[OB] Lift cannot breathe in stormlight

Peet

10 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I don't know why she hasn't thought of how she could use her abilities to get infinite free meals from people. Injured people could just come to her with food. She'd put all of Kharbranth out of business and be fed constantly. Sounds like heaven.

She'd be a sort of itinerant doctor, that heals people that are bedridden/crippled/whatever in exchange for them cooking her meals.  (She'd be a lot happier doing that than sitting in an office all day being brought food and miserable people)

No, no, no. Lift does not get paid in food, she steals food. This is her main ambition in life, to steal peoples food. If people gave it to her freely she would lose all purpose in life, and likely become suicidal, which is problematic because she'd have to stop eating to kill herself, and she really likes eating. Poor Lift.

8 minutes ago, Landis963 said:

She'd be a sort of itinerant doctor, that heals people that are bedridden/crippled/whatever in exchange for them cooking her meals.  (She'd be a lot happier doing that than sitting in an office all day being brought food and miserable people)

That'd work too. I was putting myself in her shoes a bit too much since I would absolutely love to just laze around, eat constantly, and stay fit because I'm burning all those calories by touching people for a second. But she could also hear about someone who needs healing, sneak into their houses, steal/eat their food and then come back to heal them after they go to sleep hungry and confused. Basically a reverse Batman

Edited by Bacon

I think this was mentioned earlier about how long she can store Stormlight here is the quote from Edgedancer. 

She didn’t use her awesomeness, which was running out anyway. She hadn’t eaten since last night, and if she didn’t use the power, it eventually vanished. Took about half a day; she didn’t know why.

Sanderson, Brandon. Arcanum Unbounded: The Cosmere Collection (p. 584). Tom Doherty Associates. Kindle Edition. 

Great quote @StormingTexan

That really settles it then, Lift can store stormlight for much longer than other radiants. It would make sense metabolically too. I would see this as not the stormlight leaking, but rather her body simply exhausting the glucose provided by the food and having any to convert it to stormlight as a result. I'd still be interested in the exact mechanism of it, but it does open up a range of possibilities for our characters. Throw the radiants in jail without spheres, Lift has half a day of awesomeness to get out with while the others have nothing beyond the period of time they can hold their breath.

Yeah and just the availability. As abundant as spheres are it is still a finite amount of stormlight until they are recharged with a storm. We saw where things got sketchy before the Highstorm early on and without Dalinar recharging everything during the battle they would have probably been toast. Lift just needs to find a loaf of bread and then game on. She even overcame Nale's Larkin drain which no one else would be able to do. 

This makes her impervious to Larkins and still able to function when the other KR may be out due to lack of stormlight. This could be a critical advantage in a battle, if she has a food source.

Edited by GoddessIMHO
I hadn't read StormingTexan's reply before posting mine. Great minds hey?

1 minute ago, GoddessIMHO said:

This makes her impervious to Larkins and still able to function when the other KR may be out due to lack of stormlight. This could be a critical advantage in a battle, if she has a food source.

Hopefully someone will get her a book so she's armed. 

"Lord Radiant, I understand why we're carting around a wagonload of spheres, that's where you radiants get your powers from, but why are we carting a wagon with a giant loaf of bread in it?"

"We baked Lift into the centre of the loaf, by the time she eats her way out she'll be ready to fight."

• Chaos locked this topic