Nice to see a new upvoting system

Walin

I see that we can only upvote now, and then retract that vote. Good thing! I've seen people take out their disagreement with downvoting, which, much like in reddit, is both an inappropriate and somewhat common response. The voting system is to appreciate how well-thought-out posts are, and occasionally to cheer a great idea. Taking the power to express anger via downvotes, I think, is a pretty good idea, for a number of reasons.

1-People who give factual information in a ship thread to disprove stuff won't get the heck downvoted out of them. I've never been a target of this, but I have seen it happen and it kind of discourages arguing against the crowd.

2-When people get a high number of "you got an upvote" messages, but few upvotes, it makes it seem like their post was polarizing and is getting a lot of hate (and support) for it. Again, this hasn't happened to me, but I know that people have left the Shard because of it. Now when this happens, it's shown that the reason is because many of the upvoters thought a post deserved, say, 5 upvotes, and are removing their upvotes to keep it at the level they want (not downvoting because they hate it).

3-I like lists. I'm putting a reason 3. I also like meta humor, which is why I put the last sentence. I also like to give context for my humor because much of it is cliche, and thus I put a legitimate reason for it, like the last sentence. I also like to follow the Rule Of Three, which is why I put the last sentence. I also like Excessively Long Jokes, which is why I put the last sentence and this one. I forgot why I was going to write this sentence. The preceding sentence was supposed to be different.

Hi! I did remove the ability to downvote earlier today.

I have long been a proponent of having downvotes. It's a very good way to censure abrasive people who jerks, after all, and the community can police themselves. Great idea, right? Then the community can see the average opinion on a post. That's all great in theory and it does generally identify abrasive, jerkish behavior very effectively. So I've been a pretty big proponent of downvotes historically.

It worked when we were a smaller community. Downvotes were used sparingly. As things progressed, that's changed. Downvotes are given out flippantly, silencing discussion on some topics and people get very hurt. A lot of times it's just people hashing things out in discussion and downvotes--despite being anonymous--still causes discussion to escalate. If it doesn't help discourse be better, what's the point of us having it? 

Reddit's advantage to downvotes and upvotes is that posts are actually sorted by that amount and stuff people don't like is auto-hidden. It's nice. Topics do not sort by reputation, and instead are chronological. It's different. That means rep as a community average isn't as valuable here as it is there. 

Reputation is supposed to be fun and useful. Downvotes often are not this. 

If you are reading out there and worried about downvotes going away, there's still a report button. Jerks won't be tolerated. Use it :D 

I will say that in the next site update (December maybe) we will be moving to a reaction system, similar to Facebook, where you can more accurately say why you "liked" a particular post. 

I like this. However, I have a question - after I upvote a post, a downvote arrow appears. Does this mean I can change my mind later and un-vote posts now? Does it continue, could I upvote it again after that? I am curious, but decided not to experiment on anyone's post :ph34r:

Edited by Aleksiel

17 minutes ago, Aleksiel said:

I like this. However, I have a question - after I upvote a post, a downvote arrow appears. Does this mean I can change my mind later and un-vote posts now? Does it continue, could I upvote it again after that? I am curious, but decided not to experiment on anyone's post :ph34r:

That's what that means; that's how you undo giving rep.

I actually use the downvote button when I think someone is needlessly rude or in an other way obnoxious but it isn't so bad that I feel like I want to use the report button, is there any other way (apart from a reply, which at that point is probably annoyed in itself because I am annoyed by that person) that I can express this?

1 hour ago, Leyrann said:

I actually use the downvote button when I think someone is needlessly rude or in an other way obnoxious but it isn't so bad that I feel like I want to use the report button, is there any other way (apart from a reply, which at that point is probably annoyed in itself because I am annoyed by that person) that I can express this?

Report it anyway, we would like to know rude and obnoxious people and monitor them.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I am really glad I joined this site when I did. I use Reddit and I enjoy it but I get downvoted a lot, because I am pretty honest about the way I feel about things and if it isn't the way someone else feels then they downvote me to show me that they disagree. That means I dont post a different opinion because I dont want to get downvoted and then it turns into groupthink so Quickly.

So I am a huge fan and Im glad it was like this when I joined caue i would probably be negative karma right now for my feelings on Moash :)

@ChaosI sometimes feel like some people get more upvotes than their posts warrant; for example I got 7 upvotes just for getting the first reaction thread up about the small site change. And the AKS thread was an upvote generator, as opposed to some other theory threads that got only a few upvotes. Though that's less of a problem with the upvote system and more of a me-being-picky-about-my-opinions sort of thing. So actually, that wasn't meant to be a complaint but more of a notification that I like short theory discussion with some upvotes rather than an ongoing thread with just a bunch of opinions being expressed for the course of eight years. But AKS was only a few weeks so I don't really have a problem with it.

23 hours ago, Chaos said:

I'm curious how people feel this has changed discourse on the forums in the past week or two. Good? Bad? There's always pros and cons, so I'm curious what people think.

I haven't been very active on the site for the past two months, but I've been browsing around for the past week and things feel different. Obviously there's always a huge shock and influx of new members when a major book like OB comes out, but still. I do agree that I've seen a lot of posts with strangely high rep levels that seem very disconnected to the merit of the posts. I've also noticed a couple of really contentious threads where people have just been outright jerks, which is definitely not something I'm used to on the Shard. I'm not sure if that's because of the influx of new members or the more limited ability to self-police or a combination of the two. There's definitely been a strange vibe since I got back though, and I guess it's just weird.