[OB] Unite them!

Lightning

So, I've been wondering what exactly "unite them" means.

Gavilar apparently took it to mean unite the humans into a single controlled kingdon.

Much of the time, it appears Dalinar took it to mean unite humans in a coalition.

At the end of Oathbringer, it is hinted that it could also refer to his act of uniting the three realms.

I wonder, though, if it couldn't presage an even bigger act of unity-- uniting the shards of Adonalsium together again.

Something as large as reforging Adonalsium probably won’t happen until the last Mistborn trilogy or he writes the Dragonsteel stuff. For Stormlight it’s more likely to reference reforming Honor, or any combination of the countries/races on Roshar.

Edited by RazeU

Understandable. But Odium's response -- "WE KILLED YOU" -- is indicative to me that we're talking about something bigger than just Honor, or any individual shard. Brandon has stated that Dalinar is one of the first Cosmere characters he ever cooked up, and I see his place within the Cosmere as much bigger than just helping to stave off Odium's attacks on Roshar.

5 hours ago, RazeU said:

Get what you’re saying, but it seems way too much too soon considering how many Cosmere works are left to come. 

The Stormlight Archive is in the latter half of the Cosmere timeline, according to a WoB that I found... somewhere... I do realize that there are many many books to be written still, but it could be that Stormlight is nearer to the end of the timeline than we thought.

Well, truthfully, I've always thought that UNITE THEM was probably referring to Dalinar's five fingers... Then uniting that united unit with other people's facial units.

Edited by avus

If he is to reunite Adonalsium he would need to first reforge honor to counter Odium (kind of like what Harmony does). If he kills Rayse and takes his shard without another one to balance Odium he will fail because Odium destroys shards, here doesn't assume/integrate them into himself. He'd also have to kill Cultivation somehow as well as the other Shardholders. 

With Brandon's concept of having each series as individually consumable entries within the Cosmere, I highly doubt that it is an allusion to uniting Adonalsium. In my mind, it will still be Roshar-centric and I personally am a fan of the unity of all the regions and races of Roshar, Parshendi, Shin, Amians and Humans. 

As a side note, I'm still skeptical of the theory that Dalinar Ascended during the final moments of OB. The scope of his Ascendancy (Ascension?) seem so much more limited than everything we know about other characters that have Ascended. It is heavily hinted throughout the book that the current incarnation of the Stormfather is different from previous ones since Honour was killed. I suspect that Dalinar is capable of these feats is because he has bonded the most "powerful" version of the Stormfather, because it is more of a Splinter than it formerly was.

10 minutes ago, Mondaysjelly said:

With Brandon's concept of having each series as individually consumable entries within the Cosmere, I highly doubt that it is an allusion to uniting Adonalsium. In my mind, it will still be Roshar-centric and I personally am a fan of the unity of all the regions and races of Roshar, Parshendi, Shin, Amians and Humans. 

As a side note, I'm still skeptical of the theory that Dalinar Ascended during the final moments of OB. The scope of his Ascendancy (Ascension?) seem so much more limited than everything we know about other characters that have Ascended. It is heavily hinted throughout the book that the current incarnation of the Stormfather is different from previous ones since Honour was killed. I suspect that Dalinar is capable of these feats is because he has bonded the most "powerful" version of the Stormfather, because it is more of a Splinter than it formerly was.

A Sliver is defined as a person who has held or holds a large part of the power of a Shard.  Since Dalinar is bonded to the Stormfather, and is able to create Honor's perpendicularity at will, I think he qualifies as a Sliver.  So he Ascended, similar to how Vin did at the end of Well of Ascension.

I see Dalinar as the future holder of all the Shards: the Unity of Adonalsium again. He is probably the single most broken soul in the Cosmere, so it would make sense that he could be bonded strongly to each Shard since he has so many cracks.

• Chaos locked this topic