Dominion, Devotion, and Sel: the Planet Ascends

Ethan_sedai

are we sure, though? because the planet isn't just Investiture, it is a planet with a soul that has been Invested to the point of Sentience, so it isn't just Investiture like a Spren, it is more like Planet and Investiture, which is closer to Kelsier, which was his soul plus Investiture, I think (you guys convinced me that Kelsier was different, so why not the planet?)

5 hours ago, ookla the aes sedai said:

are we sure, though? because the planet isn't just Investiture, it is a planet with a soul that has been Invested to the point of Sentience, so it isn't just Investiture like a Spren, it is more like Planet and Investiture, which is closer to Kelsier, which was his soul plus Investiture, I think (you guys convinced me that Kelsier was different, so why not the planet?)

This hypotetical sentient/sapient planet would be not too dissimilar from an awakened object and an Ascended Awakened Object was already be RAFOed before (at least I remember that question in regard of Nightblood)

18 hours ago, Yata said:

This hypotetical sentient/sapient planet would be not too dissimilar from an awakened object and an Ascended Awakened Object was already be RAFOed before (at least I remember that question in regard of Nightblood)

OK. I'm going to stop. I just wrote a massive response then deleted it. Essentially, I realized how genius it would be, how well it would tie into the rest of the Cosmere, and how well it might tie into other Elantris sequels, and realized that this might be exactly what Brandon is going to do with Sel. So, just in case I'm right, I'm going to not post it, to avoid spoiling any future Selish books for the 17th shard.

Now, how to get Brandon to confirm that it would be realmatically possible, without getting RAFO'd to death or leading the rest of the 17th shard straight to the answer...

Edited by Ookla the Altruist

2 hours ago, Ookla the Altruist said:

OK. I'm going to stop. I just wrote a massive response then deleted it. Essentially, I realized how genius it would be, how well it would tie into the rest of the Cosmere, and how well it might tie into other Elantris sequels, and realized that this might be exactly what Brandon is going to do with Sel. So, just in case I'm right, I'm going to not post it, to avoid spoiling any future Selish books for the 17th shard.

by "this" do you mean your response that you deleted, or my theory? if it is my theory, then yay! First person to believe one of my theories! 

if it was your response, I, personally would be very interested to hear what you came up with. you might want to put it in spoilers, though, for potentially spoiling future books.

2 hours ago, Ookla the Altruist said:

Now, how to get Brandon to confirm that it would be realmatically possible, without getting RAFO'd to death or leading the rest of the 17th shard straight to the answer...

RAFO'd to death... sounds like it would make Alcatraz's list of unfun ways to die. 

possible, but improbable. might need to activate the Improbability Drive...

2 hours ago, ookla the aes sedai said:

by "this" do you mean your response that you deleted, or my theory? if it is my theory, then yay! First person to believe one of my theories!

At its core, it's your theory. However, I take it 4 or 5 steps deeper, throwing in a bunch of other realmatic explanations, and by and large, building the skeleton for some massive Cosmere plottwists. And I mean some beautifully perfect twists and results. The same kind of stuff that blew my mind when I was reading OB. In hindsight, it's not quite as likely to happen as I originally thoughts, and if it ever gets disproven, I'll let you know. But since it would be Cosmere-wide spoilery stuff (if accurate) I'm going to avoid writing it here.

Edit: OK. So, it's not so much that I believe your theory, as that I hope your theory is accurate.

Edited by Ookla the Altruist

16 hours ago, Ookla the Altruist said:

At its core, it's your theory. However, I take it 4 or 5 steps deeper, throwing in a bunch of other realmatic explanations, and by and large, building the skeleton for some massive Cosmere plottwists. And I mean some beautifully perfect twists and results. The same kind of stuff that blew my mind when I was reading OB. In hindsight, it's not quite as likely to happen as I originally thoughts, and if it ever gets disproven, I'll let you know. But since it would be Cosmere-wide spoilery stuff (if accurate) I'm going to avoid writing it here.

that makes sense, and thanks for being willing to let me know.

16 hours ago, Ookla the Altruist said:

Edit: OK. So, it's not so much that I believe your theory, as that I hope your theory is accurate

eh, good enough. 

On 6-12-2017 at 6:15 AM, Ookla the Altruist said:

Edit: OK. So, it's not so much that I believe your theory, as that I hope your theory is accurate.

Just make a post/thread about it. Predicting what's going to happen is basically what this subforum is about. (well, and understanding more of the world of course)

Also, it's not gonna spoil anything, because you don't have any inside information what's going to happen. If you're incorrect, we had a good read and then get another good read once Brandon gets to it. If you're correct, we have a good read and then another good read because we're like "yes it's correct, and that's correct too and OH MY GOD THIS IS CORRECT TOO", and at any point Brandon might divert from what you've theorized, so there's no suspense lost.

(and if you're really unwilling to write it up just PM it to me please :))

I kind of feel the same as @Ookla the Leyspren, if you don't want to post it to everyone, just PM it to me, also, please.

PS. If anyone finds new info, but it has been a while, I'm ok if you want to necro this thread, since it's mine.

Edited by ookla the aes sedai

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

hey, everyone! yes, I know that this post is a necro.*

but, since I started this thread,  I hope that it's ok. 

I got confirmation about this (kind of) from Brandon at the most recent signing! 

Would it be possible for an inanimate object that was invested to the point of sentience Ascend to Shardhood?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

To become a Vessel of Adonalsium, or become a Shard through...? This is a tricky question because the power left alone will become sapient. And at that point, the distinction between being a Shard and a Vessel is fine but still extant. And I would say the power could not become a Vessel in the same way because it's defined as something different. But it is possible for the power to be left alone and to gain sapience on its own.

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

The example we were thinking of was Sel. It was stated in Arcanum that the landscape itself was invested to the point of.. Could the planet of Sel be the Vessel of Devotion?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

At this point, it's playing semantics, and I would say no. But there are people in-Cosmere that would argue that the semantic distinction is irrelevant and that it is the same.

so, the answer is kind of. 

On 11/23/2017 at 2:44 PM, ethan sedai said:

[Quoting AU] I've begun to wonder if something greater is happening on Sel than we, at Silverlight, have guessed. Something with origins lost in time.

Isn't there a WoB about Adonalsium wanting to make the Cosmere fully self-conscious or some such thing?

6 hours ago, Ripheus23 said:

Isn't there a WoB about Adonalsium wanting to make the Cosmere fully self-conscious or some such thing?

Is this what you're thinking of?

CosmereQuestioner

The background to my question is this:

It was once stated by Mr Sanderson that "Magic in the cosmere needs a guiding force.  If it doesn't have one, the magic itself will gain sentience."  We also have that things like Nightblood that gained sentience because of crazy amounts of investiture.

My question then is:

"Is the reason that investiture has this tendency to lead to sentience caused by the fact that pre-Shattering Adonalsium had a goal/purpose/intent of bringing sentience to his universe."

(I guess this is in a way a 2 part question, because it assumes that Adonalsium actually HAD the intent of bringing sentience to his cosmere)

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, this is part of the reason.  Good question!

source

• Chaos locked this topic