene everyone's already mentioned- "I will not give up my pain" or whatever the exact quote was- was perfect. I'm running out of synonyms for "good".

We also have Shallan, who's slow descent into madness was highly reminiscent of Book 12 Rand. Possibly intentional. She was certainly excellently written, but I can't say her chapters were particularly more interesting because of it. 

Hoid actually gets Invested in the storyline (I shall continue to use this joke) for once, delivering one of the best speeches I've seen in a book. And his Yolish-lightweaving-storytelling scene was to his previous ones as the Apocalypse Quicksilver scene is to his previous ones.

The book also explored various Bridge 4 perspectives in a way that hadn't been done in previous books. I feel like this was well done, but we could've heard from them a bit more outside of their own chapters. Oh well. 

This book does a fantastic job of redeeming Elokhar into a likable character, and actually one of my favorites right up until everyone's least favorite character kills him. I see why he had to die for story purposes, but that timing was horrible. 

Syl remains the best spren, for previously stated reasons.

Szeth and Nightblood have some of the best non-MC (which I shall continue to insist stands for "main character") perspective chapters in these books, which is good because the interludes can be exhaustively dull until their protagonists join the main party. We get to see a subtle-ish redemption arc from Szeth, and Nightblood is Nightblood.

2 hours ago, Calyx said:

I have to say, Pattern is my favorite, probably followed by Adolin and Jasnah.

"Wrong like dividing by zero?"

"Hmm, Yes, we are very famous."

"Hmm. Yes. Seven People. Odd."

Pattern also makes a comment to Adolin about not wanted to be stabbed that I loved.

Let's also not forget Chaperone Pattern, who was just glorious.

I love pretty much every character, but my current favorite is Adolin because his story resonates with me. I have a lot of friends going through some hard times, and I want to help them the best I can, but I don't know how, and I have to juggle that with my own responsibilities and duties that I've been ignoring... Say what you want about him, but Adolin will always hold a special place in my heart.

I can't name one favorite character, so I will list a few

1 - the closest to being the tops, are Dalinar and Shallan. When I first got into Stormlight, I got to listen to one of Brandons reading of Dalinar's backstory chapters, and even though it was rather gruesome, I loved it. I was able to get through the few potentially boring parts of WoK because of my excitement to know more about Dalinar.(plus, the whole "warlord who now has to try diplomacy" was always intruguing). To see his full backstory in Oathbringer was just fantastic. Then there is Shallan. I relate to Shallan a lot. I too am a redhead who likes to draw, and learn, amongst other things. I didn't think Brandon could make me love her even more, and then Oathbringer came out and I just. . . . Storms, her character arc in this book was fantastic! Her multiple personality thing made me cringe, cry, and hurt deeply, and I can rarely get that kind of feeling from a book. 

2 - After blabbing about those two characters, I should go on to my next one: Renarin. This kid is just so storming interesting to me. Due to his disability, most people seem to mostly ignore him. Within Oathbringer, we see Jasnah comforting him, and then along with Dalinar's backstory we get to know more about Renarin's. For the longest time, all I could feel for him was pity, yet by the end of Oathbringer, he really proved himself, and was able to but his amazing abilities to good use.

3 - Szeth. His interactions with Nightblood and Lift were frankly amazing. Even without those, we got his interesting views on Justice, and how it should work. I also love the little things that he does that gives us bits of insight into Shinovar culture. He does a lot of things in very creative ways, and his ability to wield Nightblood is just incredible.

Other than that, I loved Kaladin and Lift a ton as well.

The one character that I hadn't enjoyed before but I do enjoy now:

Adolin - he had always seemed boring, flat, and too light for the story, but getting to know him better in Oathbringer, and now seeing his reactions to being in different places and situations. The little things, too. Like his love for fashion and his ability to sew, the fact that he could be friendly with Kaladin despite the love triangle, and a few other things. He just seemed way more interesting to me in this book.

1) Kaladin!!! I cannot get enough! He was storming cool even before he became a radiant, but c'mon man! He can FLY 

ok so I’m glad I’m not the only one with a list

2) Hoid/wit: he's just so storming awesome! He's extremely sarcastic, rude, but also nice and is there when you REALLY need him. 

3) Adolin: I know some people don't like him because they think he's flat, but when you really look at him, you see he's anything but. So even though EVERYONE around him is becoming Radiant and he isn't, does he get bitter and pouty? No! Instead he tries to encourage them and is there for them when they need it! Just because he isn't a drama king/queen with a ton of issues doesn't make him a bad character(looking at you, Shallan!)

4) Dalinar: He gets over his issues and stands up fights! He doesn't let his past conquer him and doesn't show it aside to deal with later...Cough ..SHALLAN... Cough.

Ok I'm done. Now to find a thread to vent about characters I hate!

Every post I read I think "Oh, them too"

Top 3

1. Renarin. Has been since Wok. We only get tastes of his story but his heart is so pure. The scene with Dalinar in the flashbacks absolutely broke me. So much suffering and mistreatment and yet he cares so much. I also loved the scene with Rock, how he turns away from his own insecurity and sits with Slain. Book Renarin can't come soon enough. 

2. Rock was so close to number one. Funny, sweet, broken and the heart of Bridge 4

3. Evi. I wish she got to see how far Dalinar (and her boys) have come. 

Adolin-Shallan-Kaladin are out because of the love triangle(not a fan).

Dalinar is the obvious choice, so he is out as well.

Whice leaves me with: Moash and Leshwi. Leshwi shows the fuzed in an interesting way+ best name in the cosmere. Moash is becoming anti-kaladin, just thinking on their inevitable clash gives me goosebumps.

Edited by Smallpox