[OB] Highmarshal Azure

Topomouse

Hello everyone. 

I still have not fineshed the book, I am at 90% according to my eReader, but I have a little question for the community. 

It seems that everyone here is sure that Azure is actually Vivenna, but I am unconvinced. 

I am not certain that she is not, and she is obviously from Nalthis, but could she not be a simple awakener? Maybe a descendent of Siri and Susebron? I admit I am not clear about the time difference between the books.

Also, after reading Words of Radiance I was unconvinced about Zahel being Vasher, so maybe I just have a blind spot towards Nalthis characters ;)

The tell was her story about running from responsibilities, like Vivenna avoided her responsibilities in Warbreaker. Even when she thought she was helping, she was actually doing what she wanted to do for herself, not what she needed to do for her kingdom. And now that she's on another world, she's not just abandoned her family, but her world.

She's 100% from Nalthis, hence the name Azure, and the colorful idioms.

I don't think it was humanly possible for Brandon to make it more obvious she was Vivenna without writing "THIS IS VIVENNA" in the margins.

She talks about knowing a princess who abandoned their royal duties, she has hair that changes colors in Shadesmar, she knows Vasher's Kata, she is specifically looking for Vasher, she is searching for a sword that leaks black smoke.

1 hour ago, Subvisual Haze said:

I don't think it was humanly possible for Brandon to make it more obvious she was Vivenna without writing "THIS IS VIVENNA" in the margins.

She talks about knowing a princess who abandoned their royal duties, she has hair that changes colors in Shadesmar, she knows Vasher's Kata, she is specifically looking for Vasher, she is searching for a sword that leaks black smoke.

Pretty much this. It would be white on black not to realise..

actually I think we need to petition BS for a Nalthis colour swear / exclaimation chart if there isn't one already so we know exactly what Vash and Vi are talking about when they make claims like that (cos I'm really not sure half the time...).

14 hours ago, Rainier said:

The tell was her story about running from responsibilities, like Vivenna avoided her responsibilities in Warbreaker. Even when she thought she was helping, she was actually doing what she wanted to do for herself, not what she needed to do for her kingdom. And now that she's on another world, she's not just abandoned her family, but her world.

I will have to re-read that passage, but if I remember correctly she says that she fulfilled her duty by passing it to someone more fit to that duty, which later inspired Adolin to give up the crown. But that is at most an a-posteriori justification of what Vivenna did. 

On the other hand :

14 hours ago, kmosiman said:

I believe that Brandon confirmed that Vivenna would be in Oathbringer.

Yeah, if Vivenna is in the book, she is 100% Azure. 

10 minutes ago, Topomouse said:

I will have to re-read that passage, but if I remember correctly she says that she fulfilled her duty by passing it to someone more fit to that duty, which later inspired Adolin to give up the crown. But that is at most an a-posteriori justification of what Vivenna did. 

On the other hand :

Yeah, if Vivenna is in the book, she is 100% Azure. 

Azure is on Roshar only for an year, she know the same Kata Adolin and Kaladin know and They are both trained by Zahel into swordplay.

Honestly, I don't believe Brandon could point to her as Vivenna without making her say "Hi, my name is Vivenna"...In her scenes she gives every kind of clue about her origin and status and magical ability and connections to vasher.

We knew also (for more than an year) that Vivenna is on Roshar to find Vasher

42 minutes ago, Yata said:

Azure is on Roshar only for an year, she know the same Kata Adolin and Kaladin know and They are both trained by Zahel into swordplay.

Honestly, I don't believe Brandon could point to her as Vivenna without making her say "Hi, my name is Vivenna"...In her scenes she gives every kind of clue about her origin and status and magical ability and connections to vasher.

We knew also (for more than an year) that Vivenna is on Roshar to find Vasher

If we have Words of Brandon about Vivenna 's presence in Oathbringer / on Roshar, yeah Azure is the best candidate.

But I was basing myself only on informations from the book itself. And using only those informations, it is hardly certain that Azure is Vivenna and not another awakener from Nalthis. 

Just now, Topomouse said:

If we have Words of Brandon about Vivenna 's presence in Oathbringer / on Roshar, yeah Azure is the best candidate.

But I was basing myself only on informations from the book itself. And using only those informations, it is hardly certain that Azure is Vivenna and not another awakener from Nalthis. 

She has to be an Awakener with the Royal Locks with a Type-4 Entity and with her background of mistrust and duty avoided.

• Chaos locked this topic