[OB] polygamy will save Roshar

Steeldancer

Possible Odious loophole to an otherwise devious plan, here is the pledge that Odium makes to Taravangian (emphasis mine):

"Kharbranth," Odium said. "The city itself, and any humans who have been born into it, along with their spouses. This is whom I will spare. Do you agree to this?"

"Should we write . . . a contract?"

"Our word is the contract. I am not some spren of Honor, who seeks to obey only the strictest letter of a promise. If you have an agreement from me, I will keep it in spirit, not merely in word"

"Any humans who have been born into it", seems like very strange language, this suggests he might be leaving out the elliptical qualifier of Natively born to it, meaning this wording would only cover Life native to Roshar, the listeners, but then they too are excluded by the "any human" qualifier. So this could essentially be a null promise, making this an agreement for Odiumj to save any human listener that can have their ancestry traced back to Kharbranth. Pretty easy promise to keep.

The other interesting way for Odium to wriggle out of this promise deals with the second emphasized passage "If you have an agreement from me, I will keep it in spirit, not merely in word". Who is the shard trapped in damnation with the deathless souls of listeners? This might be the salvation for Kharbranthians that Odium imagines, saving them from final death by imprisoning their souls in damnation eternally. Kharbranthians might not thank Mr. T for this one though.

Too bad T is having a dense day, he might have seen these potentially catastrophic loopholes if he was smart enough to rule out the polygamy option because not enough people would pass his IQ tests.

Haha, funny thought. Though I think that Odium would not accept those people as part of Kharbranth, as since he's following the agreement in spirit, he would only accept those who truly consider Kharbranth their home. Odium specifically said he wouldn't allow the option of saving anyone Taravangian ruled over, as King T was/is planning to rule over everyone on Roshar, so I'm certain the same rule applies to this whether it's by Taravangian becoming king of Roshar or by making everyone part of Kharbranth - neither option is acceptable to the guy. 

6 hours ago, hoiditthroughthegrapevine said:

Possible Odious loophole to an otherwise devious plan, here is the pledge that Odium makes to Taravangian (emphasis mine):

"Any humans who have been born into it", seems like very strange language, this suggests he might be leaving out the elliptical qualifier of Natively born to it, meaning this wording would only cover Life native to Roshar, the listeners, but then they too are excluded by the "any human" qualifier. So this could essentially be a null promise, making this an agreement for Odiumj to save any human listener that can have their ancestry traced back to Kharbranth. Pretty easy promise to keep.

The other interesting way for Odium to wriggle out of this promise deals with the second emphasized passage "If you have an agreement from me, I will keep it in spirit, not merely in word". Who is the shard trapped in damnation with the deathless souls of listeners? This might be the salvation for Kharbranthians that Odium imagines, saving them from final death by imprisoning their souls in damnation eternally. Kharbranthians might not thank Mr. T for this one though.

Too bad T is having a dense day, he might have seen these potentially catastrophic loopholes if he was smart enough to rule out the polygamy option because not enough people would pass his IQ tests.

I'm confused, though; Odium specifically says that he will keep the spirit of the agreement, not the letter--that means that there is no possibility for a loophole.  A loophole is specifically keeping the letter of an agreement or law, while violating the spirit or intent.

Also, remember that Mr T was specifically barred by law from making or passing any laws, judgments, or changes to the Diagram on that day.  I'm pretty sure that means that Odium is free to do whatever he storming wants as the agreement was not ever binding.  Sooo, hopefully someone will mention that to the Diagramites before they throw all in.

1 minute ago, kaellok said:

Also, remember that Mr T was specifically barred by law from making or passing any laws, judgments, or changes to the Diagram on that day.

That's an agreement between Mr T and his aides. Odium has no part of that agreement and is not bound by it. If Mr T has violated a previous agreement he will have to address it with the stakeholders in that agreement, but it in no way invalidates his agreement with Odium.

1 minute ago, kaellok said:

I'm confused, though; Odium specifically says that he will keep the spirit of the agreement, not the letter--that means that there is no possibility for a loophole.  A loophole is specifically keeping the letter of an agreement or law, while violating the spirit or intent.

Also, remember that Mr T was specifically barred by law from making or passing any laws, judgments, or changes to the Diagram on that day.  I'm pretty sure that means that Odium is free to do whatever he storming wants as the agreement was not ever binding.  Sooo, hopefully someone will mention that to the Diagramites before they throw all in.

While I'm inclined to agree that Odium probably intends to keep the spirit of the agreement, I will note that just because he says he'll keep the spirit of the agreement doesn't mean he isn't lying. ;)

Also, by saying that Odium will keep the spirit of the agreement, that implies he likely expects Taravangian to do the same: Those born as Kharbranthians and ONE spouse each will be saved, lol.

• Chaos locked this topic