[OB] Stories in the book-Nankhet

mariapapadia

I really hope this goes on the OB spoiler board, I am not that great when it comes to managing threads. Anyway.. 

We've got some interesting stories in Oathbringer : The girl who looked up, the story about the 3 moons and the one about Nankhet, I feel like I am missing one, but these come to my mind now. 

The one I wanted to talk about, ever since I read it in Oathbringer is the Nankhet one, about a king in Jah Keved. It's in the beginning of one of Jasnah's chapters. One king that in 3 months has 6 assasinations attempts, mostly from his family or people close to him. He survives all of them and gathers the people who tried to kill him for a feast then kills them one by one, only to die choking with the food and having no one else there to save him.

What I am curious to know if anyone has heard of a similar story or has knowledge where the inspiration for this one might have come. I am asking because there is a story in Romanian folklore that has a similar synopsis and outcome : ruler that was having problems with his subjects, invites them to a feast, then burns them and I think he dies as well. I highly doubt there is any posibility of Brandon knowing about this, as it's a very obscure story, not translated in any other language and I don't think he has any knowledge about Romanian literaturre, so I wonder if it's a motive/plot popular in other cultures as well. 

This is very similar to the story of Tantulus.

He cooked up and served his son to the Gods, and he is the also the Apical branch of the Atreus Dynasty (and the tragedy that Agammenon, Menealaus, the Greeks and Trojans in the Trojan war, and Orestes experience is a result of the curse that he caused to come down upon his family).

I don't know if there are any parallels to this king in Jah Keved other than cooking his relative and then choking on them other than it's fitting retribution that he dies because he has eliminated everyone around him and has no one to help him out.

• Chaos locked this topic