[OB] Why Moash?

UpLifted

Whoooo boy! 

Just got through my first read of OB last night (dang grad school papers!) and I have about 1,001 questions. But here's one for now. 

I've seen a lot of discussion regarding what exactly the dagger that was used to...something...Jezrien was and how it functioned. But I haven't seen anyone ask yet why Moash was chosen by the Fused or likely by Odium himself to....something... Jezrien. If it was merely a function of the knife's power being needed to be used on Jezrien then seemingly anyone could have used it, no? Why then would such an important task fall to a wild card like Moash? It appears to be a test of sorts to see where Moash's loyalties truly lie, but is it that simple, or is there something more afoot? It seems to great a risk on the part of Odium to give the task to a human who he has less control over. 

I don't really have an answer. Just the question. Any thoughts?

Edited by UpLifted

I think it’s sntirely possible that this was a test of loyalty. I’m not sure why the Fused didn’t do it, but I saw someone point out once that this would be an uncomfortable reminder for them that they too are mortal and potentially vulnerable to that weapon, which I think is an interesting idea.

It may be something as simple as that the blade hadn't been used before and they didn't know if it would work. Perhaps they thought Jezrien might be able to fight back or do something "heraldy" to kill the one wielding it. Moash may have been a useful tool, in that if he suceeded, he could be used again for similar purposes but was also expendable.

I doubt this is the only reason, given the way Sanderson writes, but it would fit in with the way the Fused seemed so worried about what was going to happen.

• 3 weeks later...

I think Odium is holding Moash to be his new champion. He worked so long on Dalinar and Amaram only to lose them both at Thaleyn city. He's the void and he takes all feeling. He didn't give Moash a chance to refuse that offer and left him in a general apathy. I think this is to make Moash dependent on him for feeling alive like he tried to make for Dalinar. 

It'd make a poignant face off to have Moash be the enemy champion while Sanderson is clearly paving the way for Kaladin to be Roshar's. I just can't tell if this will be what pushes Kaladin to state the fourth ideal or the fifth one. Obviously the fourth is connected in some way to losing people, which is why Kaladin couldn't say it in Shadesmare.

• Chaos locked this topic