[OB] Rock is the Horneater King

NightFrost

14 hours ago, NightFrost said:

Uh where you learn about Rock being part Singer?

Here you go. 

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/188/#e3922

HorseCannon

I didn't realize horneaters had parshmen blood, didn't even realize that was possible. How closely are humans and parshmen related, do they have a common ancestor? Or is one an artificially created version of the other?

Brandon Sanderson

There was intermixing long ago. Horneaters and Herdazians are both a result. (Signs of this are the stone carapace on Herdazian fingernails and the Horneater extra jaw pieces--in the back of the mouth--for breaking shells.)

Humans and parshmen don't have a common ancestor. And as a side note, both of these strains of humanoids predate the ascension of Honor, Cultivation, and Odium.

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 10:54 AM, Stairdweller said:

Are we sure that horneater leadership is hereditary in the same way as Alethi?  I ask because if Nuatomas are first sons, then gor generations A) they've been ignoring the prohibition on fighting to go challenge shardbearers and B ) the horneaters have been sending their farmer-lords to fight shardbearers!  No wonder they didn't win any shards!

Also.... Are we just going to gloss over Rock being part Singer?

Rock: "Name is poem." Poems and songs are related. I wonder if that is the legacy of the Parshendi blood.

Well... Also I was going by Rock being able to hear the rhythms and see the true forms of spren.  And having a "special heritage."  Also in humanoids red pigmentation seems limited to horneaters and singers; I thought hormeaters may have gotten it from the singers. 

Given WoB on herdazians and horneaters, is there anything special about the heritage of the Iriali (metallic golden hair and skin)?  Or the Thaylens and their mega-brows?

1 hour ago, Stairdweller said:

Well... Also I was going by Rock being able to hear the rhythms and see the true forms of spren.  And having a "special heritage."  Also in humanoids red pigmentation seems limited to horneaters and singers; I thought hormeaters may have gotten it from the singers.

I thought Rock being able to see Spren was because he had gone bathing in the perperndicularity (the Shadsemar portal lake at the top of one of the mountains of his homeland. Pretty sure he's mentioned it in TWoK when he's talking to Kaladin about being able to see spren. Something to do with the holy waters of his homeland (also how me met Hoid walking out of the lake) and that the skill isn't for airsick lowlanders.

1 minute ago, Egomere said:

I thought Rock being able to see Spren was because he had gone bathing in the perperndicularity (the Shadsemar portal lake at the top of one of the mountains of his homeland. Pretty sure he's mentioned it in TWoK when he's talking to Kaladin about being able to see spren. Something to do with the holy waters of his homeland (also how me met Hoid walking out of the lake) and that the skill isn't for airsick lowlanders.

He wasn't bathing in the perpendicularity. The perpendicularity is only on the bottom of the lake.

2 minutes ago, Leyrann said:

He wasn't bathing in the perpendicularity. The perpendicularity is only on the bottom of the lake.

The lake has the perpendicularity though mere pendantry the exact location in said lake... (although I didn't know the perp. was on bottom I reckon I just thought that the whole lake acted like it for some reason...)

I assumed that the funny power of being able to see spren came from bathing the lake with the perpendicularity was due to ermm 'seepage' - due to the connection between the realms some form of physical - cognative spillover occurs with the volcanic water so Horneaters can pick up the ability (due to closeness of the realms trough some attunement connection) - they can see spren easily because of this.

4 minutes ago, Stairdweller said:

In Way of Kings, Kaladin's internal monologue states that Rock said his ability to see spren is something he was born with.  I'll see if I can find the page reference.  I think it's when they are out gathering rocks.

doesn't necessarily mean my base theory about it being an ability due to exposure and proximity to perpendicularity is wrong (just that it's a natural thing for horneaters (maybe certain horneater families or something rather than developing post birth.

• Chaos locked this topic